Skip to main content

packerboi posted:

58 (Sheldon) has had a pretty good game, albeit against future car salesman. Can he play ILB?

We may not have a choice. The obvious need (for now) is bodies for depth. 
I doubt there will be much waiver traffic until cutdowns.
I'll have to look at an available FA list, but I'll bet there are slim pickin's there as well.

fightphoe93 posted:

I fully admit, I turned it off after the first half.  Once I saw St. Brown's injury, that was about enough for me.

Tonight was the Trevor Davis show.  He was fantastic, by far the best I ever remember him looking.  I had heard some beat writer mentioning that he was having a great camp before the injury in practice vs the Texans.  It's only a preseason game vs the lowly Raiders, but maybe, just maybe Davis can give Allison or Valdez-Scantling a battle for either the #2 or #3 wideout.  

Kumerow is better than Allison or MVS. Kumerow is the #2 WR. 

ChilliJon posted:
BrainDed posted:

Recap:

Buh Bye Kizer

Jackson looks lost, disappointed. 

Davis made the team. 

Totally and completely disagree on Jackson. He is making the 53. Davis was given his last shot tonight and he responded. Props for that. Still think Sheppard is a better roster selection if it comes down to it. 

Kumerow is the 2nd best receiver on the roster. Period. 

We are talking Josh Jackson, yes?  Of course he makes the roster.  I guess my hopes / expectations were different than yours as I saw him as top CB in his draft.    He flashed in pre season and first quarter of last season but it’s been a steady decline since.   Was, guess I still am, hoping it was rookie wall that led to the slide but he didn’t look confident tonight. 

I know this isn’t conventional but I think we are really weak at WR.  If the consensus here is that Jake Kumerow is the #2, well, that’s not a good thing.   

Hoping that Allison picks up where he left of otherwise it needs to be 2 TE package 80% of the time and hope that Graham / Tonyan can combine for 1500 yards. 

Last edited by BrainDed

Adams is probably a top 10 WR in the league.

The rest?  MVS has the potential to be very good but at this point it’s just potential.  G Mo hasn’t proven anything either.  No way am I ready to crown Trevor Davis.  Kumerow is their preseason stud can he replicate it in the regular season? 

If they put it all together this COULD be a very good WR group. 

I don't get this talk of the WR's being seriously over-rated.  Untested?  Absolutely.

Kumerow and Davis have done nothing to cause me to look at their play and exclaim, "Wow, are they over-rated!"

What are #2 and #3 WR's supposed to look like?  How do the Packer's receivers so apparently look significantly worse than that?

I am open to the idea, but certain;y not sold on it.

Last edited by phaedrus
Pistol GB posted:
packerboi posted:

Bolton is on crutches. Unless Burk's torn tendon does a Reggie White, the Packers are in serious need of an ILB. 

Yeah but did you see the crowd?  Those Canadians are truly entertained.

Half of those "Canadian" fans are North Dakotans who drove the beet truck to Winnipeg to root for their Raiders.

Adams is top 5 according to Rodgers. Hard to disagree considering his play/production in '18 with little help to take some of the attention away. I think MVS overtakes Allison as the #2, mostly because Allison is probably going to be the slot guy - until Kumero takes that spot.

What has stood out for me is how Davis and Shepard are attacking the ball and consistently winning the contested throws.

ChilliJon posted:
fightphoe93 posted:

I fully admit, I turned it off after the first half.  Once I saw St. Brown's injury, that was about enough for me.

Tonight was the Trevor Davis show.  He was fantastic, by far the best I ever remember him looking.  I had heard some beat writer mentioning that he was having a great camp before the injury in practice vs the Texans.  It's only a preseason game vs the lowly Raiders, but maybe, just maybe Davis can give Allison or Valdez-Scantling a battle for either the #2 or #3 wideout.  

Kumerow is better than Allison or MVS. Kumerow is the #2 WR. 

I think, in the preseason, Lazard has shown himself to be the equal of either Allison or MVS, as well. If either Lazard or Shepherd gets placed on the PS, he will be snapped up by another team, much the way Taysom Hill was. 

Pakrz posted:

First of all, it's stupid to be playing NFL games outside of legit NFL stadiums to begin with.  But not having the field ready to play, preseason or not?  Unacceptable.  

Remember when they  cancelled the Hall of Fame game, one year, due to paint fume issues from the decals painted onto the field. Why not cancel this game due to the hazards in the end zones and the greasiness of the fields. Both games had the GB Packers scheduled to play those games. Goodell conspiracy coming to light??

El-Ka-Bong posted:

We are really overrating the quality of our WR

I agree. If Adams goes down for any length of time, I think they are really going to struggle.

As others have said, at least there's a chance that LaFleur actually runs schemes to get guys open instead of the MM method of just doing what we do and hoping that the talent wins matchups (which worked when he had young versions of Jordy, Jennings, Cobb, Jones, and Finley playing together but didn't otherwise).

I see a top 10 guy (Adams) and a bunch of guys that would be 4th or 5th WRs on most teams. I think it goes back to the drafts this decade. Look at where they've drafted WRs. It's not coincidental that Adams was one of the few premium draft picks they used on WR the last 6 years and he's turned out well. 

2019 - none

2018 - Moore (4th), MVS (5), ESB (6)

2017 - Yancey (5), Dupre (7)

2016 - Davis (5), Allison (UDFA)

2015 - Montgomery (3), Kumerow (UDFA - Bengals)

2014 - Adams (2), Abbrederis (5), Janis (7)

The last 6 drafts, they invested two top 3 round picks on WR and hit on one of them. Everyone else is just a crapshoot. They didn't get a Donald Driver (7th round) out of any these guys. All those years of drafting DBs (8 round 1 or round 2 guys in the last 6 drafts!) caused other positions to get neglected. 

Contrast that with the WR core they lined up from 2008-2013. Jennings, Jordy, and Cobb were 2nd round picks. James Jones was a 3rd rounder. They had the measurables coming out of college to win 1X1 matchups against decent DBs.  

The Crusher posted:

Brady does it year in and year out with no name receivers.  I think Rodgers can to.

Obviously Brady is a top 5 NFL player all time, but I'm interested in seeing what he looks like this year after playing most of the last decade with arguably the best TE in NFL history. He won a Super Bowl without Gronk, but his stats go from one of the best all-time with Gronk to moderately good for this era without him. 

https://thebiglead.com/2018/05...ying-are-staggering/

With Gronkowski: 113 games, 2771 of 4332 (65.5%), 33217 pass yards (7.85 YPA), 255 pass TDs, 55 INTs

Without Gronkowski: 30 games, 711 of 1182 (60.2%), 8198 pass yards, 51 pass TDs, 22 INTs

If we translate that to a per-16-game rate for each, we get the following:

With Gronkowski: 392 of 599, 4703 pass yards, 36 TD, 8 INT

Without Gronkowski: 379 of 630, 4372 pass yards, 27 TD, 12 INT

MichiganPacker2 posted:

and a bunch of guys that would be 4th or 5th WRs on most teams.

Really? Just looking at the NFCN

Viks WR depth: Thielen, Diggs, Chad Beebe, Jordan Taylor, Laquan Treadwell. 

Bob's WR depth: Alken Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, Javon Wims, Cordelle Patterson, Riley Ridkey

Loins WR depth: Marvin Jones, Kenny Golladay, Andy Jones, Chris Lacy,  Jonathan Duhart

MichiganPacker2 posted:
El-Ka-Bong posted:

I agree. If Adams goes down for any length of time, I think they are really going to struggle.

As others have said, at least there's a chance that LaFleur actually runs schemes to get guys open instead of the MM method of just doing what we do and hoping that the talent wins matchups (which worked when he had young versions of Jordy, Jennings, Cobb, Jones, and Finley playing together but didn't otherwise).

I see a top 10 guy (Adams) and a bunch of guys that would be 4th or 5th WRs on most teams. I think it goes back to the drafts this decade. Look at where they've drafted WRs. It's not coincidental that Adams was one of the few premium draft picks they used on WR the last 6 years and he's turned out well. 

2019 - none

2018 - Moore (4th), MVS (5), ESB (6)

2017 - Yancey (5), Dupre (7)

2016 - Davis (5), Allison (UDFA)

2015 - Montgomery (3), Kumerow (UDFA - Bengals)

2014 - Adams (2), Abbrederis (5), Janis (7)

The last 6 drafts, they invested two top 3 round picks on WR and hit on one of them. Everyone else is just a crapshoot. They didn't get a Donald Driver (7th round) out of any these guys. All those years of drafting DBs (8 round 1 or round 2 guys in the last 6 drafts!) caused other positions to get neglected. 

Contrast that with the WR core they lined up from 2008-2013. Jennings, Jordy, and Cobb were 2nd round picks. James Jones was a 3rd rounder. They had the measurables coming out of college to win 1X1 matchups against decent DBs.  

Filled with negative exaggeration.

The Heckler posted:

I didn't see the game but for me I have no issues cancelling the game with the field conditions.  The Packers had enough injuries by the sounds of it so I am glad they called it off.

A question that I have is doesn't the NFL have a groundskeeper go ahead to the site and check things out a day or so ahead of time?

Isn't that part of Jay-Z's job? 

El-Ka-Bong posted:

I'm still waiting for Tori Gurley and Chastin West to show us how wrong the Packers were to not include them on their roster.  Those were a couple of other guys from the past that some thought other teams would just be drooling over when the Pack got rid of them.  They did play for other teams, but between them had a total of 16 catches combined for their NFL careers.

The one guy we saw last night that could be a step up from those type of guys is Trevor Davis.  He really does look like he's talented enough to be in somebody's WR rotation if he can stay healthy.  Kumerow might be a step up from the Gurley/West level, but it's entirely possible he's more like those guys considering the Bengals gave up on him. 

Hungry5 posted:
MichiganPacker2 posted:

and a bunch of guys that would be 4th or 5th WRs on most teams.

Really? Just looking at the NFCN

Viks WR depth: Thielen, Diggs, Chad Beebe, Jordan Taylor, Laquan Treadwell. 

Bob's WR depth: Alken Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, Javon Wims, Cordelle Patterson, Riley Ridkey

Loins WR depth: Marvin Jones, Kenny Golladay, Andy Jones, Chris Lacy,  Jonathan Duhart

I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised with the production of this year's WR crew especially (big) if Rodgers stays healthy.  Between a healthy and motivated Rodgers, and a new offense that actually schemes receivers open instead of sandlot football, this group will be fine.  Hate to always look at what MLF's mentor, McVay, has done in LA, but Robert Woods was a pedestrian receiver in Buffalo and Cooper Kupp was a mid round pick from a non Power Five school, and both flourished in that system. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.