Skip to main content

Hmmmm.
With the development of Adams' arrest, has Daniels' door opened a little more?

If the Packers replaced Adams and signed Daniels, salaries would essentially be a wash. Adams is in his last year of his rookie contract, and I'm not sure if an extension would be offered. There's no way Daniels could expect anything more than vet minimum + incentives. His days of $10M/year are long gone.

Same for availability. Even if I assume Adams stays healthy and plays, he's doing barely more than nothing when he does. Daniels was (is?) clearly a better player, by far.

It's all fantasy-think at this point, and nothing can happen until the team docs can check Daniels, at the least. But still interesting to ponder....

Timmy Jernigan NOT going to Houston. He's a pretty stout run stuffer, I would be interested to see GB bring him in. He's had some injuries, but he's pretty effective when healthy. I don't expect them to sign him, but I hope they take a look because he would be a good addition. 

Timmy Jernigan NOT going to Houston. He's a pretty stout run stuffer, I would be interested to see GB bring him in. He's had some injuries, but he's pretty effective when healthy.

He didn't pass his physical, so they would have to bring him into GB for a med check. When the coaches are allowed in the building, we might  see some visits from him or Damon Harrison next week

Packers expressed some interest in Jernigan earlier in the offseason because he was a street FA and didn't impact the comp pick formula - but at this point in the offseason that's no longer a selling point.

The other thing impacting the vets on the street right now is the very real possibility of a reduced salary cap in 2021. IF the drop is $ 30 M as suggested by some, then teams are gonna be reluctant to spend on vets and that limits signing bonus because teams don't want any more cash committed on their 2021 caps. 

I think it speaks more to his continuous issue getting caught. I have no doubt this behavior is rampant in the league, so either others in the league are less tolerant of the Patriots doing it, the Patriots are much more cocky/brazen about it, or they're much more incompetent when it comes to not getting caught. Probably a mix of all 3. 

Last edited by Grave Digger
@Goalline posted:

He is underpaid.

I think it's a pretty interesting contract.  It's obvious Mahomes is completely legit with possible GOAT status.  I'd like to see the details but by year 5 that contract may be an absolute deal and Mahomes is already guaranteed a good chunk of it. 

Once again, in the immortal words of Gene Belcher, could be great could be a disaster.

Details

I don't think it will ever really be a steal for either side. It's not literally tied to the cap, but it is for all intents and purposes. The only way one side will benefit is if the cap is stagnant/goes down (unlikely) or the cap skyrockets past what they're predicting and he's left with a smaller %.  I think Andrew Brandt pointed out he's getting basically the standard high end QB deal that has existed since the cap has existed...his cap % is the same as Brett Favre's "lifetime" contract and many others. 

He's truly only guaranteed through 2022 with $63M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2020 salary + 2021 salary + 2021 roster bonus + 2022 salary + 2022 roster bonus). KC has the option to dump him before the 3rd league day of 2023 and forgo all of these HUGE cap hits. 

I do find it hilarious that they put a "no trade clause" in this contract. If something happens to make KC want to trade Mahomes, who would honestly take on a contract of this size? No one. 

Honestly the Mahomes contract is pretty inconsequential to GB, at least until it's time for Love's 2nd contract (if he earns it), but one thing that makes me smile is the impact on Dallas. Jerry shit the bed on this one, he should have signed Dak before this insane bar was set. Dak can't and won't command something near this because he hasn't accomplished anything, BUT I think this certainly set a bar for young franchise QBs. Philly/LAR were smart for getting Wentz/Goff done before this came out. This certainly throws a wrench in negotiations for Dallas and Houston and that makes me so happy. Jerry will either have to give in on some demands he probably balked at OR start over with another QB. Either way its going to effect the ability to keep other talent or set them back again. 

@mrtundra posted:

Did Bellicheat ever work for the Houston Astros organization?

It started a couple years prior with the St. Louis Cardinals hacking INTO the Astros computers.

You can look it up. I guess people only see what's in front of their face.

Mahomes will collect at least $250 million of that contract

Last edited by Boris
Link copied to your clipboard.