Skip to main content

Brainwashed Boris posted:

Bill Belichick complimented Jaire before the game vs. the Pats. Singled him out by name during Belichicks presser.

“This guy is a really good football player, and I think he’s got a great future in the league,” Belichick said. “I think he’ll be one of the top corners in the game for quite a while here.”

https://packerswire.usatoday.c...jaire-alexander/amp/

Belichick said the former Louisville star was one of the top players on the Patriots’ draft board.

“He’s a great kid. He’s got great energy,” Belichick said. “He loves football and has great football skills; fast, athletic, good hands, good ball skills, can tackle, can play inside in the slot, can play outside on the perimeter, good zone vision, break on the ball, good man-to-man coverage, has good quickness, can match up with fast receivers, can match up with quick receivers.”

I'm going to go out on a limb & agree with Belichick here instead of "BrainDed"

We're responding to this post..

Packy posted:

Our impact players are?

So.....

Show me the impact plays from this season.    To me impact player means game changing plays.   Long TD run, turn over, Sack on a crucial 3rd down.     Show me those plays from Alexander....  

You can't, because he didn't make them YET.    As I said in my 1st reply, he has the potential and looks to be headed in that direction.    But to say he was / is an impact player is being a complete homer in my opinion.    1 Pick, zero forced fumbles and 11 passes defended.

Kyle Fuller had 21 passes defended and 7 INT's.   Those are the stats of an impact player.  Can we please take off the green and gold goggles or at least learn to differentiate from potential vs actual performance. 

Last edited by BrainDed

Meh. Stats for CBs can be misleading, because QBs frequently avoid throwing at the good ones.

Jaire had an outstanding rookie year. I'm excited to see him build on it. Anyone that watched Green Bay games can see that he profiles as a legit CB1. 

However, there are two legitimate questions at the CB position: (1) whether King can stay healthy, and (2) whether Jackson can show significant improvement in his second year sand resemble the playmaker we saw in college.    

packerboi posted:

Train Wreck with Antonio Brown

Can't see him as a Steeler in 2019. Between this and the drama with Bell, have to wonder if Tomlin's grip on the locker room is gone. That place sounds like a fu$$ing mess. 

I honestly thought Tomlin was getting fired when they didn't make the playoffs.

How many coaches have the Steelers had in the last 50 years? The Rooney’s never overreact 

Notre Dame coach sent away a try hard OL kid after he had an epileptic seizure as a freshman. He went on to earn the nickname of “The Pope” at Dayton based on his play at OL and LB. He was a “freakish” student of football. 

Years later. He was the backup plan B in Pittsburgh after Joe Paterno turned down an offer to become the Steelers HC in 1969. 

His name was Chuck Knoll. One of the best football coaches the NFL has ever had. 

Goalline posted:
packerboi posted:

Train Wreck with Antonio Brown

Can't see him as a Steeler in 2019. Between this and the drama with Bell, have to wonder if Tomlin's grip on the locker room is gone. That place sounds like a fu$$ing mess. 

I honestly thought Tomlin was getting fired when they didn't make the playoffs.

How many coaches have the Steelers had in the last 50 years? The Rooney’s never overreact 

Agree, but it's not just missing the playoffs, I'm not certain Tomlin has control of the locker room anymore.

BrainDed posted:

1 pick and 0 FF.   He played well for a rook, but far from a impact player.   The secondary has been managed like shit and full of shit for so long, we forget what an impact player on D looks like.    

Allowed a 73 rating from QBs and 50% completions. He made mistakes, but that's a pretty impactful stat line. His turnover numbers weren't high, but Kyle Fuller was arguably the top CB in the NFL in 2018 and he only had 2 INTs. Fuller allowed 1 reception every 18.4 snaps he played, Alexander allowed 1 reception ever 18 snaps played. JA's completion % allowed was lower than Fuller's as well.   

michiganjoe posted:

Finally, a former Packers DB missing the glory days under Dom Capers.

michiganjoe posted:

Burnett was pretty average but at least he was consistently average. Might be an upgrade over what's there presently but the team needs to think long-term rather than going with an aging stopgap.

How can a guy who never made a play, was always a step slow, never made the big tackle be an upgrade to anyone. Burnett has zero upside and no production to go with it.

Anyone is an upgrade over that because they might have potential. Burnett has none.

He stinks! Pitts figured it out, just like the Redskins figured out HaHa lost his nerve and won't hurt a flea anymore than an offensive player.

I mean, based on results, I would feel better about Fitz as the backup QB:

We'll start with Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com sizing up the quarterback market for this offseason and making a projection for every starting and backup opening. For the Packers, he envisions Ryan Fitzpatrick (who earned the nickname "FitzMagic" when he became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw for 400 yards or more in three straight games last season for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers) providing Aaron Rodgers with a veteran backup.

Regarding the Packers, La Canfora writes:

Sign Ryan Fitzpatrick. It's time to spend some money on a backup at this stage of Aaron Rodgers' career. I get and agree with the desire to always have a developmental QB or two, but it's time to start winning again, and DeShone Kizer is not any real insurance behind him.

Grave Digger posted:
BrainDed posted:

1 pick and 0 FF.   He played well for a rook, but far from a impact player.   The secondary has been managed like shit and full of shit for so long, we forget what an impact player on D looks like.    

Allowed a 73 rating from QBs and 50% completions. He made mistakes, but that's a pretty impactful stat line. His turnover numbers weren't high, but Kyle Fuller was arguably the top CB in the NFL in 2018 and he only had 2 INTs. Fuller allowed 1 reception every 18.4 snaps he played, Alexander allowed 1 reception ever 18 snaps played. JA's completion % allowed was lower than Fuller's as well.   

You don't have high INT numbers if they aren't throwing at you.

AtTheMurph posted:
michiganjoe posted:

Burnett was pretty average but at least he was consistently average. Might be an upgrade over what's there presently but the team needs to think long-term rather than going with an aging stopgap.

How can a guy who never made a play, was always a step slow, never made the big tackle be an upgrade to anyone. Burnett has zero upside and no production to go with it.

Anyone is an upgrade over that because they might have potential. Burnett has none.

He stinks! Pitts figured it out, just like the Redskins figured out HaHa lost his nerve and won't hurt a flea anymore than an offensive player.

Hyperbole thy name is Murph?

Burnett was the AJ Hawk of the secondary.  Not flashy, was consistent and kind of shit the bed at the end.  If a defensive scheme change can make Micah Hyde a pro-bowler someone as smart as Burnett could play respectable ball.  All for a very reasonable price of course and I really don't want him back either but hey, could be worse. 

Go get a solid safety in FA.  

Last edited by Henry
Timmy! posted:

If it's time to start winning again, it won't happen with Fitzpatrick.

It won’t happen with Kizer or likely any backup QB. Fitz is probably the best option that they can afford and could possibly win games. 

If they look for a new backup they will likely look to the Eagles/Bears example of backup QB, get/keep someone who knows the system (Chase Daniel in CHI, Foles in PHI). Only FA QB I see who fits that bill is Sean Mannion from LA. He’s kind of a meh type QB. LaFleur was Kizer’s coach at ND wasn’t he? There’s experience there, most likely possibility is they just stick with DK.

Last edited by Grave Digger

Shields doesn't have a contract for 2019. He's another player who would likely come cheap as a back up guy and a good, veteran special teamer. I would think he'd welcome being back in Green N' Gold if the Rams decide to pass on him..

Sam Shields was one of just four Rams players to have previously played in a Super Bowl before the 13-3 loss to the New England Patriots. Spending his first seven years with the Green Bay Packers, where he won a Lombardi Trophy as a rookie, Shields played just one game in 2016 and missed all of the 2017 campaign.

The veteran signed in L.A. last offseason to provide depth. He played a significant role as the Rams dealt with an injury to Aqib Talib during the middle portion of the 2018 slate. When the Rams CB trio of Talib, Marcus Peters and Nickell Robey-Coleman was healthy, Shields was relegated to special team's duty. Shields didn't play a single defensive snap during the playoffs, while taking part in 55 special teams plays, per Next Gen Stats.

Without a contract for 2019, Shields would like to remain in L.A., if the Rams can fit him in their plans.

"For sure, you know, whatever it takes," Shields said. "I know how this business is, so if it's right, it's right -- I'll be back. But business is business."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.