Skip to main content

Packers are one of them if they move on from Bulaga:

From Ian Rapoport:

@RapSheet: One potential play-maker hitting the market: #Packers TE Jimmy Graham is not expected back in Green Bay, sources say. The move with the 33-year old former free agent signing is noteable, though not a surprise for anyone involved.

Semi-confirmation of the conventional wisdom that’s been out there. 

More from Silverstein:

@TomSilverstein: Would be the least surprising development of the #Packers off-season, but the team has all the way up until off-season workouts start in April to release him without cap ramifications. They would be doing him a favor to do it now, but he won't be in the first wave of FA anyway.

Last edited by ilcuqui
DH13 posted:

Based on my maths it seems there will be too many players at positions of higher need, being pushed down by some of those WR's, for Gu to pass up.  Add in the depth of the WR class and the potential of being able to get a RD1 quality WR in RD2 and you have the makings of nonWR RD1 and WR RD2.

I agree.
Every defensive player or OL chosen (and there are many too good to pass up) pushes another WR down the list.
The same concept applies if there is a run on WRs. There may be just as many that are too enticing for a team to resist, and makes a DL/ILB or OL available at our pick.

ilcuqui posted:

From Ian Rapoport:

@RapSheet: One potential play-maker hitting the market: #Packers TE Jimmy Graham is not expected back in Green Bay, sources say. The move with the 33-year old former free agent signing is noteable, though not a surprise for anyone involved....

Best rumor I've heard in the last couple of years.

According to Spotrac, he has a $3.67M dead money hit on the cap. Although a significant amount, I'll assume it's manageable.
It would be money well wasted, IMO.

ilcuqui posted:

From Ian Rapoport:

@RapSheet: One potential play-maker hitting the market: #Packers TE Jimmy Graham is not expected back in Green Bay, sources say. The move with the 33-year old former free agent signing is noteable, though not a surprise for anyone involved.

We will have "Semi confirmation" when all 18 wheels roll him out of town.  

The more on the market, the less opportunity for Bulaga to get priced out of GB. On the other hand, maybe Gutey has decided to move on regardless.

ilcuqui posted:

From Ian Rapoport:

Very incomplete and shoddy reporting here by Rapoport.

He states:

1. A potential playmaker is hitting the market

2. Jimmy Graham is not expected back.

But then he never follows up on who the potential play maker hitting the market is.

Lazy reporting...

Agreed but I would dare say OT becomes priority #1 in the draft.  Doesn't make much sense to go into FA looking for a OT when Buluga is the best option.  I think they re-sign Buluga but they'll have to pony up.  Who's to say it's Buluga's camp that is holding off on talks.

I know most people would shit a brick if Turner was starting at RT but I'm guessing Grrrrup sees that as an option as well.

Last edited by Henry

There's no easy answer with Bulaga.  The guy has a tough time finishing games, sometimes when they can least afford it.  That said, trying to find a younger healthier guy who is as as good as him will be a tall order.   I hope they are able to draft an OT high no matter whether he comes back or not.  Bulaga is a guy that is so beat up he could drop off the table fast.  They need to have an up and comer ready to take over even if he does come back as he is not someone you can count on.

Timpranillo posted:
ilcuqui posted:

From Ian Rapoport:

Very incomplete and shoddy reporting here by Rapoport.

He states:

1. A potential playmaker is hitting the market

2. Jimmy Graham is not expected back.

But then he never follows up on who the potential play maker hitting the market is.

Lazy reporting...

Your right of course.  Not only lazy, but inaccurate as well.  Unless you take a look at his fudged stats.  I don't have a link for that but that is the only reason I can think of saying such a thing.    

fightphoe93 posted:

There's no easy answer with Bulaga.  The guy has a tough time finishing games, sometimes when they can least afford it.  That said, trying to find a younger healthier guy who is as as good as him will be a tall order.   I hope they are able to draft an OT high no matter whether he comes back or not.  Bulaga is a guy that is so beat up he could drop off the table fast.  They need to have an up and comer ready to take over even if he does come back as he is not someone you can count on.

You are correct.  This is a tough one because he is a very good OT when healthy the problem has been that he could break down at any moment.  So do you pony up hoping he stays healthy deeper in to his 30's or roll the dice and getting a more affordable option in free agency or in the draft?  You also have to think about protecting your franchise so you can't roll the dice too much.

fightphoe93 posted:

Yeah I think missing on Spriggs is extremely glaring right now. Bulaga has them over a barrel to an extent because they have no legit options behind him or in FA really. Any OT available in FA of his caliber is going to cost the same or more. 

The only reason I could see them deciding to wing it without Bulaga is the ZBS. Traditionally the ZBS has allowed for average physical talent to thrive if they have the requisite intelligence and athleticism. The amount of TE sets GB uses also provides some support to OTs as well, so I could see them looking at Turner as the RT, drafting a replacement, starting Patrick at RG, and giving support against Mack, Hunter, Griffin, etc. with backs and TEs.

SF came up short because Jimmy wilted in crunch time.  Brady excels in crunch time, historically.  That may be missing the forest for the trees but that would be the difference between the two.

With SF's D and running game, they don't need a 4500yd 35TD QB.  They probably don't need their QB to be all that mobile either.  But they do need their QB to be nails when called upon after the oppositing team shuts their running game down.  

And SF is Brady's hometown team.  

Last edited by DH13
Pakrz posted:

Somebody help me out with the Tom Brady to SF rumors flying around.  I get that he's Tom-f'ing-Brady, but the guy will be 43 before the season starts.  Jimmy G had his team thisclose to a championship last year and had a QBR over 100 (102).... Brady was at 88.  

Makes zero sense.  

If you think Jimmy G had anything to do with getting them anywhere in the playoffs you may need to quit drinking in the morning.

Pakrz posted:

Somebody help me out with the Tom Brady to SF rumors flying around.  I get that he's Tom-f'ing-Brady, but the guy will be 43 before the season starts.  Jimmy G had his team thisclose to a championship last year and had a QBR over 100 (102).... Brady was at 88.  

Makes zero sense.  

He threw a whopping total of 8 times in the NFCC and as other have said, when KC came roaring back and they needed him to be a franchise QB, he shit the bed.

Pretty obvious Shannan's trust in him only goes so far. It wouldn't surprise me if they moved on from him in the same way the Ravens did with Flacco. Very similar ceilings.     

Henry posted:
Pakrz posted:

Makes zero sense.  

If you think Jimmy G had anything to do with getting them anywhere in the playoffs you may need to quit drinking in the morning.

hey now, that's uncalled for.  people that don't drink in the morning can be just as dumbass as those that do.   

Henry posted:
Pakrz posted:

Makes zero sense.  

Drinking in the morning is perfectly fine.  I think Jimmy G is good enough for that team.  No way in hell would I bring in a 43 year old QB.  

Pakrz posted:
Henry posted:
Pakrz posted:

Makes zero sense.  

Drinking in the morning is perfectly fine.  I think Jimmy G is good enough for that team.  No way in hell would I bring in a 43 year old QB.  

I don't really care about Brady but Jimmy *Gulp* is pretty horseshit when it comes to pressure.  He makes Cousins look downright composed.

Brady would do it just to flip a middle finger at Belichek. I think Brady would like to go to a team like SF that has a great D and with a good QB probably would have won the SB last year. Mahomes was nails, but if SF converts on even a couple third downs and keeps KC off the field, time runs out on Mahomes. Brady could be that guy. He wins another one in his backyard and does it without BB, and then he rides off into the sunset -- 'bout time, too.

DH13 posted:

SF came up short because Jimmy wilted in crunch time.  Brady excels in crunch time, historically.  That may be missing the forest for the trees but that would be the difference between the two.

Everybody seems to forget Brady did not exactly excel in crunch time last season.   The breakdown is coming and it will happen very very fast.   With that in mind i pray San Fran gives him a 3 year contract for more than the Suckqueens gave Buzz Cuzz.   Nothing would be better than to see the Whiners in cap hell again.  

packerboi posted:

Had nearly 1000 yards receiving in 2017. Ran a 4.27 at his combine.

The thing with San Francisco is, either they're up against the cap and can't afford him, or they don't have confidence in him. His salary isn't bad. They need receivers, so, if they're letting him test the market, that's a red flag for me.

Fandame posted:

Brady would do it just to flip a middle finger at Belichek. I think Brady would like to go to a team like SF that has a great D and with a good QB probably would have won the SB last year. Mahomes was nails, but if SF converts on even a couple third downs and keeps KC off the field, time runs out on Mahomes. Brady could be that guy. He wins another one in his backyard and does it without BB, and then he rides off into the sunset -- 'bout time, too.

I doubt Brady would be looking for a big contract as well.  He knows he's 43 and he was never concerned about being the highest paid QB either.  My guess is it's more about Belichek and riding off into the sunset proven he's won on two different squads.

Last edited by Henry
Link copied to your clipboard.