Skip to main content

A lot of promising young offensive players on deck for next year, but it will be interesting to see what they do with their starting pitching. The Brewers have been great in September the last 2 years because when they go to the 40 man roster, CC manages every game like it's a playoff game. Starters only go 3-4 innings and pinch hitters get used early and often. He can't do that with a 25 man roster every game. He could if he had 1 or 2 workhorse starters that could keep them in games until the 7th inning to save the bullpen to use for the other 60% of the games.

Woodruff, Suter, Anderson, and Davies have all shown at times they can be effective starters. Corbin Burnes should also be at that level. The problem is that you can't count on any of them to stay healthy and eat up innings. It will never happen, but the Brewers were essentially a #1 starter away from being a serious World Series contender this year despite all the other injuries. Put Gerrit Cole on this team next year and they probably win 95 games, but he's also going to make more pitching for one of the big market clubs than the entire Brewers staff will next year. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think it’s pretty important they bring back Grandal.  His ability to draw walks and drive in runs and frame pitches is valuable for this club.  His mutual option for 2020 is comparable to this season, so if it were me that’s an easy decision. 

Moose has a mutual option for 2020 as well and if he’s open to it 11M seems very reasonable given his production and they really don’t have many 3B options behind him.  I think there’s a good chance another team could offer him more.  

The bigger decision are Thames and Chase Anderson.  Both guys have a club option around 8M and I’m not sure the Brewers will ante up that much to pay them.  Especially Anderson.  I would think Suter or Nelson would secure a spot in the rotation instead of him (for less money).  

I still think the Brewers need to add another proven starter.   Garrett Cole would be awesome but he’s going to command huge $$$ as the best FA pitcher available.  A better option might be Zach Wheeler or Jake Odorizzi or even Dallas Kuechel.  Then there’s Madison Bumgarner but I’d rather have one of the other three pitchers.  Or they could go for a Tanner Roark or bring back Wade Miley for even less money. 

Of course, Stearns could go the other way and add a couple of quality relievers instead of a starting pitcher.  Will Smith and Will Harris come to mind.   Don’t know the status of Pomeranz but he did well as a reliever down the stretch.   Obviously getting Knebel back healthy and productive is important not only for the bullpen but Josh Hader who was overworked. 

If you are the Brewers, you take Grandal and Moose back in a heartbeat. I just think it's likely they'll get more on the open market than they are due next year. 

Knebel is important, and so are Nelson, Suter, and Burnes. They need some luck in terms of their starting pitching. 

The problem is that the farm system is not strong right now. After bringing up Hiura and Grisham, there isn't anyone obvious waiting in the wings. Corey Ray doesn't even look like a prospect any more and Zach Brown struggled at Triple A as well. And Brown was the one pitcher in the Brewers top 10 prospects as ranked at the beginning of the year. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story...1-status/3161046002/

Last edited by MichiganPacker2
El-Nuke-the-Hurricanes-Bong posted:

I would trade Hader this off season for whatever ransom you can get.  

It was a disappointing ending to the year, but it still took a questionable hit batter and a broken bat single to set up a blown save. His WHIP and SO/W ratios were actually better this year than last. The little trouble he did have was mainly due to HRs, which was the same problem the premier pitchers like Verlander and Scherzer had (which is probably due to some extra juice in the ball). 

He's not arbitration eligible until 2021. He'll make 700K next year. Unless you get back an all-star level #1 starter that's also not arbitration-eligible, you'd be stupid to trade him. 

I'm not looking to trade him based on yesterday or any other home run he gave up this year.  I don't even think he is due for a flame out or injury.  He's an outstanding reliever, cheap and controllable.  He can also single handely beef up the youth on this team (I'd specifically like to see starting pitching types).  

I see Yelich getting Braun's money (++) soon.  I love Huira.  I hope Nelson and Knebel can bounce back to be better than league avg, and I still think the team could use an influx of blue chip talent.  If Stearns is a good as I hope he is, he could build this team to be a playoff team for future with one bold move without killing the budget.  

I'd like Lyles and Pomegranate back with their Milwaukee magic.  Moose was fun, but unless his price tag is dropping, he is walking.  I was shocked we got Grandal on the one year deal last year, I can't see that happening again (and there is no compensation for offering Moose/Grandal).  

I didn’t think Moose would be back this year and he returned.  With an 11MM option he would be a bargain which is why I don’t think he will be back. Some team will offer more. 

I think Grandal will return.  18MM isn’t peanuts and he enjoyed his role with the team.  But if he doesn’t return, that’s a big hole to fill. 

The Hader question is interesting in that his value is so high and dominant lefty relievers that throw 99 are so rare that if you are Milwaukee it’s something you need to consider.  If he could fetch you back a stud infielder (3B or 1B) or a really good starting pitcher and some decent prospects you really need to consider it.  Especially if Stearns can work his magic and those returnees are under team control for a few years.   The reality is the Brewers are not the Dodgers or Nationals or Cubs in that they will not be shelling out huge money to a player unless that persons name is Christian Yelich. 

Hader was really good this year and no reason to think he won’t continue to be decent. 

Still, we’ve seen how the Brewers can struggle at times with the quirky pitching moves and they will likely need to fill a couple of holes including the infield. 

If you are the Brewers, would you consider calling the Indians and dangling Hader for Lindor or better yet Ramirez?    Lindor isn’t a free agent until 2022 so the Brewers could get him for the next two seasons.  Ramirez would be under team control for the next 4 seasons and he’s only set to make 15MM the next two years.  

Or do you try a package deal of let’s say Hader and Arcia for Lindor and Kluber? 

If they can find a way to get Moose and Grandal back that would help matters immensely but if they don’t they will need to look at adding more offense. 

I have to believe Adrian Houser will be in the rotation next year.   Certainly Brandon Woodruff will be.   Probably Davies as well.  

That leaves Nelson, Chase Anderson, and some of the younger guys like Burnes and Peralta and possibly Lyles if he returns to round out the group.  

Given the Brewers payroll I don’t think they will accept the 8MM option on Chase Anderson and would think Nelson would have every opportunity to reclaim a starter role.  That would leave one spot to fill.  

You would think that might be Suter but like Lyles and Pomeranz (if returning) I like them better in longer relief.  

Last edited by Tschmack
El-Nuke-the-Hurricanes-Bong posted:

I'm not looking to trade him based on yesterday or any other home run he gave up this year.  I don't even think he is due for a flame out or injury.  He's an outstanding reliever, cheap and controllable.  He can also single handely beef up the youth on this team (I'd specifically like to see starting pitching types).  

I would absolutely be open to trade for Hader where they got a significant amount in return. But, I'd feel that way about anyone on this roster outside of Yelich.  Add in that relievers in Milwaukee seem to fall off a cliff after one year over and over, and I could see it.  But, again, only if they get more than their fair share in return.

I still think the team could use an influx of blue chip talent.

That's a pretty hot take. More blue chip talent? On a team I root for?  COME ON. 

In other news, i could use an influx of Christina Hendricks. 

, but unless his price tag is dropping, he is walking.  I was shocked we got Grandal on the one year deal last year, I can't see that happening again (and there is no compensation for offering Moose/Grandal).  

Hard to envision either of those two coming back. I'd make a run at Grandal though...

Last edited by Timpranillo

I would sign Moose 1st.  When he hits behind Yelich or Braun he gets them better pitches to hit.  Pina is a better defensive catcher than grandal but not the bat.  I guess you could move Spangenberg to 3rd, but not much power there.  I don't know WTF happened to Shaw, but I wouldn't count on him ever being as good as he was in 2018.  And they DFA Perez once, he may be gone again. 

So IMHO, get a at least 2 year with a 3rd option for Moose, then Grandal unless it's crazy money.  Then see how much $$$$$ are left fpr pitching.  Maybe Nelson will play some winter ball to see if he is washed up or can come back.  And don't forget Booby Wahl. He had an ACL so that should not  affect his velocity pitching. As long as they let Fat Albers walk I'll be happy. 

Tschmack posted:

I have to believe Adrian Houser will be in the rotation next year.   Certainly Brandon Woodruff will be.   Probably Davies as well.  

That leaves Nelson, Chase Anderson, and some of the younger guys like Burnes and Peralta and possibly Lyles if he returns to round out the group.  

Given the Brewers payroll I don’t think they will accept the 8MM option on Chase Anderson and would think Nelson would have every opportunity to reclaim a starter role.  That would leave one spot to fill.  

You would think that might be Suter but like Lyles and Pomeranz (if returning) I like them better in longer relief.  

Where does Knebel fit in?

Last edited by mrtundra

Wahl is under team control and Knebel is arbitration eligible so I think they both return.  I really liked Pomeranz and he could be a decent lefty out of the bullpen but he is a free agent as well and earned some money with Milwaukee with his performance down the stretch. 

If they don’t pick up the options on Thames and Chase Anderson that gives them about 15MM to play with and I would target Moose for an extension.  Had Travis Shaw not tanked maybe I’d be more inclined to let Moose walk but honestly they are thin at 3B and he’s been a very productive player for them. 

Braun could move to 1B for 2020 if Thames doesn’t return but I would also make a strong effort to bring Grandal back. With Brauns salary winding down after 2020 it might make sense to offer Grandal 20MM over 3-4 years although there’s no guarantee that would be enough to keep him.  He’s just such a good fit for this team and playing in Miller Park he’s a force offensively.  Manny Pina is OK but he’s not half the player Grandal is. 

Then there is Josh Hader.   I really think the Brewers have to take a look at making a deal to bolster the staff or fill holes if Moose and/or Grandal aren’t retained.  

Maynard posted:

Well, Grandal and Moose declined options and are free agents.  Brewers traded Chase Anderson to Toronto, and declined option on Eric Thames.

Squad will look different for sure.

The trade with Toronto was for  1st baseman Chad Spanberger who played AA last season.  Spanberger, 24, is a left-handed hitter with tremendous raw power who is still finding his footing in professional baseball. He was a sixth-round Draft pick of the Rockies in 2017 and is a .274/.340/.501 hitter with 59 homers and 200 RBIs in 305 games spanning three Minor League seasons. He had a disappointing '19 at Double-A New Hampshire, where Spanberger hit .237 with 13 homers and 59 RBIs while playing home games at a stadium with a short porch in right field that favors left-handed hitters.

Also Cory Knable was actived from the 60 day DL.

The Brewers must be going to make a big push for a couple of proven starters in FA.

Not surprised at all they moved on from Chase Anderson.  He was pretty mediocre as a starter and a team like Milwaukee is not going to him 8MM when they have other (cheaper) options. 

Not sure what the market is for Eric Thames but it’s possible he could come back for less money. 

I have to think they are freeing up $$$ to sign a FA.  

Tschmack posted:

Then there is Josh Hader.   I really think the Brewers have to take a look at making a deal to bolster the staff or fill holes if Moose and/or Grandal aren’t retained.  

Hader unexpectedly qualified as  "Super 2" player and is in line to go from around the league minimum to about 5 million a year in 2020. That changes the equation drastically. 

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2...ion-eligible-brewers

If there was a relief pitcher ever created to pitch in Yankee Stadium, it's Hader. I mean, he's great against right handers too, but he's lights out against lefties. Maybe explore what the Yankees will give up for him? 

Yes the Yankees did extend Chapman 

Hader is arguably one of the top 3-4 relief pitchers in the game.    And he’s a lefty.  Those guys don’t grow on trees, and even at 5MM he’s still a relative bargain. 

Still, for a team like Milwaukee they aren’t 1 player away from being a legit contender.  They need (good) starting pitching, and they need to fill a couple of infield positions.  

If Wahl and Knebel come back healthy and they resign Pomeranz they won’t need to rely on Hader nearly as much which makes a trade scenario a real possibility.  The value v return in a deal could be very appealing for Milwaukee. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.