Skip to main content

OJ Howard is still rumored to be trade bait from the Bucs.  Here's a scenario:

Would Gute have the balls to trade for him, and to make room for him on the 53, cut Jimmy Graham? If Tonyan is going to be healthy soon (let's say for argument sake yes) , then your 3 most productive TE's would be:

Howard

Lewis

Tonyan. 

Other option since Graham is "hurt" with an ankle, trade for Howard and IR Graham. It probably wouldn't sit well with 12, but that's precisely the kind of decisions good GM's make without regard to personal feelings. 

Hey, one can dream right?

Clark had a crap game where he was called for that personal foul (cant remember if it was unnecessary roughness or what) and in the same game, he was getting gouged for running yards in the middle of the DL. Seems like he's been in a funk since that. 

BrainDed posted:

He’s constantly doubled.   Had a decent game vs Lions but not so good the 2 weeks before that. 

I suppose that will continue until Lowry and/or Adams start drawing more attention.  Adams also seems AWOL.

chickenboy posted:

It's been said that the Rams philosophy is to use number 1 picks to acquire proven talent. More than one way to skin a cat and it has worked out for them so far.

Proven talent BUT expensive talent. BB does a similar method, but he buys cheap talent, uses them and lets them walk before he has to pay them. Would you rather have Jaire Alexander and Darnell Savage, both on low impact rookie deals, or 1 Jalen Ramsey on a prohibitive contract? That player HAS to be a generational talent like Khalil Mack to truly make that deal worth it. If Ramsey is that then it’s a solid move like the Mack deal, but I’d always rather gamble on the low cost/high upside of a 1st round pick vs high cost of a player that has reached his ceiling (albeit all pro ceiling). 

yes i would think the problem with the approach of proven vs draft is pretty much $ related.  it's a gamble to draft, but it's a gamble to pay $ to a vet player, without knowing injury, whether he will play the same level,etc.  i would think gb's approach to little bit of both is the winning formula in the big picture.  tt's approach was the opposite end and good for the cap, but not always fruitful, see our first round busts...the other end is doing something like the herschel walker trade where the receiving team went all decade.  even the obj trade looks like a bit of a disaster for cle right now.

The problem with the Ramsey move is he’s being paid pretty well already (13MM) and he only has 1 more year remaining on his current deal.   

If he had 2 or more seasons remaining on his rookie deal that might be worth it.  

There's no indication whatsoever Atlanta would trade that guy.  Why would they?  They finally got a young TE performing in their system. 

It's like, "Green Bay could use a Tight End, ours is good, let's trade him."  WTF?

The October 29 trade deadline can't get here quick enough, IMO.  The endless jerking off over players the Packers should trade for who aren't even on the market is getting a little old.

BTW nice Nicholson GIF, Timmy.  

lovepack posted:

Five years without a no. 1 pick reminds me of some of the TT era.

Yeah....I know, like Kenny Clark, Bryan Bulaga & Rodgers, Clay, Raji, trading out of the first & getting Jordy.

STFU

Attachments

Images (1)
  • STFU

You have to have a really good personnel dept to have faith in getting you that high upside talent in RD1 if you go that route.  Maybe LAR don't believe they do.  There is also the issue of where you draft.  If they plan on drafting on the tail end of each round for the foreseeable future, those RD1 picks don't look as valuable to them.  Look at the wonders our drafting in top half or third did us in just a couple years vs what we were getting drafting around #28.

DH13 posted:

You have to have a really good personnel dept to have faith in getting you that high upside talent in RD1 if you go that route.  Maybe LAR don't believe they do. 

Or maybe they do and they believe they can get high-level talent in lower rounds. 

Atlanta is already paying Ryan mega money and they have 6 guys on their roster making 10MM or more. Next season, they have 7 players that are accounting for 60% of the cap.  Throw in Sanu and Freeman and it’s 9 guys accounting for almost 70% of the cap!!! 

So do you think they will resign Hooper?  Hell, it will take a miracle to bring back Vic Beasley. 

The Packers will have some issues as well but to compare they have 8 players making 60% of the cap but it’s highly unlikely Jimmy Graham is back (6% of cap) and I’m not sure Linsley will either (5% of cap) especially when they need to extend Kenny Clark.  

The Vikings might take the cake.  They have 11 players that account for 80% of the cap in 2020.  Good thing Dalvin Cook is only making like 2MM this year and next year.   Watch him holdout. 

Last edited by Tschmack
Pakrz posted:

Now WR is a different story... I've heard rumors of AJ Green and Emmanuel Sanders being available via trade.  Can anybody confirm that?

Anybody??

It’s the same thing as the links in this thread, Pakrz:  A sports reporter will suggest it “should” be done based on various reasons, like the team is losing and needs to rebuild, and the player is nearing the end of his contract so the team “probably” wants to get something for him before he leaves via free agency. 

Boom: There’s your “rumor,” literally.

You can scratch through all the jerking off until your fingernails bleed. That is absolutely all there is on both of those guys.  And the speculation absolutely will not stop until the deadline is over.

Why? Because it gets clicks.

That's not to say there isn’t some logic behind those kind of deals. They happen every year. There just isn’t any verification on either one, just a whole lot of wishful thinking and clickbait.

Last edited by Pistol GB
Pakrz posted:

That's my thinking as well.  I think we are okay at TE.

Agree. 

Is it me or does TE usage across the league seem down?  These big bodied power forwards just can't seem to get the separation needed to draw targets.  Seems to me more and more tight ends are being asked to pass block and teams prefer quicker guys out there running routes.

Even though he had that ugly dropped TD, I'd like to see Aaron Jones get more passes.  He's 3rd on the team in targets, but how many of those are screens?  Get him out matched up on a linebacker. He can be a dual threat nightmare.

But back to TE....I like Tonyan later in the season once he recovers.

I had a bad problem of my kneecap popping out......it got so bad that I did have to have surgery on it and the procedure was to move my knee cap down to where it was supposed to be.  My knee cap problem was that it was riding to high in the joint and would “pop” out.  

The real downside of the whole thing is I don't see anyone in the AFC left to challenge the Patriots. Unless Brady gets injured and then even with that improved D, I think they're in the Super Bowl.

Link copied to your clipboard.