Skip to main content

@Chongo posted:

QB's make dumb decisions. Not everyone is Brees, Brady or #12. If he can be coached out of it, it will be fine. 

Additionally, people are focusing entirely too much on his 2019 stats...2018 he was a different QB because he had a different coach, different OC and veteran OL. He made some really great decisions in 2017 and 2018. Pre 2019, there were scouts that had him as their #1 QB on the board because of his arm talent alone.

Chances are, your concerns about him may be spot on as to why he fails in the NFL. Or it may be an entire reason entirely.

Could be.  I guess I see this kid as a flip of the coin.  Losing a 4th isn't horrible.  Losing a 4th and drafting Kizer is.

@Pakrz posted:

Love was a stud in 2018 from what I understand...

If I'm reading correctly, he lost 9 of 11 starters and most of his coaching staff last season.

WTF did anybody think would happen?

That video MJ provided gives you plenty of insight as to why the argument is there.  2018 they asked him to be a short passer/scrambler if necessary.   2019 they went full air raid requiring him to stay in the pocket and run a consistent set of plays.  The problem I have isn't that he may have struggled in a new offense scheme but that it was a pro scheme and the commentary from multiple sources stressed how bad, like football 101, some of his decisions were. 

He can make all the throws, run and keep defenses honest but if he has the decision making repertoire of Terdblarsky who gives a shit? 

The counterpoint may be that Mayo and GollyPace like the 2018 version of Love, which would make sense.  They aren't putting the team on his back like Rodgers and fielding a more balanced team.  I'm all for it.

Did Gutekunst sense a team behind the Packers would jump ahead of them for Love?
“You never really know,” said Gutekunst, who around the mid-20s weighed trading back from No. 30 but couldn’t find an enticing offer. “You hear chatter. When you talk to teams about moving up or down, obviously they may have better deals and stuff so then you know there might be some things going on. So again, you never really know for sure. But we thought that was a possibility.”
--------------
That's about as "truthful" as you're ever going to read from a GM in the NFL during the draft. 
.....and the Colts...NOW telling Ian Rap that they "never called Seattle" is complete horseshit. They need a QB & they got beat out for the one Reich & Ballard wanted. Plus Gutey traded up one spot further for a better deal for the Packers.
@H5 posted:

I see no comparison to Kizer.

Okay, Tartblutsky.  Choose your turd.

All I'm saying is if you don't see some potentially big holes along with his potentially big upside in his game you're fooling yourself.  I'm not in the mood for first round bustiness.

Go Opie Love.

Last edited by Henry
@NedFlanders posted:

The morons on KFAN were having a field day with this last night and this morning, so I'm feeling better about it.

Maybe they should remember what happened the last time they passed on a talented QB twice for a receiver and a defender with injury questions.

@Henry posted:

I don't think he's dumb.  He makes bad decisions on the field.  We've seen way too many super athletes go in the shitter because they don't have the mentality to handle the NFL.  It's not unreasonable.

I assume we can say that Love made mostly great decisions in '18.  "In 2018, Love threw for 3,567 yards and 32 touchdowns against just six interceptions as Utah State went 11-2."  And as it's been stated, his play in '19 had to be affected by new coaching, a terrible OL, & losing a TE & RB to the NFL.  In '19, Love WAS the team & he tried to do to much himself.

@Henry posted:

As stated see my above post. 

You guys want to delude yourself into thinking he's a lock, go nuts.

That's what you got from my post, that Love is a lock?  I only commented because you mentioned his decision making in several posts.  

@YATittle posted:

I think it'd be interesting if they drafted Love's former high school teammate, Krys Barnes, in the fourth or fifth round. He's been an LB at UCLA, great kid, productive despite the lack of speed. 

https://www.espn.com/college-f.../4035817/krys-barnes

Kinda hard to do when don’t have a 4th don’t ya think?

@Pakrz posted:

I'll preface this by saying I'm just a dipshit fan, but the only QB in this draft I'd have taken over Love is Tua.  I don't think Burrow or Herbert are going to make it. 

I will also preface this by saying you're a dipshit fan but I hope Love is used as a very capable QB to help balance the offense rather than go full Bert or AAron.

I respect this guys tape reviews. More often then that, he pretty solid. He also notes that Jordan love was on the receiving end of 50 drops by WR's the last 2 seasons. Something to note.

@Henry posted:

I don't really care about the pick.  It's a very "meh" pick.  I guess he has as good a shot as anyone but I prefer picks where decision making isn't a weak point, especially at QB.

I'm ok with the pick. Decision making could be a red flag, or it could be eliminated with reps and game study. Rodgers had snags in the mechanics which were corrected, but we'd be hard pressed to believe that film study didn't play a huge part in Rodgers separating himself from Bert in many ways. There's no reason Love can't come in and watch and learn and study his ass off. And in that sense, your point about being in a great position in GB is true. He's 21, quite possibly hasn't even grown into his body fully yet. It will be what he makes of it. All things equal, I'd think observing AR is a far better position than observing Favre for a young QB. Great quarterbacks become great by understanding what their game lacks and closing that gap with study and preparation. 

@Packmeister posted:

Not happy...at all.

I guess I'm ok with the pick. After my initial disappointment, hearing how he was the final 1st  round grade prospect the Packers had on their board, I get it. It seems they couldn't find a suitable trade-down partner, so they went with the value.

I would just like to see them tear it up from here through Saturday, though. Let's get some difference makers, dammit.

Gary Andersen took over for Matt Wells as HC in 2019. We all know Andersen pretty well from his short stint in Madison.  

I prefer to think of Gary Anderson screwing the Vikings' 1998 season. 

I was pissed about the pick last night, and while I'm still wishing they went ILB, OT or WR, I've mellowed a bit on it. Looking at his production in 2018, knowing that arm talent like his is important in November-December-January in Green Bay,  and listening to respected voices of reason like Andrew Brant has helped.  And, I can't help but dream about what it would be like to listen to Bears, Queens and Lions fans piss and moan about the Packers hitting the trifecta with three straight franchise or HOF quarterbacks.  

@Fedya posted:

Gary Andersen took over for Matt Wells as HC in 2019. We all know Andersen pretty well from his short stint in Madison.  

I prefer to think of Gary Anderson screwing the Vikings' 1998 season. 

One of the greatest days of our lives 👍🏼

If Love eventually replaces Rodgers and wins a Superb Owl, fans will applaud the pick. If he only wins 1 Superb Owl during his time in GB, (many of those same) fans will piss and moan how Gutey (and/or successor) wasted his time in GB.

@H5 posted:

If Love eventually replaces Rodgers and wins a Superb Owl, fans will applaud the pick. If he only wins 1 Superb Owl during his time in GB, (many of those same) fans will piss and moan how Gutey (and/or successor) wasted his time in GB.

...or Rodgers' time.

Last edited by Packmeister

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.