Skip to main content

packerboi posted:
skully posted:

F * * * the Bears

The Bores are rolling the dice on both Jimmy G and Quinn. If they get the Dallas version of Robert Quinn, then he'll be a pain the ass for the NFC North in 2020. If it's the Miami version, then the Bears paid out a ton of money on a player the wrong side of 30.

The chances of the Bores hitting on both Quinn and Graham aren't high.      

The chance that the bears hit on both Graham and Quinn is exactly zero.

We watched Graham for the past two years. He's going to be 34 years old. Do you think using the term hitting and Jimmy Graham have any reason to be used in the same sentence?

I seriously thought he'd just hang it up. I've never seen a guy his size go to the ground like a ton of brinks since William Henderson. (A guy I used to refer to as Tonofbricks Henderson). It's alike a feather could drop either guy if it got in their way.

I'm glad he's in shitcago. One less TE to worry about for a team that has proven to be very bad at covering TEs through the years.

AtTheMurph posted:
packerboi posted:

We watched Graham for the past two years. He's going to be 34 years old. Do you think using the term hitting and Jimmy Graham have any reason to be used in the same sentence?

How's this?

When QBs throw the ball to Jimmy Graham, there is a very high chance it will be hitting the ground unless it hits him directly in the hands, and even then it still has a good chance of hitting the ground. 

Timpranillo posted:
skully posted:

damm:    Linebacker Cory Littleton agrees to terms with the Raiders on a three-year deal worth up to $36 million.

That is cheap for the best FA LB on the market.  That's insane.

Hmmm, are ILBs beginning to be valued like RBs? So much nickel and dime, no interest in spending too much on part timers?

SteveLuke posted:

Fackrell and Martinez will undoubtedly lead the Giants to another sterling defensive performance in 2020.

I must say, I think they got a very good deal with Fackrell. We'll see how well he can do, but of the two, I think he helps them more.

But would you pay what other teams did for Bulaga or Martinez?   Their possible replacements might have issues but they come at a much lower price.  3 yrs 30MM for Bulaga is insane.  

Damn Gute is a genius.  

Pakrz posted:

GB has a lot of work to do in the draft.  Neither the MLB or RT are upgrades over what was on the roster last year. 

RT definitely not, but perhaps the thought is that the system could mitigate some of Wagner’s shortcomings. Or Wagner is here to compete with Turner for the job with Lane Taylor or Patrick moving into RG. For the amount they saved I think the drop off could be mitigated with scheme...it’s not like they went from Bulaga to Jason Spriggs.

If Kirksey is healthy I think it’s a wash at ILB, possibly an improvement considering the savings they got. 

The area where we’re definitely worse is OLB without Fackrell. They NEED Gary to take a step this year with more PT. Fack wasn’t elite, but he was pretty good depth and he will he missed if they don’t bring in more depth. 

Last edited by Grave Digger
Henry posted:

I'd say it's highly likely unless it's a team like SF with solid Oline and a coaching staff that will create an offense specifically around Brady.

I don't think it will end well for Tommy "System QB" Brady.

He should have retired. He certainly shouldn't need the money, and what else does he have to prove, that he can win outside of BB's offense? 

Why play for some other team with a dicey offense and a poor chance to go to the Super Bowl?

Floridarob posted:

now the question is where does Jamis end up. New England? Denver? Chicago?

It wouldn't shock me one bit if he ended up in NE and instantly turns things around under Belichick.  My preference would be Chicago so he could keep throwing INTs and fumbling the ball constantly.

Well, this would have been a deal breaker for most teams interested in him. I still doubt Brown ends up in Tampa, but I'd have no desire to sign a 45 year old Brady AND bring the circus to town.

Pakrz posted:

GB has a lot of work to do in the draft.  Neither the MLB or RT are upgrades over what was on the roster last year. 

I think Kirksey may be an upgrade over Martinez just because he can cover. I think Wagner was picked because he is cheap. Either way, both players will be considered as depth for their positions, in GB. We will still need to draft an ILB, or two, and a RT, or two, somewhere in this draft. 

Many other teams have lots of cap space. The Packers don’t have that much. Keeping Clark and Jones is a priority. So I can understand why we brought in the players that we did. And unless something drastic changes it’s going to be that way next year as well. I could foresee picking up another released FA during the season at the right price. It would be nice to get a run stopper at DT like Harrison or Pierce but I think that even they might be too expensive at this point unless we cut another player or two.

I think Uncle Milty's familiarity with Wagner is the other reason.  How unrealistic is it that Detroit just fucking sucks considering he played well in Baltimore?  He's not Buluga but I don't think there's a huge drop off either.

I'm curious if Veldheer is still in the equation as far as depth.

I don't want to downplay Buluga's impact because he is a hoss.  I think both Wagner and Kirksey are rotation/place holders for rookie draft picks. 

Last edited by Henry
13X posted:

I think a blow up doll would be an upgrade over Martinez. So glad he’s gone!

I don’t think Martinez was worth the money but he’s nowhere near as bad as some people think he is.  I want an upgrade over him as well and am hopeful GB can do that in the draft.  I don’t think we did that in FA. 

I wouldn’t have paid Bulaga either but there’s zero doubt that GB got worse, potentially much worse, at RT.  I’d resign Veldheer and draft an OT high if I could. Gotta get a MLB and WR early too. 

Martinez was in GB for four years, playing in 61 games and starting 57. In all that time and all those games:

• Tackles for loss: 29 (by year: 4, 10, 10, 5)
  • Forced fumbles: 2
  • QB sacks: 10
  • QB hits: 12
  • Passes defensed: 17
  • INTs: 3

What I think is most telling is the TFL. Out of 331 solo tackles, only 29 for a loss, and the numbers weren't trending up. Lack of game-changing plays made him expendable.

Bulaga... I think he's a "better-one-year-too-early-than-one-year-too-late" casualty. His snap counts last year were 83%, but the years prior were: 73, 22, 97, 70, 88, 52. So he may be due for another good year, but then tail off.

Fackrell was a victim of numbers. With the Smiths in place, Fackrell didn't see the field and had only one sack last year compared to 10 the year before. Was he buried? Could he have helped more? I guess we'll find out as he plays in NY.

I think Wagner's dropoff in production is as simple as going from a zone blocking scheme in Baltimore under Kubiak/Trestman to a power/man scheme in Detroit to a botched conversion to zone scheme in Detroit. It seems Detoilet just threw money at the top OT on the market with no thought to scheme fit or how to utilize talent. GB runs a Zone Scheme just like Baltimore and the amount of movement required from GB's OL fits Wagner better than a hat-on-hat power scheme. I think Wagner or Turner, whoever wins that battle (if that's the plan), will be fine in the running game, but we will see a dropoff in pass pro. Bulaga took elite rushers out of the game, Rodgers HAS to see that coming and be smarter with the ball. I would still like to see a guy drafted who they believe can be a long term answer, doesn't have to be in R1...most of our OL (with Wagner) are Day 3 picks, Jenkins and Turner were Day 2. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

GB free agents/RFA's left to sign:

• Tramon Williams CB
  • Jared Veldheer RT
  • Geronimo Allison WR
  • Marcedes Lewis TE
  • Jason Spriggs T
  • Ryan Grant WR 
  • B.J. Goodson ILB
  • Ibraheim Campbell SS
  • Tyler Ervin RB
  • Malcolm Johnson FB
  • Robert Tonyan Jr. TE
  • Will Redmond FS
  • John Leglue G

The guys in bold are RFA's or ERFA's, but I imagine only Tonyan and Redmond will be tendered. Ervin will likely be brought back unless he has unrealistic demands. Can't imagine they bring back any of the others except at vet minimum. Tramon was a good leader and wasn't that bad in 2019, but he's like 37. Goodson wasn't a bad ST player, but he's not irreplaceable. Veldheer is a maybe if he's got any life in his legs. Allison is a maybe also depending on price...vet minimum may be the best he can do. Before they tender/re-sign any of these guys it looks like they have about $13M left to spend on UFA's (after top 51, draft pool, etc.). Couple guys still available I like (depending on cost):

• CB Chris Harris (DEN)
  • CB Brian Poole (NYJ)
  • DL Jarran Reed (SEA)
  • DL Michael Pierce (BAL)
  • TE Eric Ebron (IND)
  • CB Bashaud Breeland (KC)
  • LB Kamalei Correa (TEN)
  • S Tre Boston (LAC)
  • LB Josh Bynes (BAL)

There are some older guys and some guys who will come cheap, but they were all solid performers in 2019 albeit not superstars. At worst they're good depth, at best their solid starters. 

Interesting, at least to this point, that Robbie Anderson isn't getting much attention. With a deep WR draft, I wonder if teams just aren't willing to pay his asking price (rumored to be 12-14mil a year).    

This is what PFF had to say about Bynes:

39. LB JOSH BYNES
He doesn’t bring any value as a blitzer, but Josh Bynes has proven to be a run-stuffer in his career. In all but one of his eight seasons, Bynes produced a run-defense grade above 70.0 and has produced run-defense grades above 79.9 in each of the last three years. Bynes was rather poor in coverage but has taken steps towards improvement late in his career. Over the last two seasons, he's had two of his highest coverage grades in his career — in 2019 he was the 12th best linebacker in coverage.

As a back up to AR, he'd be a nice signing. I don't know what he'd want in salary, but that's the kind of veteran QB back up you'd love to have for your 36 year old starting QB  

Link copied to your clipboard.