Skip to main content

Pakrz posted:

Jace-f'ing-Sternberger.  He can play.

Piss on Gmo.  He isn't worth a shit.  

Agree on GMO. A lot of people were saying the same thing about Kumerow and Tonyan heading into last year as they are saying about Sternberger now and both were huge dissapointments, Not saying Sternberger isn't the real deal but he has to show up where others with expected high potential haven't and I think we need a much bigger sample size before we know if he is a player or not.

It's also worth noting that Robert Tonyan dealt with a core muscle injury after that really good, but awkward catch he made on the sidelines and then went down. Kid wasn't the same since and he ended up having surgery. Apparently it went well and he's now good to go.

This is still Sternberger's starting job to lose, but for those wondering why Tonyan seemed to disappear, that's why.  

Last edited by packerboi

Good to know on Tonyan. I like his speed and down-the-field potential.

As for those saying that we got good value on Jace as a 3rd and this year he would have been a first, well, that still means he wasn't among the elites last year. Just because he might have been a first this year doesn't necessarily mean he has first-round talant; it's the level of talant that has to be judged overall, not where he might have landed a different year. Think about it this way: If he were the best of a bad class this year and were to be drafted in R1, he would still have the same talant, just more money -- and probably be labeled a draft mistake.  

Like, seriously, how is O'Brien still employed? They gave up a 2nd round pick to the Rams. In an incredibly deep WR draft. Not to mention that Cooks had 2 concussions in 25 days last year. So, yes, that is a serious concern. Makes Matt Millen's days as a GM  with the Lions look genius in comparison.

Last edited by packerboi

Bill Barnwell's column on O'Brien is stellar.  

If 2020 was such a pressing concern for the Texans, they probably shouldn't have traded away their superstar wide receiver for a second-round pick before using a second-round pick to acquire a less impressive wideout.
In a vacuum, if I told you the Texans replaced DeAndre Hopkins with Cooks, that wouldn't be a disaster. Where this really goes off the rails, though, is with another O'Brien mistake. The one non-Cooper wideout to get a significant guarantee over two years in this draft class is Randall Cobb, who received a three-year, $27 million deal with $18 million guaranteed from Houston. Based on the rest of the market, Cobb's value was realistically somewhere around one year and $5 million.
To spite one of their best players for wanting a contract extension too soon, they have made three disastrous decisions.

Timpranillo posted:

Bill Barnwell's column on O'Brien is stellar.  

If 2020 was such a pressing concern for the Texans, they probably shouldn't have traded away their superstar wide receiver for a second-round pick before using a second-round pick to acquire a less impressive wideout.
In a vacuum, if I told you the Texans replaced DeAndre Hopkins with Cooks, that wouldn't be a disaster. Where this really goes off the rails, though, is with another O'Brien mistake. The one non-Cooper wideout to get a significant guarantee over two years in this draft class is Randall Cobb, who received a three-year, $27 million deal with $18 million guaranteed from Houston. Based on the rest of the market, Cobb's value was realistically somewhere around one year and $5 million.
To spite one of their best players for wanting a contract extension too soon, they have made three disastrous decisions.

Holey Shit.  I didn't even know that Cobb pulled down a stupid contract like that.  O'Brien is a god damn stooge and what's worst is it's petty shit.

Last edited by Henry

I’ll preface this by saying I live in PA and like Penn State.  When O’Brien came in to clean up the Paterno shit show, he was transparent and open. He did not whine about the penalties given to PSU - simply went about rebuilding a program that was decimated by the penalties coming from Paterno’s turning a blind eye to everything that was going on and also to the fact that Paterno was ‘god’ at State College and could do no wrong.  O’Brien did an amazing job there before he left.  He got respect from players, administrators, and other college coaches.  I don’t know what’s happened in Houston, but he does not appear to be the same person who was at PSU.  Obviously he is not a competent GM.  He led players well and coached well at PSU.  He seems to be able to do that in Houston also, but his GM power is going to ruin/override his coaching abilities. 

Link copied to your clipboard.