Skip to main content

$2.5M isn’t bad for a guy with Fun’s upside. Upside is quality starter, which that total is obscenely low for a quality starter. If he plays well then he can be resigned or signed a solid deal elsewhere and we get a comp pick. Downside is he’s a camp body and while that would suck to eat $2.5M, that amount won’t cause us to miss out on a better FA in the end.

Jeremy Fowler, national NFL writer: The Green Bay Packers at tight end. That Green Bay didn't make a harder push for Austin Hooper was a bit curious. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers needs help over the middle and at the complementary receiver spots opposite Davante Adams. Tight end is weak in the draft, too.

What is it these dumb fucks don’t get about the Packers have limited cap room and have two cornerstone pieces due contracts in 2021?

Sorry Jeremy, Packers need to extend Pro bowl LT, and best interior lineman they’ve had in decades more than a FA TE that if their lucky catches 8 TD.

GMo, for whatever reason, played well and then hit a wall. I don't think it's his ceiling, but after a couple injuries, he's never been the same receiver. Last year was the first year he played in all 16 games and he started six, yet he caught only 34 balls and has six TDs over the four years. In both 2018 and 2019, he was signed to just one-year contracts, so GB didn't think too much of his future either. Lazard is better.

Allison seemed far too tentative for a guy that many expected to really contribute. At times itr felt as if he was surprised to have caught the ball and then struggled to know wtf to do after the catch. Strip fumbles on those catch and runs, and really not much aggressiveness for the ball in the air, considering his lanky frame. I had hopes for him, but I'm not sorry he's gone. He had opportunity. He will add to the Loins like JG adds to the Bores.

YATittle posted:

From the comments on the story, they mention his propensity to fumble when fighting for more yardage. That was a serious issue.

Or, he sucked.  I'm sure he'll lead the league in separation.

Henry posted:

YATittle posted:

From the comments on the story, they mention his propensity to fumble when fighting for more yardage. That was a serious issue.

Last night I watched the home opener vs. the Bears where Rodgers got injured and came back to win the game. Allison caught three key passes in a row, then made that great play on that long TD pass.

He had potential. Just wasn't the same after the injury. Too many dropped balls, too, too many pass plays where he wasn't where Rodgers thought he would be.

From the comments field on that link: 

Very limited as a player.

Can’t beat press coverage. Can’t be your slot guy. Have to get him open with motion and last can’t win fights for a ball in the air.

You have to design plays to get him open.

Not worth the money he is being paid now so why would you want to pay that and a pick

YATittle posted:
Henry posted:

YATittle posted:

Last night I watched the home opener vs. the Bears where Rodgers got injured and came back to win the game. Allison caught three key passes in a row, then made that great play on that long TD pass.

He had potential. Just wasn't the same after the injury. Too many dropped balls, too, too many pass plays where he wasn't where Rodgers thought he would be.

So did Corey Bradford.  I think we were all excited, particularly after that game, to see what he could do.  Like so many other UDFAs it was a complete flash in the pan.  I think we all got fired up about finding multiple diamonds (Shields, Tramon) in the rough (I know I did) that we'd figure guys like this had a good shot to turn into Donald Driver when that just isn't the case. 

It's the main reason I just like to see guys who have tape proving they can win.  The potential thing is a gamble.  Not saying it isn't worth the shot as teams really don't have a choice in filling rosters but I'm glad Geeks didn't hold onto him only to eat up a roster spot based on potential.

Last edited by Henry
MNPackman posted:

Xavier Rhodes signs with Indy. They are on the Packers schedule this season. Rodgers gets to feast on him 1 more time.

If Rodgers feasts on him and the Packers win in Indy it will be the first time in the franchises entire history that they have won in the state of Indiana.

It's about fucking time!

Chongo posted:

So Martinez blames Pettines scheme for his shitty play.

It's true that the scheme calls for the d-linemen to penetrate, disrupt, and provides for a lot of tackle opportunities for the inside LB's to "clean up."  I just don't think the scheme called for the LB "cleanup" to be 4-5 yards downfield....

As a reminder, sometimes there are factors teams can't control. Like the weather

and apparently where Granny lives 

wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders telling "The Rich Eisen Show" that Green Bay and its frigid weather were major factors in his free-agency decision to dismiss a three-year overture from the Packers in favor of a two-year deal with the New Orleans Saints.

Asked whether he chose Drew Brees over Aaron Rodgers, Sanders said, "I don't have a problem with Aaron Rodgers. It’s just Green Bay, that cold weather, Rich, I wasn’t trying to do it, man” Sanders said.

“To be in a dome 12 games out of a year in a pass-heavy offense or go to Green Bay? I can’t do it. I’d rather go to New Orleans. I’m from the South. My grandma is six hours away, can come to all the games. I can have my family drive up. It was just a perfect opportunity for me.”

I think Brady Poppinga said something recently about how GB is still a barrier for UFA's. I think being in the NFCC recently and having Aaron Rodgers are draws for vets who are looking for the possibility of a ring, but unfortunately GB is still going to have to outbid other teams more often than not. 

YATittle posted:
Henry posted:

YATittle posted:

It was just another example of a skill player surprising defenders because they hadn't studied him yet.  As soon as he had some success they figured out how to flat erase him.  It happens often with young players who all of a sudden get a lot of playing time.  There were several people here who kept pointing to his production in the first 4 or 6 games in 2018 and extrapolating it out to 16, and then setting their expectations for 2019.  Almost never works that way unless the guy is a bona fide stud.

That and I think Allison is a good match-up against your #3-5 CB like he has been in the past. He got elevated to #2 with Cobb leaving and Graham being wholly nonthreatening and he wasn't skilled enough to beat that extra attention. 

packerboi posted:

As a reminder, sometimes there are factors teams can't control. Like the weather

and apparently where Granny lives 

wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders telling "The Rich Eisen Show" that Green Bay and its frigid weather were major factors in his free-agency decision...

Well, we will be coming down to New Orleans to see dome boy this season. 

Link copied to your clipboard.