Skip to main content

Curious what the compensation would be...at least a 1st right? Acquiring Hopkins would be an β€œall-in” type of move. You’re getting an all-pro at the prime of his career on a surprisingly reasonable contract compared to his skill level. Also removes a huge draft need, allowing you to stock up on trench players. 

Last edited by Grave Digger
Grave Digger posted:

Curious what the compensation would be...at least a 1st right? Acquiring Hopkins would be an β€œall-in” type of move. You’re getting an all-pro at the prime of his career on a surprisingly reasonable contract compared to his skill level. Also removes a huge draft need, allowing you to stock up on trench players. 

It wouldn't shock me if the Texans demanded 2 1st's actually. He's just 27. He's had 6 out of his last 7 seasons with >1000 yards receiving and double digit TD's 2 out of his last 3 seasons. He's in his prime.

Hopkins and Adams would be ridiculous and a nightmare even for top tier defenses. Couple them with Aaron Jones (including his ability as an outstanding pass catching RB). AR would have silly amounts of options.

And yes, I think this would be an "all in" type situation for Rodgers and the Packers. It's a 3 year realistic window with AR playing at a high level. I could see Gutey pushing chips into the table, but I don't know if it's this year and if it's a deal like trading for Hopkins.            

Last edited by packerboi

The Draft picture might be getting a little clearer with GB...having veterans at ILB and RT, albeit not superstars, gives them flexibility to pick the BPA almost regardless of position. That doesn’t preclude either of those positions, certainly depth at both is atrocious, but it gives them flexibility to wait for veteran cuts or trade opportunities to shore up those positions if we see elite players at other positions fall. We were kind of locked into ILB and RT before the draft. Honestly nothing is off the table right now in R1, maybe STs. 

So one year after breaking the bank on veteran free agents, the Packers are now signing veteran free agents BEFORE actual free agency begins and they are not overpaying for one of their own mediocre players (Martinez) but rather letting him walk.

Hard to overstate just how differently Gutey is operating than Ted Thompson did when it comes to free agency.

Peter King
@peter_king
Hopkins1 Re my Hopkins note, this is what I wrote: - It might be just pre-draft chatter, but 2 teams told me to watch Houston and DeAndre Hopkins, who has 3 years and a reasonable $40-million left on his contract and who'd cause only a $3m cap hit if traded ...
SteveLuke posted:

So one year after breaking the bank on veteran free agents, the Packers are now signing veteran free agents BEFORE actual free agency begins and they are not overpaying for one of their own mediocre players (Martinez) but rather letting him walk.

Hard to overstate just how differently Gutey is operating than Ted Thompson did when it comes to free agency.

We figured you would overstate it considering that's all you talk about. 

Last edited by Henry

It is not possible to overstate how horrible that trade is for the Texans. Bill O Brien should be sent to Gitmo.

A top 3 WR with 3 years left on an unbelievably cap and team friendly contract for a 28 year old RB that had 1 nice year 3 years ago and was significantly outplayed by Kenyan Drake.  Duke Johnson is better and cheaper than Johnson at this point.

If Arizona simply swapped the 4ths and the Texans took Johnson and his contract off their hands, I'd say AZ won that trade.  

It's absolutely MIND BOGGLING that 1) any team got a top 3 WR for so little and 2) that no other team offered more? 

Timpranillo posted:

Wow that's a steal for Arizona. 3 years of a top 3-4 WR for a RB that's been injured a ton lately and two non 1st round picks. 

Damn. 

And they got to dump Johnson's 10M contract on Houston. 

I'm not getting it. I know O'Brien didn't like Hopkins and wanted him gone but that was the best they could do? A broken, expensive RB, a 2nd and swapping 4th rounders in 20 and 21?

I'd have given a GBs first straight up. Houston could have turned that into three or four other picks. 

AtTheMurph posted:
michiganjoe posted:

Browns release Morgan Burnett.

I'm surprised he was still in the league. I thought he was terrible in Green Bay. He was AJ Hawk without the splash plays.

Burnett was the typical mediocre Packer defensive player in the last decade who kept his mouth shut and got paid mostly because Ted drafted them and because Ted was never going to make a trade or sign a FA to replace them with another veteran.

Brad Jones, Hawk, Nick Perry, Burnett, yuck.

AtTheMurph posted:
Timpranillo posted:

Wow that's a steal for Arizona. 3 years of a top 3-4 WR for a RB that's been injured a ton lately and two non 1st round picks. 

Damn. 

And they got to dump Johnson's 10M contract on Houston. 

I'm not getting it. I know O'Brien didn't like Hopkins and wanted him gone but that was the best they could do? A broken, expensive RB, a 2nd and swapping 4th rounders in 20 and 21?

I'd have given a GBs first straight up. Houston could have turned that into three or four other picks. 

Fans (and probably lots of GMs) of 30 other teams are screaming that they'd have given up way for for him.

I would not say we are out of the market for ilb at all.  we are taking a 'flyer' on kirksey, when i see this kind of stuff, makes me worried a little, now if we can re-kindle some of that fire, we got something.  i still think they are in the game, either a high draft pick or fa: - from cbs sports:

'Cleveland's defense gave up over 400 yards of total offense in all seven games Kirksey played in, and gave up 400 yards of total offense just once in the other nine games when Kirksey was sidelined.' 

That last statement is beyond an exponential fucking leap.  Yes, one guy, particularly a LB is responsible for 400 yards of offense.  Do the amount of yards correlate with a win or loss or were they all losses?  Let's also not look at who/what/where these games occurred.  I hate that lazy fucking shit reporting.  

The guy is a pretty safe flyer and the contract bears it out.  Cleveland only let him go because they had to with his contract.  Sounds like they weren't over eager to get rid of him.

He's one guy at ILB.  I don't think it's a matter of being done shopping for ILB rather money and availability.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple guys drafted.

Last edited by Henry
Henry posted:

That last statement is beyond an exponential fucking leap.  Yes, one guy, particularly a LB is responsible for 400 yards of offense.  Do the amount of yards correlate with a win or loss or were they all losses?  Let's also not look at who/what/where these games occurred.  I hate that lazy fucking shit reporting.  

The guy is a pretty safe flyer and the contract bears it out.  Cleveland only let him go because they had to with his contract.  Sounds like they weren't over eager to get rid of him.

He's one guy at ILB.  I don't think it's a matter of being done shopping for ILB rather money and availability.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple guys drafted.

I think it will be Linebacker and a strong safety/hybrid guy.

Link copied to your clipboard.