Skip to main content

PackerPatrick posted:

I am reading stuff about how Hooper is cool with coming to the Packers. I get that. But why would the team want to spend 10+ Mil per year on a TE after releasing a TE getting less? Is he really that much better than Graham? Is that really where the team wants to spend it’s limited cap money? 
If he is, great, but I don’t see it. Am I missing something? 

Or why pay $10 million for a TE when we could draft one at rookie salary?

He's a proven commodity.  He is that much better for the Packers than Graham considering he can do multiple things, like blocking. 

Not a great TE draft?  Yeah, an option is to bring him in so you dump draft picks on big contributors on both lines and a couple of skill guys.

I wouldn't mind picking up Joseph in FA instead.  Price might be better and the experience would be a bonus playing next to Clark.  Keep Fling a Fak for blocking and short passing game and draft another TE alongside Sternberger.  Lazard will play into that TE equation as well.

PackLandVA posted:

So is "unofficial" free agency going to start tomorrow and official FA om Wednesday?  Or is it going to be delayed?

@AlbertBreer: The NFL sent a memo to teams informing them that league business this week will go forward as scheduled. So ...

β€’ Monday, 11:59 a.m. ET: Deadline for franchise/transition tags
β€’ Monday, 12:00 p.m. ET: Legal tampering window opens.
β€’ Wednesday, 4 p.m. ET: League Year begins.

Last edited by ilcuqui

Packers cap got hit by the new CBA. Basically a $5.3M reduction in available spending money. If they want to make an UFA moves. This doesn’t account for all of our RFA’s, which we will be keeping a bunch, so I’m guessing we will have to make more roster reductions if we want to shore up any weaknesses with vet FA’s. Lane Taylor is obviously a prime candidate, but Linsley’s $8M cap hit would help. Patrick isn’t a slouch at Center, Jenkins probably wouldn’t be either, I think we could make it work without CL. If push comes to shove I would rather have Bulaga at $12M hit than Linsley and Taylor at $12M.

C25D2985-EA31-4BEB-8EE7-71A3CE12AD86

Attachments

Images (1)
  • C25D2985-EA31-4BEB-8EE7-71A3CE12AD86
Last edited by Grave Digger

Pettine was the Browns' coach when they drafted him.

Solid deal.  I'm guessing a 2 year deal sealed it.  Sounds like he was a cap casuality partially due to injury.  He brings a lot of solid intangibles with the skill set including replacing Martinez as field general.  The injuries he had don't sound long term either but he has to prove he can stay healthy.  Gotta think ILB will still be high priority in the draft.

When he was at his peak, Kirksey got after the quarterback when he was deployed, registering at least two sacks in each of his first four seasons. He’s a high-volume tackler who is built to play the run and the pass.

In just seven games in 2018, Kirksey had career highs in passes defensed (5) and interceptions (2). Like Alexander, Kirksey played special teams throughout his career. He played around 50 percent of the special teams snaps in his first four seasons.

Last edited by Henry
Grave Digger posted:

Hopefully he stays healthy. Good low cost move, probably won't have a huge cap number in 2020, maybe ~$5M. They can probably get similar production to Martinez and then draft a better chase LB to pair with him. I'm curious what Curtis Bolton will do, he's a good fit paired with a thumper like Kirk. 

Pretty sure the Oren Burks experiment is going to continue but I hope they aren't banking on him as a chase guy even though that's what he was drafted for. 

Basically, if Kirksey wasn't injured the past two years he'd be getting a big ass contract.  He does everything Martinez does but also has some coverage skills.

Last edited by Henry
PackerHawk posted:
Henry posted:

I'm guessing that's probably it for FA.

I think we'll see one more "name" FA signing. Maybe a WR/TE/OT that doesn't break the bank. But if this is it and we fill those other holes via the draft that's cool, too. 

Even better if we get the 6" Kirksey from Madden. A Juan Zamboni dream. 

I'd be happy as shit if they could get Linval Joseph.  Those two signings alone would let Grzzzzz load up on skill guys and oline in the draft.

I don't know how thrilled Prescott will be with this, but he probably doesn't have much choice. A couple of these players may also be available for trade.  

Another not pricey deal.

@AaronWilson_NFL:  Rick Wagner (Packers): $11M total over two years base pay with $2.25M base salaries each year, plus $1M third day 2021 league year roster bonus, $250K workout bonus annual, up to $750K total annual workout bonus, plus $2.75M playtime base escalator in 2021, $500K incentive 2020

Can this guy play? 

Hate to lose Bulaga, but such is life. Hope he cashes in somewhere. 

I have never met Rick Wagner, but he was my cousin's roommate at Wisconsin. They played on the same offensive line at West Allis Hale high school and is close with many members of my extended family.  From the people I have talked to about him, he is an awesome guy and while we sort of make fun of the "Packer People" thing, he truly is someone you want as a Green Bay Packer.

I'll say this for Gutenmeister. He don't fuck around. Ted would have shaved his cat, given himself a home perm, and re-painted the inside of his mailbox before he even realized FA was open.

And hats off the Russ Ball, these are really cap friendly deals that GB can easily move on from. It also gives GB a lot more lee way in how they draft when you fill some key needs and not have to find everything and everyone via the draft. incredibly refreshing.    

With the latest OT signing in the NFL for >$16M, I think Bulaga is just more than GB can afford. Hope Wagner can be serviceable and not a liability in a division with Khalil Mack, Danielle Hunter, and maybe Chase Young...not to mention competing against NFC teams with Nick Bosa, Frank Clark, Cam Jordan, etc. Their plan hopefully involves blocking TEs, because putting Wagner on an island is a recipe for disaster.

Per NFL insider Mike Lombardi, who is also linking with Peter King, the #Packers could be interested in trading for All-Pro Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins.  

This was re-iterated on the Bill Michaels Show. Again, rumor at this point.

packerboi posted:

Per NFL insider Mike Lombardi, who is also linking with Peter King, the #Packers could be interested in trading for All-Pro Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins.  

This was re-iterated on the Bill Michaels Show. Again, rumor at this point.

Image result for blink gif

IF players perform at a good enough level, the Packers just made two really quality deals. Are they better today than they were at this time last year? No, Bulaga and Martinez are objectively better players, but value also takes into account skill vs. cost. GB thinks will get more bang for their buck from these two, it’s hard to argue that’s possible if things fall right. Big gamble though. 

Link copied to your clipboard.