Skip to main content

Source: The Cleveland Plain Dealer - Mary Kay Cabot

Cleveland Browns TE David Njoku, who asked for the Browns to trade him in early July before rescinding the request nearly a month later, has made it be known he would like to be traded before the Nov. 3 deadline.

-------------

DO we need another TE?

@Boris posted:

Cleveland Browns TE David Njoku, who asked for the Browns to trade him in early July before rescinding the request nearly a month later, has made it be known he would like to be traded before the Nov. 3 deadline.

-------------

DO we need another TE?

Only if we can convert him to linebacker.

John Ross wants Bengals to trade him. Not sure of the price or what his contract looks like (1st round pick money), but I’d throw a 5th or later at them. Raw speed, high upside if he stays healthy. Could fresh start situation.

@Boris posted:

-------------

DO we need another TE?

No, I think they need to look first at DL, ILB and possibly OT if Bahktiari is out for any length of time.

The request for trade from Ross has me intrigued. I usually ignore stuff like this but he might benefit from good coaching and Rodgers. The price might be reasonable. I agree with others about the need for other positions yet right now our wide receivers (other than Adams) is..meh.

@PackerHawk posted:

Undersized AND slow?!? Just what we need!

What he lacks in size is more than made up by the fact that he's slow.

As my old BB coach used to say, Bad news, we're short, but we make up for that with our lack of quickness...

Last edited by EC Pack
@Henry posted:

Not that I want him to go but Williams is half way decent trade fodder right now.  That's more mileage for Jones unless Dillon starts getting a ton of reps.

You're probably right, but I also think Williams might be a rare indispensable inside that locker room. He's been healthy and he's produced, and that might be more due to his being a change-up at rb, but he has shown a knack for being pretty dependable when he's on the field. What can't be measured from the outside is what he brings in the form of leadership and attitude. But it's pretty hard to watch the guy and not get pumped at his effort and enthusiasm. I think he's a major part of the cameraderie and cohesiveness that keeps this group fighting for one another.

It's a tough spot-his production is what it is, he will never be a featured back, but he can spell Jones and add a slightly different dimension, and I'd bet he's probably been a good example for Dillon. Of that position group, he's obviously the first one that would be a casualty. But when we look at SB winners, the unsung heroes always play a bigger part than they get credit for, and every one of those teams has 3 or 4 Jamaal Williams who get the dirty work done.

I think Jones has been great.  But today's NFL says "don't break the bank" on a RB.  It's a passing game, and RBs get banged up easily and most have a pretty quick decline. I'd rather give the money to LT and the defense before A. Jones.

@Henry posted:

There's part of me that wonders if Williams and Dillon are enough for the FO to pass on Jones or lowball him.

I don't want to see Jones leave, but idk how a front office could justify what his number might end up being. It sucks, but I think most of the league has now adjusted to the idea that you can't pay top dollar for such a precarious position. It's probably why Dillon was drafted. But anything beyond 3-4 years for a rb isn't feasible from a cap standpoint. The generational talent that is Saquon Barkley may end up being another cautionary tale.

Rumor mill heating up that GB is hunting WRs before the deadline. Sounds like literally all of Gute’s Day 2 selections are on the block and are not in the teams plans: Adams, Jackson, Sternberger, and Burks all mentioned as being shopped. Gute needs to start packaging his Day 2 picks to move up in R1 from now on. Not a good look.

Last edited by Grave Digger

Rumor mill heating up that GB is hunting WRs before the deadline. Sounds like literally all of Gute’s Day 2 selections are on the block and are not in the teams plans: Adams, Jackson, Sternberger, and Burks all mentioned as being shopped. Gute needs to start packaging his Day 2 picks to move up in R1 from now on. Not a good look.

Why would anyone give up anything for those guys? Unless it's a case where one team swaps its disappointment for another team's disappointment just to see if a change of scenery helps (for example, D. Randall for D. Kizer).

M. Adams was a third-round pick who has trouble get on the field.

Josh Jackson might as well have a beacon on him in terms of how teams go after him.

Why would anyone want Sternberger at this point? He has more bad drops that regular season receptions.

Burks?

You can find guys with comparable production sitting on practice squads right now.

Because someone has an Adams or a Burks also that they want to shed. Might be better scheme fits might be there when you’re looking for a little depth. Maybe you have an injury and you want to take a flyer on a warm body with a 3rd round pedigree. Jackson would probably fetch the best price as his best football is probably in front of him, he needs a better scheme fit or a position change. Any of these guys are young enough to turn things around, plenty of guys suck somewhere and go play for Belichick and become productive.

Jordan Love better end up being a very good QB. There were several WRs drafted in the second round that were all on the board for the 30th pick that have been productive this year (that they packaged with a 4th rounder to move up and get Love to sit on the bench for 2 years).

Tee Higgins was drafted 33rd overall. He's on pace for about 60 catches for 900 yards and 5 TDs. Chase Claypool went later in the 2nd. A few other WRs that are at least potential contributors. That 4th rounder could have been a valuable rotation guy.

It sounds like we may end up using even more future draft capital trying to fix problems that almost anyone who watched games last year could see (ILB and WR).

Unless you are willing to take a flier on Antonio Brown and those potential headaches, you aren't getting anyone at this point who has the potential to  move the needle much without giving up at least a mid-round pick next year.

"Why would anyone want Sternberger at this point?"  I think it is still too early to talk about dumping Sternberger. Let's see how he does with more playing time, now that Lewis and Tonyan are injured.  Tonyan's ankle may not be 100%, so Sternberger should get a lot more reps, at TE.

Link copied to your clipboard.