Skip to main content

Speculation has started, and here's a clickbait whopper: Tom Brady to the Niners:

Predicting Where The Top 30 NFL Free Agents Will Sign This Offseason

Tom Brady

Jason Getz-USA TODAY Sports

Here’s the shocker of the offseason. The much-rumored split between Bill Belichick and Tom Brady will ultimately happen. We know Brady won’t go to a team not ready to contend for a Super Bowl. We also know that he could head back to the West Coast where he’s originally from (San Francisco) and where he lives during the offseason (Los Angeles). Seeing as he’s a Bay Area native, it makes all the sense in the world for him to play for the 49ers — particularly if SF doesn’t make it to the Super Bowl this season. John Lynch won’t hesitate in pursuing Brady should he show interest. Buoyed by a strong run game and a big-time defense, it’s a near perfect fit for Brady.

Prediction:San Francisco 49ers

https://newarena.com/nfl/predi...0/?amxt=ref_2_inview

YA

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

One reading of the tea leaves.

Saw on twitter that Martinez is apparently seeking $14M-15M per year deal. That’s out of the question for what he brings to the table. I would be surprised if anyone pays him that, but there’s always one team desperate enough. I thought $10M was the upper edge of what he deserved. There will be options for GB that are more reasonable. I’m guessing Gute will look to attack that position hard like he did OLB. 

Grave Digger posted:

Saw on twitter that Martinez is apparently seeking $14M-15M per year deal. That’s out of the question for what he brings to the table. I would be surprised if anyone pays him that, but there’s always one team desperate enough. I thought $10M was the upper edge of what he deserved. There will be options for GB that are more reasonable. I’m guessing Gute will look to attack that position hard like he did OLB. 

After the debacle on defense in the title game, you can't bring him back. It's not like he's a 22 year old rookie who got fooled on some plays because he was inexperienced. He's played 4 years. They have to upgrade at that position. 

If you brought him back, you'd be admitting that he wasn't part of the problem and that with better coaching it will be different. That would mean that Pettine was totally unprepared for what the Niners were doing (a team they had already played). 

Of course, both needing to upgrade from Martinez and Pettine being completely overmatched could be true. 

The more I read and digest about that game, the less I'm thinking Pettine got thoroughly outcoached.  They were set to stop the run for the majority of the game and simply got out physicalled and lost their 1-on-1's.  Badly.  Still falls on his and MLF's shoulders for their guys not answering the bell but it looks like the schemes weren't the root of the issue.  Lack of talent and lack of heart on the field.

Grave Digger posted:

WOW! If someone gives him half of that, they're insane. He was awful in the championship game. I don't want him back even for free

DH13 posted:

They were set to stop the run for the majority of the game and simply got out physicalled and lost their 1-on-1's.  Badly. 

DING! DING! DING!

They done got whooped plain and simple.  Convert Marcedes to ILB , Gary to TE and Rodgers to Taysom Hill.

Last edited by Henry
Grave Digger posted:

Saw on twitter that Martinez is apparently seeking $14M-15M per year deal. 

Ok wait....where did you see this??? Who posted it? Unless it was his agent, it's friggin. Twitter 

Grave Digger posted:

Saw on twitter that Martinez is apparently seeking $14M-15M per year deal. 

You're smart enough to know that his agent talking, right?  We don't know what Martinez might sign for in GB or elsewhere.

ETA - Boris beat me to it.

Last edited by FinnLander

Yes it’s obviously the agent putting that out there and that won’t be what he settles for, but overall though the goal is to let teams know he’s looking to cash in. He’s not going to accept a modest deal or a “prove it” deal, he’s seeking a large long term contract. That takes a lot of teams light on cap space out of the running. 

Martinez' scouting report from the 2016 draft summed up his weaknesses perfectly. He's a good backup LB and core special teamer. It's like Ted Thompson drafted himself 40 years later. Martinez ran a 4.71 40.

Martinez is smoking some strong stuff if he thinks he's a big money ILB. Bobby Wagner ran a 4.46 at his draft combine a few years earlier. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/...-martinez?id=2555161

Weaknesses

Slow twitch with borderline play speed. Must transition from a power mindset to a little more quickness in everything he does. Will need quicker hands to jab and separate to stay clean against NFL linemen. Below average lateral quickness. Won't win many foot races to the perimeter and has little margin for error with his angles. Not athletic enough to recover if he gets hung ­up on a block for too long. Too easily fooled into vacating his positioning by play-­action. Doesn't have reactive athleticism to quickly recover back into his duties after biting on fakes. More of a block occupier than serious threat when blitzing. Average awareness dropping into zone coverage. Situational awareness needs work.

The Packers have drafted 9 LBs in the top 4 rounds the last 15 years. To say they've struggled to find players in the draft with premium picks is an understatement. One great pick (CM3) and a bunch of guys that at best were average. Note that Perry, Datone Jones, and Mike Neal were drafted as DEs. 

2018 - Round 3 - Oren  Burks

2017 - Round 4- Vince Biegel

2016- Round 4- Blake Martinez

2016- Round 3- Kyler Fackrell

2015 - Round 4 - Jake Ryan

2014  Round 4 - Carl Bradford

2009 Round 1 - CM3

2006 Round 1 - AJ Hawk

2006 Round 3 - Abdul Hodge

2005  Round 4 - Brady Poppinga

Grave Digger posted:

Thank you Blake!   Make this an easy decision for the GM. 

Hey it’s a negotiation.  That’s his perceived value and his agent is entitled to make an offer.

The good thing is you can always say “I don’t think so” and could counter offer, if you think he’s worth retaining at whatever amount you think it’s fair and reasonable. 

Much ado about nothing 

13X posted:
Grave Digger posted:

WOW! If someone gives him half of that, they're insane. He was awful in the championship game. I don't want him back even for free

He was awful a lot. I say let the TFOS have him, we’ll take the Joe Scho... 

Link copied to your clipboard.