Skip to main content

Source: Sacramento Bee - Chris Biderman

San Francisco 49ers general manager John Lynch has both made and received calls about WR Dante Pettis recently, although no deal appears imminent, according to head coach Kyle Shanahan.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Pettis fell out of favor with the staff some time ago. Any team in need of wide receiver help might consider him but the 49ers would not get much in return. Stay tuned.

I thought it was quite convenient that Thomas all of a sudden had an "injury" this week, after being benched last week, of course.
Either Payton or Thomas is still pissed off about something.

But I wouldn't want to see him here. The "me-first" guys are rarely worth the money, and are prone to being cancers.
JMHO, others may vary.

@Henry posted:

Not that I want him to go but Williams is half way decent trade fodder right now.  That's more mileage for Jones unless Dillon starts getting a ton of reps.

Dexter wouldn't bring much in a trade.

@RobDemovsky
The Packers are bringing in veteran WR Seth Roberts, who was released by the Panthers earlier today. A source said the plan is to sign him to the practice squad initially. Roberts has 183 career receptions (15 TDs) for the Raiders, Ravens and Panthers.... es.pn/2TFHy29

Adding to packerbois post....

why did Carolina let him go?

Last edited by Boris

The Panthers announced Roberts’ release on Monday afternoon. The move comes a day after Roberts played a season-high 41 percent of the team’s offensive snaps in a 27-24 loss to the Saints.

Roberts did not catch a pass while playing those snaps and has not had a pass thrown his way since Week Four. He leaves Carolina with four catches for 31 yards.

Took a quick look at the Charlotte Observer to see if there were any comments relating to Roberts. There was nothing other than the mention of his release.

There was this snippet, however:
"Practice squad defensive back Josh Hawkins was also released Monday, less than a week after the team signed him. He had previously spent time in Carolina in 2018. A video circulated of Hawkins dancing over the weekend at a packed club in Charlotte without a face mask."

Scroll Down To 'Roster Moves'

Last edited by Timmy!

One fan forum had multiple complaints of Roberts not knowing where to line up several times in their game Sunday, apparently causing confusion and putting the offense up against the play clock.

Last edited by Timmy!

They are scraping the bottom of the league right now.  I can't believe there isn't one older vet out there that can deliver something more.  Honestly, how little commitment to the position can you have?  If it wasn't for ILB position, Rodgers would be right to take it personal.

Last edited by Henry
@Boris posted:

Seth Roberts needs to be fully tested for Covid & quarantined before stepping foot in that locker room.

https://www.nfl.com/news/cowbo...-available-via-trade

Any interest in another pass rusher?

None.  Getting old and he isn't the DE type the Packers need.  Z fulfills that role better.

Depends on what they want. He's not played poorly, probably would thrive next to KC. Wouldn't give up a R1 pick for him, but maybe a 3rd? I would go for a 2nd if the Jets will eat big chunks of salary to help out cap...it's not like Gute is going to use those 2nd/3rd rounders well anyway! Kid is not even 23 yet and has basically a season under his belt.

Last edited by Grave Digger

I would much sooner make a move like the above for a kid with a high ceiling vs giving up a 2nd rounder for JJ Watt. Someone who hasn't been able to play more then 8 games in the last 5 years.

Gute needs to make a move more impactful then a Seth Roberts. A WR like that is not going to get the Packers into the tier of a team like Tampa.

Looking at his contract, you are definitely saying goodbye to some combination of Jones, King, Bahk and Linsley if you made this move. Worth it? He has been very productive.

"Williams leads all interior defensive linemen with 18 stops, according to Pro Football Focus. He’s tied for fourth among interior defensive linemen with 17 tackles against the run. He’s also third in run-stop percentage (12.2%) among interior defenders, per PFF.

Williams already has more tackles for loss (5) through seven games than he did in 13 games as a rookie. He’s made improvements across the board from his first season that was plagued early by a high ankle sprain that he played through."

Putting him next to KC - IMMEDIATELY vaults our defense upward.

I see Gary, Preston and oh..BTW Z getting lotsa pressure with those 2 in the middle.

I'd rather have Q than a 2nd WR. If we lose Linsley & King next year, so be it.

@michiganjoe posted:

Crying....

NYJ need to eat some of his contract if they’re going to get rid of him. I wouldn’t take on his top 5 contract when you already have so much tied up in KC, the Smiths, and even money owed to Gary and Lowry. If things don’t get done with Bakh then you franchise him and buy yourself some time, you’re going to pay him that amount anyway. Linsley can walk, although I would prefer he stay based on how he’s playing this year...we have Jenkins, Patrick, and the rookie to potentially fill his shoes. Jones will get a deal done I’m sure, I don’t think they want him to walk. If GB wants QWilliams or another trade they can find a way to make it work with the money. There is money to be moved around and creative ways to get deals done.

As for King, I think there’s a market for him, but his injury history is scary for commitments. He’s not getting big guaranteed $$$ wherever he goes. I have a hunch GB will get him for a reasonable short term deal.

He might have a top 5 contract, but it’s 4 years 32MM, or 3 years 26MM for what’s left.  So he’s not a rental.  He’s under contract for 2 more full seasons.  

Bottom line, he’s a stud and it’s shocking that the Jets are even looking to move him as they will never get equal value back in return.

I mean, in theory the Packers 1st rounder will be 20+ and it’s highly unlikely they pick someone of his caliber in R1.

Given what it will cost to keep Linsley and Bahktari and King I think all 3 are gone.  I think there’s a chance they could lock up Aaron Jones but it has to happen now before he gets into a bidding war which drives us his price.

Last edited by Tschmack

What are the odds that Rodgers renegotiates his contract to free up more money so we can re-sign his buddies?   After all, they’re not only buddies, but he needs savvy and experienced guys around him to compete for a trophy.  I happen to know that he already has so much money that he uses $100 bills in lieu of toilet paper.  

Last edited by RoyalWulff

As for King, I think there’s a market for him, but his injury history is scary for commitments. He’s not getting big guaranteed $$$ wherever he goes. I have a hunch GB will get him for a reasonable short term deal.

I agree on King and its just too bad he can't stay healthy.  I definitely don't think King is worth a big money contract after this year.  I just have this feeling that someone will over pay for him that needs defense badly. I personally would be fine if he walks because you can't pay a guy a ton of money for only being on the field 50% of the time.

@RoyalWulff posted:

What are the odds that Rodgers renegotiates his contract to free up more money so we can re-sign his buddies?   After all, they’re not only buddies, but he needs savvy and experienced guys around him to compete for a trophy.  I happen to know that he already has so much money that he uses $100 bills in lieu of toilet paper.  

That's likely where they will find the money. He's due base salary of $14.7M in '21. They can hack off $12M of that into signing bonus, spread it out over '20-'23 @$3M per year and end up +$9M in cap relief in '21. Quinnen Williams cap hit for '21? $9M. 

Right now they have ~$4M in cap space for '21, without re-signing any of our FA's, so any move we make with our own or acquiring players is going to have a rebound on the roster. Unless he takes a restructure, you're almost certainly getting rid of Preston Smith and his $16M cap number. You're gaining $8M in space from cutting him alone. Cutting Kirksey and Wagner gets you another $10M. There aren't too many other deals where the savings is worth it AND we have some kind of viable option. So you're looking at potentially $22M in cap space, subtract ~$6 for rookie class, so $16M truly to play with. Restructure Rodgers and you could get some breathing room in the $20's.

• Bakhtiari is likely going to compromise at ~$75M over 4 years. That first year cap number is 10% of that, so probably $7.5M.
  • AJ is probably looking for ~$13M per year, so he will probably get maybe 3 years $40M, probably guestimate around the same thing maybe 10% in year 1, so $4M probably.
  • King may be cheaper than we think. I'm guessing, with his injuries that he's looking for maybe $11M per year, based on some other deals that have come through recently. Say 3 years maybe $30M, probably $3M cap hit in year 1.
  • Linsley is a goner honestly. The going rate for a top Center in '21 with be >$12.5 M. He's 29, I imagine he's looking at 4 years and probably $48M and right around $5M in year 1.

So unless you're doing some house cleaning, restructuring people like crazy, and getting some good deals you're probably only keeping 3/4 of them at most. Keep in mind you're also looking at losing UFA depth like M. Adams and Jamaal Williams, and a host of RFA's like Lancaster, Sullivan, Lazard, Tonyan, Raven, Barnes, and others. Those guys are cheap but they aren't free. This is where Gute and the cap guy (forgotten his name already) prove their worth.

Last edited by Grave Digger

@RapSheet: Trade! #Cowboys DE Everson Griffen is being traded to the #Lions in exchange for draft pick compensation, sources say. Detroit, winners of two in a row, is added a big-time veteran pass-rusher.

The #Lions give up a conditional 6th rounder for Griffen.

Last edited by ilcuqui
@Boris posted:

Would you give up a 1st rounder for Quinnen if the Packers & Jets swapped 2nd & 3rd rounders & 4th rounders?

Yes, a Jets 2nd rounder and a Packers 1st rounder probably aren't that far apart.  The rest is some damn fine gravy.

Last edited by Henry
Link copied to your clipboard.