Skip to main content

So the Steelers declined Juju Smith-Schusterā€™s 5th year and seemingly have thrown high picks at stacking the position (whatā€™s that like?) the last few years. Thereā€™s some speculation on twitter that he might be available for trade. Would you give up next yearā€™s first for him? Heā€™s still <25 and already one of the best young receivers in the league when healthy. I would honestly consider a 1st for him, I guess depending on what his contract demands are and what you think the receiver draft looks like next year. GB will likely pick late again next year, Juju was a late 2nd rounder, so I doubt theyā€™re going to accept less than their investment for him. I would imagine 2nd and a starter or a 1st would get him. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

I think it's become clear that how the Packers FO feels about the WR position and what we as fans do are 2 vastly different things. They must feel really good with what they have in Lazard, Funchess, MVS, Sternberger and EQ. And we also have to throw in pass catchers like Aaron Jones and Williams as well. Time is going to tell.

I have heard a couple of talking heads who feel they know the Packer's FO mindset that they are envisioning Aaron Jones to have a year like Le'Veon Bell would regularly have with the Steelers. In Bell's hey day there, he would consistently rack up 650-850 yards receiving. Some feel Jones could easily do that and haul in 6-8 TD's as a WR. 

If Dillon takes a lot of the grunt work as a bruising RB, that would keep Jones fresher and also put less wear and tear on Jones, leaving him fresher in November and December. He could be packaged to get a lot more bubble screens, little curl routes, and other ways to get him the ball as a WR. If Jones would rack up those numbers as a WR, no one will be talking about why GB didn't get a #2 WR. Jones would be that easily. 

Last edited by packerboi

So the Steelers declined Juju Smith-Schusterā€™s 5th year and seemingly have thrown high picks at stacking the position (whatā€™s that like?) the last few years. Thereā€™s some speculation on twitter that he might be available for trade. Would you give up next yearā€™s first for him? Heā€™s still <25 and already one of the best young receivers in the league when healthy. I would honestly consider a 1st for him, I guess depending on what his contract demands are and what you think the receiver draft looks like next year. GB will likely pick late again next year, Juju was a late 2nd rounder, so I doubt theyā€™re going to accept less than their investment for him. I would imagine 2nd and a starter or a 1st would get him. 

I like it...the Pack will likely have a couple decent comp picks from Bulaga and Martinez to offset trading away a pick to get Juju.  Maybe Jamal Williams and a 2nd or a 3rd?  I've heard Pitt wants to reduce the carries for James Connor.

Salary cap may be the only tough thing to navigate - unless they time any serious salary to 3 years from now when AR12's contract becomes tradable with limited cap impact.

I agree PBoi that the FO certainly feels different about the WR position than fans. I donā€™t think they will make this move, but I think itā€™s something they should/would consider. I think there is a chance though that if we get into camp and it becomes clear Lazard, MVS, and a healthy EQ have not taken that next step then they will look to make a move. This might a drastic move and itā€™s more realistic they pursue other trade/UFA options that are cheaper, but I donā€™t think itā€™s off the table.

He just wants another job. After he signed with the Lions he says, "Man, I'm glad I got cut" and calls Patricia a "genius" and said in January 2020 that he "definitely, definitely want to be back here" in Detroit. Now, yet another foot injury later and only playing about 17% of D snaps in Detroit (51% in GB), he sees the writing on the wall and it's not "We'll pay you a lot of money to come join our team" much less "We'd love to have you back in Green Bay." He's looking for "Here's a contract just above vet minimum. Welcome to __________________."

His minimum salary would be $1.05 M, and based on his availability over the last 2 seasons, it should be about half of that.
I don't know if that cost is necessarily prohibitive, but there's probably a better way to spend that money.
At this point, Daniels is the kind of guy teams would call if they are decimated by injury, not to be a starter.

I am a little leery of Daniels. AR constantly went out of his way to talk about the improvement in leadership on the defensive side of the ball. The two players who should have been leaders on "pre-Smiths" defense should have been Mathews & Daniels. One interpretation is; Mathews was not willing to be a leader / players became tired of Daniels mouth. I just don't know how Daniels "big" personality would fit with the Smiths right now? 

Link copied to your clipboard.