Skip to main content

Two-year deal for LB Clay Matthews with the #Rams worth a max of $16.75 million, source says. He had more lucrative offers on the table but he just welcomed his third child and really wanted to play close to home. Plus, a shot at another ring doesn’t hurt

Goldie posted:

I want a thread that just lists the Packers that are staying, the Packers that are going and names of the new Packers.  JUST A LIST,  no extra writing, just names.  Is that possible??  

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/

Right hand column, under "2019 Free Agents".  They update this list as changes happen.

DH13 posted:

We'll be rolling with a very inexperienced receivers group this season. 

Roster isn't finalized  & season hasn't started yet. 

YATittle posted:

Can't believe no one signed Perry yet.

Yeah....shocker. That whole missing flights & late to team meetings might mean something to a future employer.

When you treat playing football like a 9-5 job, you're not going to be highly successful.

Boris posted:
DH13 posted:

Roster isn't finalized  & season hasn't started yet. 

Not much moola left for a decent FA WR.  Not to mention all these guys will be learning a new offense.  2020 is looking more and more like the goal.

yesterday was a sad day with Cobb and Clay leaving. Reminded me of when Bart was let go as coach. Just a punch in the gut. You wish they could have recaptured their greatness but it wasnt meant to be. Favres departure was so different from what happened yesterday. Sad with Clay and Cobb, pissed with Favre. 

It’s part of the business.  Players come and go all the time. 

Honestly, I’m not that sad at all.  CMIII has been stealing money the last couple of years.  To a lesser extent, same thing with Cobb.   

Best of luck to both of them but the Packers made the right move not bringing them back. 

Perry can be an elite edge guy...IF he can stay healthy. And that's the real "other than that, how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?" issue.

I love CM3, one of my all time favorite Packers...but $8M a year for a 33 year old who has clearly lost a step?  I'm glad Gutentight took a pass.

michiganjoe posted:

Best of luck to both Clay and Randall. It's a bottom-line business with little room for sentimentality. 

Sentimentality is reserved for clubs who have made the playoffs the last two years.

Like the saying goes, "If you're staying the same or not getting better, you're getting worse". 

And that's the correct mindset Gutey had moving on from these guys, including Perry. 

The Bears, Rams, Saints, etc have all gotten better. The Packers had not. 

Time to get better. 

Chongo posted:

Perry can be an elite edge guy...IF he can stay healthy. And that's the real "other than that, how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?" issue.

I love CM3, one of my all time favorite Packers...but $8M a year for a 33 year old who has clearly lost a step?  I'm glad Gutentight took a pass.

I'm not convinced of this. We've seen him be a good edge player, double digit sacks and good against the run, but in his best season (2016) he only notched 47 pressures. 11 sacks and 47 pressures is good, but it's faaaaar from elite. I don't think Perry was ever going to be elite, regardless of health. Good, probably solid career maybe with a few good seasons sporadically, but never taking that next step. 

DH13 posted:
 2020 is looking more and more like the goal.

That's what Goalline thinks too. 😉

I think division title is a distinct possibility in 2019.

If the Pack can earn that first, they have the QB to carry them. Hopefully a solid defense too.

Here's link for Vogel.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2...actions-justin-vogel

Last edited by Boris
Floridarob posted:

yesterday was a sad day with Cobb and Clay leaving. Reminded me of when Bart was let go as coach. Just a punch in the gut. You wish they could have recaptured their greatness but it wasnt meant to be. Favres departure was so different from what happened yesterday. Sad with Clay and Cobb, pissed with Favre. 

It is kind of sad day with Clay and Cobb leaving but at the same time but I think we all pretty much had been prepared for it for awhile.  Sucks yes but that is the thing about the modern NFL is that rosters will churn quickly and you have to make hard decisions based upon whether a player can actually help a team anymore.

I don't remember Bart the player but I do remember Bart the coach.  I will always remember one Monday on his show where all he could find positive about the Packers was how high the punter kicked the ball the day before.  I knew then it was time for him to be gone.  I got it at the time that he was biggest link to the glory years but it was just time.

DH13 posted:

Yeah, after Adams and Allison. I mean, our receiver group realistically was even less experienced last year with Cobb missing for most of the season. I think 2019 looks better at receiver than 2018 with the top 4 WR's (pending the draft) all having some experience. I think the challenge will be getting the new offense implemented more so than the experience of the WR's. 

DH13 posted:

Scantling and St. Brown each got probably 2-3 years of snaps with AR in a regular season games last year when compared to Adams.  Also last year the difference between the number of targets and the number of receptions for both receivers narrowed quite a bit as the season went on.  So that was good.  If Adams and Allison can stay healthy GB will be fine.  The wild card for me is how quickly the players will learn this new offense as directed by MLF.  Because what is clear to me is that AR not only needs to trust his receivers, but the coaching as well.  That is a lot to ask for in one season.  But who knows, everything could come together in TC and they end up playing in the SB.  

Grave Digger posted:
Chongo posted:

I'm not convinced of this. We've seen him be a good edge player, double digit sacks and good against the run, but in his best season (2016) he only notched 47 pressures. 11 sacks and 47 pressures is good, but it's faaaaar from elite. I don't think Perry was ever going to be elite, regardless of health. Good, probably solid career maybe with a few good seasons sporadically, but never taking that next step. 

There is more to the game than pressures.  When he has use of both hands, he was / is one of the best at setting the edge.    

I was ready for Cobb to leave last time he signed a deal.   Even at that time he was struggling to get separation.   When you have his frame and catch radius, it's all about separation.  

Part of the problem is the stale offense that MM was running but when you got MLB's running step for step down the seam with your slot guy, that's not good. 

I say this with the least amount of green n' gold glasses as I can, but I honestly feel if Allison stayed healthy, he would have eclipsed Cobb as the number 2 WR last season. 

Through 4 games, 20 catches, 303 yards, 15.1 avg, 2 TD's

He was showing really good chemistry with AR as well. And reports are he's completely healthy heading into OTA's. So, hoping Allison picks up right where he left off. 

Boris posted:
DH13 posted:
 2020 is looking more and more like the goal.

That's what Goalline thinks too. 😉

I think what Boris is trying to tell you, DH, is that there is a 100% chance you are wrong. 

Pikes Peak posted:

I like writing and saying Geronimo so for that reason only I hope he is a GB standout for years.  And I think he can be.

Cultural appropriation.

Clearly racist.

packerboi posted:

I say this with the least amount of green n' gold glasses as I can, but I honestly feel if Allison stayed healthy, he would have eclipsed Cobb as the number 2 WR last season. 

Through 4 games, 20 catches, 303 yards, 15.1 avg, 2 TD's

He was showing really good chemistry with AR as well. And reports are he's completely healthy heading into OTA's. So, hoping Allison picks up right where he left off. 

I agree.  Those 303 yards were more yards in a few games than he had the entire previous season.  Those numbers extrapolate to 80 catches, 1212 yards, and 8 TDs.  I would take that in a heart beat.  On the one hand if our top 3 WRs were healthy all year, we would have won more games, but with the injuries a couple rookies got extended playing time with AR.  I would have thought the season opportunity was lost if the injuries were only confined to the receivers.  But they happened team wide.  So I think that the opportunity we had was playing time for a lot of younger players.  That playing time should come in handy this year.  

Link copied to your clipboard.