Skip to main content

mrtundra posted:
PackerHawk posted:

I want no part of Billy Turner at RT. 

We need to draft a replacement/back up for Bulaga. IMO, Turner is not it. If we cut Bulaga, we may need to draft two OTs just to have some depth at the position.

I'd like to see a replacement for Turner drafted, too. 

The biggest reason Green is tagged by Cinci....

💰💰💰💰

He is far & away their best jersey sale. Has nothing to do with anything else. Green could've acted like a complete thug & threatened Mile Browns family. They still would've tagged him. 

I wouldn't even be watching the NFL if I grew up in Cinci.

That entire Org is complete shit

PackerHawk posted:
mrtundra posted:
PackerHawk posted:

We need to draft a replacement/back up for Bulaga. IMO, Turner is not it. If we cut Bulaga, we may need to draft two OTs just to have some depth at the position.

I'd like to see how everyone plays in Mayo's second season.

Packers to welcome the Browns to GB for joint practices.  

Huh, for what?  A confidence builder? 

Another way to look at it is there will be plenty of smoking going on.  Both teams will be on the commissioner's suspended for the season list.   

Henry, I Agree. I too am hoping for a second year jump from our offense. I would like a few more $ under the cap so that we could pick up some help on the offense. But I don’t see it happening. Yet even a middling WR or TE might help if would would sign one. I just don’t know who.

Last edited by PackerPatrick
Henry posted:
PackerHawk posted:
mrtundra posted:
PackerHawk posted:

I'd like to see how everyone plays in Mayo's second season.

Including Jimmy Graham?

Blair Kiel posted:

Bless his heart....but it needs to be asked whether he's ascending or descending...can you picture 2-3 more healthy years from him?

I can..   I know it seems like he is 45, but he is only 30 years old.   He's gonna miss some snaps, but he is still, and I think will continue to be, one of the best in the game. 

Disclaimer, I didn't like getting rid of Sitton or Lang so I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about. 

Boris posted:

💰💰💰💰

He is far & away their best jersey sale. Has nothing to do with anything else. Green could've acted like a complete thug & threatened Mile Browns family. They still would've tagged him. 

Pretty sure thats evenly shared revenue with all the teams.    If Cowboys sell 100 hats and the Bengals sell 2, they both get the same piece of the pie.  

Read on the internets that Pack would sign Veldheer to be RT if they do not offer Bulaga.  That makes no sense to me.  Veldheer was a stop gap.  I know money is a part of it, but Veldheer isn't a more reliable player than Bulaga is, and is not nearly as talented.  This is a draft for OT's, so Gute has to grab one.

Technically he still would be a stopgap.  It would immediately bump up the priority for an OT but Veldheer is solid stopgap. 

I could see Buluga getting a sizeable contract if he and his agent decide to test the market. 

Last edited by Henry

The Bengals franchise tagging AJ Green has absolutely nothing to do with jersey sales.  It has nothing to do with the Bengals thinking they will contend with him.  It has nothing to do with Cincy being an incompetent franchise (though they are).

It has EVERYTHING to do with it being the obvious, smart business move. 

They have the right to franchise him.  If they choose to, they can do this between Feb 24 and March 10.  And then they, and only they, can negotiate with him

If they do not franchise him, he is an unrestricted free agent as of March 16.  And they Bengals get nothing.  By franchising him, it buys them time to work out a trade, most likely heading into or during the draft.  It also gives them more time to evaluate his health.  And they can pull the franchise tag any time before July 15.

So it was actually the absolute correct move to do in February.  Not certain why this is not plainly clear to everyone.

Last edited by PackLandVA

Never said they don't have the right to franchise Green nor did I say it wasn't a good business move.

I know what Cinci is doing & they don't want to lose the ONE marketable star they have. 

If I was Green I'd be telling Cinci..."I want out" as in "retire" or something to get the eff out of Cinci -- talk about ball & chain on your injured ankle. Feel bad for him because he's a really good person. 

Last edited by Boris

Their one marketable star isn’t AJ Green anymore. Their one marketable star that is gonna sell thousands of jerseys over the next couple of years, if not more, isn’t currently on the roster.  But he will be next month.

The situation that the Packers are in right now will show the ability of Gute.  It's one thing to have a bunch of money and throw it at free agents.  It's completely different when you only have a modest amount and must be selective and smart.  So far, I'd give Gute a B- as a GM.  HIs FA moves have been an A but his drafts have been about a C.  That said, the 2019 draft could prove to be excellent, but the 2018 draft really only has Alexander.  The need vs want will be in flux until FA is figured out.  Hypothetically, if we had no players set to be free agents this year, the most glaring need, in my mind, would be improved MLB and WR.  If both Bulaga and Martinez sign elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign "stop gap" type guys for security and then see what happens in the draft. 

This is why good GM's have to have multiple plans and be able to shift on the fly if the guys they need are not available in FA and/or the draft.  I'm intrigued as to how this will play out and I'm excited to see this team with another year under MLF. 

Henry posted:

Except he showed all flaws that were a knock on him coming out a college, particularly that he was soft.  Again, scouting and tagging a guy as a high pick because "he looks the part in his undies" is stupid. 

Considering Gertie, Wolf and Highsmith were all part of that FO leaves to question if it was a combined failure or were there particular FO "trains of thought" that shit the bed. 

Haven't heard of a lot of college OTs making the transition to TE or DE.  Spriggs couldn't make the transition to his natural position.  Long Oren Burks can't even handle the transition from SS to ILB.

They all have flaws coming out. Spriggs flaw was strength and anchor. Obviously the scouts thought that he could be beefed up to handle it.

He was also had the body, the feet and the length to play LT. Not many guys do. 

W'll see on Burks. He was hurt so it's do or die this year. He did finally get some on field experience at the end of last season and I think did OK. If he can stay healthy and make a play for regular playing time then we'll be able to answer if he can make the transition, but he already did that in college. He played ILB/OLB and S in college.

Fedya posted:

He would have helped Green Bay stop San Francisco's running game in the NFCCG.

I agree. If GB had been able to score and get a lead then SF would have shut it's own run game down and gone to the pass more. lol

Boris posted:

💰💰💰💰

I live one hour from Cincy and I feel bad for Bunguls fans.  They used to be pissed at Mike Brown for how he runs the team but now they just don't care anymore.  They don't go to the games, they don't bother watching on TV, they don't talk about the team, and their give a crap is broken.  

Rumors are here that the NFL is starting to ping them again for not trying to win.  I guess visiting teams are pissed because they also lose money coming in to Cincy ty play.  I guess visiting teams get a small piece of the pie when they go on the road.

AtTheMurph posted:

They all have flaws coming out. Spriggs flaw was strength and anchor. Obviously the scouts thought that he could be beefed up to handle it.

He hit 31 reps at the combine. Spriggs problem was technique and football IQ and that continued in the NFL. If he had figured out the mental game out he would have been a franchise LT. He had the same flaws in the NFL that he had at IU, but that offense got the ball out so quick that it masked a lot of his flaws. 

Some veteran OL being shopped around..

phaedrus posted:

DocBenni
but the 2018 draft really only has Alexander.

Well, if it was all draft, the Pack could field a full team in 53 years.  Oh wait, players retire and get cut, forgot about that.

A point was made.  

That is really all anyone can say about this reply.  

R MaN posted:

Top free agent wr  Green Bay should target is Emmanuel Sanders per ESPN +

Sanders is fine as a stop gap WR. But GB needs to restock their WR corps in the long term and Sanders is soon to be 33.

I am actually not giving up on either MVS or EQ. Both are still plenty young and could develop. But in this draft, which is ridiculously deep at WR, I am hoping Gutenmeister is taking WR somewhere in 1st or 2nd round. I just think this draft is too good to pass that up.  The ones available around 30 could be instantly impact WR's in their rookie year which you rarely see. They are that good.   

Based on my maths it seems there will be too many players at positions of higher need, being pushed down by some of those WR's, for Gu to pass up.  Add in the depth of the WR class and the potential of being able to get a RD1 quality WR in RD2 and you have the makings of nonWR RD1 and WR RD2.

DocBenni posted:

The situation that the Packers are in right now will show the ability of Gute.  It's one thing to have a bunch of money and throw it at free agents.  It's completely different when you only have a modest amount and must be selective and smart.  So far, I'd give Gute a B- as a GM.  HIs FA moves have been an A but his drafts have been about a C.  That said, the 2019 draft could prove to be excellent, but the 2018 draft really only has Alexander.  The need vs want will be in flux until FA is figured out.  Hypothetically, if we had no players set to be free agents this year, the most glaring need, in my mind, would be improved MLB and WR.  If both Bulaga and Martinez sign elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign "stop gap" type guys for security and then see what happens in the draft. 

This is why good GM's have to have multiple plans and be able to shift on the fly if the guys they need are not available in FA and/or the draft.  I'm intrigued as to how this will play out and I'm excited to see this team with another year under MLF. 

I loved the addition of Milt Hendrickson last off-season.  Obviously had some influence in the 2019 FA additions.  We'll see how 2019 vs 2018 draft pans out, but 2018 ain't lookin' real good while 2019 doesn't look like it was too bad.  Seems like Milt is a pretty good talent elevator that Gute' trusts.  

The Heckler posted:
Boris posted:

💰💰💰💰

I live one hour from Cincy and I feel bad for Bunguls fans.  They used to be pissed at Mike Brown for how he runs the team but now they just don't care anymore.  They don't go to the games, they don't bother watching on TV, they don't talk about the team, and their give a crap is broken.  

Rumors are here that the NFL is starting to ping them again for not trying to win.  I guess visiting teams are pissed because they also lose money coming in to Cincy ty play.  I guess visiting teams get a small piece of the pie when they go on the road.

There's an empty stadium in Oakland...😄

El-Nuke-the-Hurricanes-Bong posted:
phaedrus posted:

DocBenni
but the 2018 draft really only has Alexander.

Well, if it was all draft, the Pack could field a full team in 53 years.  Oh wait, players retire and get cut, forgot about that.

A point was made.  

That is really all anyone can say about this reply.  

Perfect as that is all I intended.

Link copied to your clipboard.