Skip to main content

packerboi posted:

Veteran DT will be available as well. 

How has Dareus played the past few years? Just wondering.

He's been good, not great from what I've read. BUF shipped him off for under performing, but he seemed to get his shit together in JAX. He's a stout run defender, average as a pass rusher. Sounds like Ryan Pickett when we picked him up. He was cut because he doesn't deserve $20M cap number, but he's not a bum. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

Green Bay has had 4 placekickers since 1989.  31 years. 4 kickers.  And, really, 1 of those 4 was here only for a single year.  From Jacke to Longwell to Crosby, this has been a position that Green Bay has not had to worry about at all. (Save a brief stretch in 2012 where he was not great for about 6 weeks, and it's easy to remember the Detroit game in 18, but he bounced back immediately...)

And all of these guys have been productive as hell.  This isn't the work of lazy GMs sticking with the average/below average guy here.  

For context - 2 teams, New England and Tennessee, had 4 placekickers last year alone.  

Last edited by Timpranillo
Grave Digger posted:

He's been good, not great from what I've read. BUF shipped him off for under performing, but he seemed to get his shit together in JAX. He's a stout run defender, average as a pass rusher. Sounds like Ryan Pickett when we picked him up. He was cut because he doesn't deserve $20M cap number, but he's not a bum. 

Thanks, Digger.

Grave Digger posted:

Buffalo gave up on him because he was a headcase and a distraction.  He was ok for awhile in Jax as he was motivated to prove doubters wrong.  He's probably still got some gas in the tank but I'd pass on him.  Don't trust his attitude or conditioning. 

Hungry5 posted:

Dave Rayner I believe.

Winner. He was the sorbet (from Applebees) between Longwell and Crosby.

From Rob Demovsky:

"Since the start of the 2007 season, no one other than Crosby has place-kicked for the Packers. In that same span, only two teams have used fewer than five kickers: Tennessee (four) and Indianapolis (three). Twenty teams have used more than five kickers, led by the Buccaneers (12) Chargers (10) and Saints (10)."

michiganjoe posted:

I've seen Grant Delpit, S, from LSU, fall to the Packers in recent mocks. The best Safety in the draft would not be a bad pick at 30, especially if Tramon decides to retire, or move on.  Hard to say what Veldheer will do. We would still need to draft O Linemen, no matter what Veldheer does, IMO.

Last edited by mrtundra

I was thinking earlier on that another safety wouldn't make sense there. But, now, I'm more open to the idea, especially if the top ILB's are off the board at 30. If he can take away the inside routes and help in run support, then that would be a useful pick. The only knock I've heard on him is tackling issues, which, for that position is a big problem.

Last edited by Packmeister
mrtundra posted:
We would still need to draft O Linemen, no matter what Veldheer does, IMO.

While never "flashy" picks, I'd have no issues if Gutenheimer picked OL and DL every draft. You can never have enough and while clichÃĐ , it's still true. These games more often then not are won in the trenches.   

Last edited by packerboi
packerboi posted:
mrtundra posted:

While never "flashy" picks, I'd have no issues if Gutenheimer picked OL and DL every draft. You can never have enough and while cloacae, it's still true. These games more often then not are won in the trenches.   

Skill players?

mrtundra posted:
michiganjoe posted:

I've seen Grant Delpit, S, from LSU, fall to the Packers in recent mocks. The best Safety in the draft would not be a bad pick at 30, especially if Tramon decides to retire.  Hard to say what Veldheer will do. We would still need to draft O Linemen, no matter what Veldheer does, IMO.

Safety would be a left field choice considering the investment they just made in the position, but if Savage could be shifted to a Honey Badger role, he would really excel. 

packerboi posted:
mrtundra posted:

While never "flashy" picks, I'd have no issues if Gutenheimer picked OL and DL every draft. You can never have enough and while cloacae, it's still true. These games more often then not are won in the trenches.   

If they are like Bakh and Jenkins, not Spriggs and Amicha though.

packerboi posted:
mrtundra posted:

While never "flashy" picks, I'd have no issues if Gutenheimer picked OL and DL every draft. You can never have enough and while clichÃĐ , it's still true. These games more often then not are won in the trenches.   

I agree. I hope Gute does go after OL and DL every draft. Two drafts ago, I was rooting for Gute to move up the board and grab Quentin Nelson, G, out of Notre Dame. He would have been All Pro, in the interior, for the Packers. We also need a DL to work with Kenny Clark on the line. Our run Defense was porous, at best. We need a guy who can plug those gaps with Clark in order to stop the run.

Link copied to your clipboard.