Skip to main content

2021 Salary Cap

The big jump in the 2021 cap allocation is AR12 (+15M).  Kenny Clark's cap allocation jumps big in 2022 (+13.5M).  Davante Adams is a FA in 2022.  Biggest targets for restructure/cut in 2021:

* Preston Smith (save 8M, leaves 8M in dead cap),  Christian Kirksey (save 6M, leaves 2M in dead cap),  Rick Wagner (save 4.2 M, leaves 1.8M in dead cap), and Dean Lowry (save 3.3M, leaves 3M in dead cap).

For reference, this does not count Aaron Jones, Corey Linsley, Kevin King, Jamaal Williams, or Tyler Lancaster whom are all free agents.

They would save 5 million by trading Rodgers (36 million if he's on the team and 31 million in dead cap if he's not). I hope this isn't the plan, but the fact that it's even in my mind is amazing.

D. Adams is looking at one of the biggest WR contract in history in 2022. If they let him go, we'd be looking at Jordan Love throwing to MVS, ESB, Lazard, and some young WRs. That scenario would make the late 70s/early 80s look good in comparison.

2021 Salary Cap

The big jump in the 2021 cap allocation is AR12 (+15M).  Kenny Clark's cap allocation jumps big in 2022 (+13.5M).  Davante Adams is a FA in 2022.  Biggest targets for restructure/cut in 2021:

* Preston Smith (save 8M, leaves 8M in dead cap),  Christian Kirksey (save 6M, leaves 2M in dead cap),  Rick Wagner (save 4.2 M, leaves 1.8M in dead cap), and Dean Lowry (save 3.3M, leaves 3M in dead cap).

For reference, this does not count Aaron Jones, Corey Linsley, Kevin King, Jamaal Williams, or Tyler Lancaster whom are all free agents.

Gotta figure out a way to keep Jones. The other FAs can be replaced with what is already under contract for 2021 or with draft picks, UDFAs.

I will not be surprised if they restructure Rodgers and extend it a year (or 2) to get cap relief. Don't GAF about the Love pick or impact, that's water over the burnt bridge already. Doesn't look like Rodgers is close to the end, and his acceptance/adjustment to the MiLf offense will make it extremely hard to move on from him for another 3-4 years.

They can squeeze some relief out of AR and ZSmith contracts, probably at least enough to get back under the cap if we’re indeed that far over. Cutting PSmith, Wagner or Turner, Kirksey, and maybe even Amos honestly gets us to a place to 1) sign a rookie class, re-sign one of our key UFAs, and maybe a mid-priced DL vet. There’s going to be A LOT of creative accounting going on this off-season, Rusty Ball(s) needs to earn his keep. Maybe the league starts banking on the cap correcting itself in ‘22 and backloading the fuck out of contracts...essentially giving few guarantees in ‘21 to keep the cap low, but guaranteeing salary and bonuses more in line with true value for years beyond? That really complicates negotiations and puts both sides in precarious positions, but honestly the only other solution is teams cutting big contracts, increasing supply/lowering demand, and reducing the value of FA contracts. Fans get a watered down product.

@H5 posted:

Go figure. Rodgers is at 70% completion inside the 30 and we get 2 incompletes when a TD wins it!  

@H5 posted:

Doesn't play ILB. Wouldn't replace Preston.

Packers O averaging 31 ppg. Offense is not the problem.

As evidenced all year by guys on offense missing games. Adams out, just spread the ball around. Jones out, split time between Jamaal and whoever. The offense has functioned well for a good portion of the year while missing key guys. It ceases functioning to the same level when the sorry defense puts undue pressure on the offense to carry the whole team. Another wr target might help, but finding some type of answer on defense would guarantee less pressure on the offense. Go rent a Grady Jackson or Howard Green and see if there's a difference. What exactly does Gute have to gain by sitting on his hands on this? Or lose by having a handful of workouts?

They could actually sign players on both sides of the ball. Wherever the talent is, bring them in for a look. I like the idea of Tavon Austin for ST, get Sheppard the hell out of here. Not sure if there is room for Stills with Lazard back. If they want an expensive guy that doesn’t necessarily move the needle much, they could take a risk. Stills is no Fuller, obviously, so you’d be talking WR 3/4. Who are the defensive free agents we should sign? I’m honestly asking, because I’m not sure what guys are available that’d add value.

He can come in and return punts and kicks right away.    I imagine after a week or so he could see some snaps in Ervings role.    Not much of a recieving threat, body catcher, but you have to respect the run threat on the jet motions.

Nice job Gute.     Expect to hear that Shepherd has been released soon.

Perhaps ESB's showing last night makes them feel more comfortable with having him as the #4 WR and thus more freedom to part with Shephard?

#1 - Adams
#2 - Lazard
Burner #3/4 - MVS
Possession #3/4 - ESB
Scat / Gadget - Erving and Austin

Feels better than last week.

Last edited by BrainDed
Link copied to your clipboard.