Skip to main content

Watch Clowney on the play where Graham picks up the first down to seal it. You have to ask yourself, WTF is he doing? This is your chance to be a hero, and you don't even engage? This is when a player who wants to make a difference goes out and does it, and this is why I question Clowney's play sometimes. There's no doubt he can be a force, but he has moments where he either disengages his brain and/or motor, or he just doesn't get it...

WTF is Clowney doing?

Had Clowney dropped into zone coverage Graham might not have been an option. And watching it again the spot was NOT as generous as I thought if you consider that his knee was on the player as he was going to the ground and moving forward. Forearm hits the ground when the ball appears to be at the yellow line, which as we know is further down field than the yard marker.

Fandame posted:

Watch Clowney on the play where Graham picks up the first down to seal it. You have to ask yourself, WTF is he doing? This is your chance to be a hero, and you don't even engage? This is when a player who wants to make a difference goes out and does it, and this is why I question Clowney's play sometimes. There's no doubt he can be a force, but he has moments where he either disengages his brain and/or motor, or he just doesn't get it...

WTF is Clowney doing?

Wondered the same thing. Looks like a kid in the middle of a game of keepaway. Flailing arms like he had no idea where to be.

Yeah. My point was, what was Clowney supposed to be doing? He didn't drop and he didn't rush. If he drops, he may be able to get to Graham before the marker or he could blow Graham up so it's an incomplete pass. If Clowney was supposed to stunt and loop inside, he probably clogs the lane where Rodgers ends up throwing the ball, if not forcing Rodgers to take a sack. (Watch the play from behind Rodgers and you see the ball zips past Clowney just before he moves into that lane.) Clowney either didn't know what he was supposed to do, or thought he'd freelance and make a play, or...??? And that WTF moment is something you see out of Clowney for at least one or two plays a game. 

And I agree with you YA on the spot. The ref did a great job of ball placement when you see how Graham was on the legs of the DB.

Fandame posted:

Yeah. My point was, what was Clowney supposed to be doing? He didn't drop and he didn't rush. If he drops, he may be able to get to Graham before the marker or he could blow Graham up so it's an incomplete pass. If Clowney was supposed to stunt and loop inside, he probably clogs the lane where Rodgers ends up throwing the ball, if not forcing Rodgers to take a sack. (Watch the play from behind Rodgers and you see the ball zips past Clowney just before he moves into that lane.) Clowney either didn't know what he was supposed to do, or thought he'd freelance and make a play, or...??? And that WTF moment is something you see out of Clowney for at least one or two plays a game. 

And I agree with you YA on the spot. The ref did a great job of ball placement when you see how Graham was on the legs of the DB.

He either didn't know what to do or was badly positioned for some type of coverage. I thought maybe delayed blitz too but he was lollygagging too much for that I think. Either way, he looks lost and his being nowhere that he could help anything may have been fortuitous for the Packers.

Packers have signed CB   DeShaun Amos to a reserve futuires contract.  Amos played at East Carolina and was originally signed by the Giants in May 2017.  he has spent the last 2 seasons with Calgary of the CFL  where he had 42 tackles and 5 INTs.

We have the Smith brothers maybe now we will have the Amos brothers. 

Z (with 1 more game this season) now has 26 sacks for GB (13.5 in 2019 and 12.5 in 2020).

By comparison, Nick Perry had 21 sack in TOTAL over 6 (of his 7) seasons in GB. (2012-2018).

And Clay Matthews had 22.5 sacks in TOTAL over his final 4 seasons in GB (2015-2018).

Gute deserves a TON of credit for (a) recognizing how important a legitimate pass rusher is to a defense (see Tennessee last evening for further evidence of a what a lack of pass rush can do a to a team), (b) being willing to spend big $ in free agency to obtain one, and (c) moving on from long-standing Packer players who were not coming close to earning their salaries.

@Boris posted:

Source: The Miami Herald - Barry Jackson

Updating a previous report, Darren Rizzi has agreed to join the New Orleans Saints as their special-teams coordinator, a source reported Friday, Feb. 1.

I have NFI why the Packers didn't hire this guy - Murphy didn't think he was a "good fit" I guess....Whatever TF that means

As Silverstein's article is being quoted as gospel as to why the Pack using its 1st and 4th round picks in the 2020 draft on Jordan Love was the wise move ... even with respect to its impact on the 2020 season, it might be interesting to look back at what the Packers (I mean Tommy) said about GB failing to land Darren Rizzi as the team's STs coach 2 years ago this month:

"Rizzi was the premier special teams coordinator on the market and was intrigued enough in the Packers' job to visit with new coach Matt LaFleur at the team’s facility last week. ... It is believed Rizzi’s price was high, so a team would have to make a considerable investment to lure him."

So there you have it, nothing the Pack could do about the situation Rizzi unreasonably wanted too much $ so he went to the Saints.

On a completely unrelated subject, New Orleans' STs finished 5th and GB's finished 29th in Rick Gosselin's annual rankings this season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoff...ecial-teams-rankings

Last edited by SteveLuke
Link copied to your clipboard.