Skip to main content

I found this comment on acme. Thought I'd post it since it sums up my thinking about this draft...

People are not understanding MLF's philosophy

We’re not playing a McCarthy West Coast spread it out offense reliant on receivers winning 1v1’s and counting on Rodgers to drop dimes week in, week out. Above all else, you have to draft players that fit the philosophy of the coach which for MLF will be run-heavy, play-action offense similar to the Titans. The teams that have coaches that survive many years are the teams that have a clear philosophy and draft players that fit into the philosophy. Otherwise, we’re wasting time fitting square pegs in round holes and repeating the same process again and again. The immediate needs get filled in free agency. The future is addressed in the draft.

Every single offensive pick fits into that philosophy. The problem is the fans are grading these picks on a rubric based on McCarthy’s offensive philosophy and not LaFleur’s.

What immediate need got filled in free agency this year? 

Billy Wagner for Bulaga is a massive downgrade

Devin Funchess for Allison. Anything might be an upgrade from Allison, but Funchess? 

Kirksey for Martinez? A little faster, but not someone who is a big upgrade. Martinez was a popular whipping boy on here and I wasn't a huge fan, but he's was always available. Kirksey has missed 23 games the last 2 years. It's not like Kirksey is going to be Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis. 

If you are going to draft for the future, you needed to do more than this in free agency. On paper, Green Bay got worse. I know the games aren't played on paper, but when you arguably have the worst WR core in the league from #2-#6 on your depth chart and are terrible at TE and add virtually nothing there it's a problem. 

The Niners ran the ball down their throats and the only response is to replace Martinez with Kirksey? 

They must really think that the 2019 draft class is going to have a huge second year jump by Gary, Sternberger, etc. That's the only way this makes any sense. 

I guess Gutey thought not a single WR in this draft would help them. He's a freaking genius!

“If there’s a guy we think can play and can help us,” Gutekunst said of the draft’s wide receivers, “I don’t think we’ll wait too long.”

@Henry posted:

He's wrong.  Having one, maybe two competent WR is not a strategy for any offensive scheme.  Neither is having a massive hole in the middle of your defense.

As much as Mayo wants the run he still has Rodgers.  Handicapping a great QB is either stupidly ignoring that fact  or they're mailing in on the rest of his career in Green Bay.

They have done virtually nothing in this offseason to try to improve the team for 2020. The big moves seem to be targeting 2022 or so. They have drafted for the long-term and taken no risks in free agency. 

It's like MLF and Gutey went all in on free agency last year to make sure they had a good record to keep from getting fired during what they think will be a 2-3 year rebuild. 

I found this comment on acme. Thought I'd post it since it sums up my thinking about this draft...

People are not understanding MLF's philosophy

We’re not playing a McCarthy West Coast spread it out offense reliant on receivers winning 1v1’s and counting on Rodgers to drop dimes week in, week out. Above all else, you have to draft players that fit the philosophy of the coach which for MLF will be run-heavy, play-action offense similar to the Titans. The teams that have coaches that survive many years are the teams that have a clear philosophy and draft players that fit into the philosophy. Otherwise, we’re wasting time fitting square pegs in round holes and repeating the same process again and again. The immediate needs get filled in free agency. The future is addressed in the draft.

Every single offensive pick fits into that philosophy. The problem is the fans are grading these picks on a rubric based on McCarthy’s offensive philosophy and not LaFleur’s.

This doesn't alleviate the need to have a competent stable of receivers. You need the threat of a passing game to open up the run just as much as you need to run to open up the passing game. The idea is to keep the D off-balance so they can't overload against either facet. Not having receivers who are threats completely neutralizes any running game because the D can stack the box and cheat DB's up on the LOS. Only having 1 proven threat and a couple of so-so compliments at WR doesn't cut it in any offensive philosophy. 

Agree Michigan.  All you can say is that the young players will improve, the veterans will be better with one more year in this offense/defense, and they'll have better luck with injuries.  But that's ridiculous to assume b/c some veterans will inevitably get worse, some of the youngsters just won't improve, and we actually didn't have that bad of injuries last year.  We'll see but I'm not all that optimistic for 2020.  

@FLPACKER posted:

I understand .... however it still pains me to pass over a guy like Queen in favor of a player who we hope never has to play .

It wasn't just picking Love and hoping he never has to play. It was using your 1st and 4th round draft picks to do it. And combining that with selecting a backup RB in the 2nd (when Jamaal Williams was already decent in that role) and a John Kuhn type in the 3rd round. 

Steinberg Sports

@SteinbergSports
·
Congratulations to @PatrickTaylor_6 on signing with the Green Bay Packers! We’re so proud of you Patrick, the Packers just added a terrific player to their backfield! Your hard work has paid off! We can’t wait to see what the future holds in Green Bay! Go Pack Go!

The only thing that makes any sense is all this translating to wins on the football field. 

Unless that happens....and I don't see how it can unless some 6th & 7th rounders are going to start & play very well....none of this makes any sense when you have a nearly 37 year old HoF QB.

Rob Demovsky

@RobDemovsky
·

Gutekunst said he doesn't necessarily agree this was the strongest WR draft class top to bottom. He loved the top but sounds like he didn't evaluated the class as highly as others.

His draft picks better kill it or everyone will be calling for his resignation. Gutey.....smartest guy in the room --

Last edited by Boris
@Maxi54 posted:

Of course he didn't...

He obviously is the smartest GM in the draft then....this comment really gets me..

So, in a nutshell, here’s why Brian Gutekunst didn’t take a receiver: He said early in the draft, they couldn’t get high enough to take one of the top guys and then in the middle he “didn’t think there was anybody who could make an impact on our roster this year.” Then he rattled off Allen Lazard, EQ St. Brown, Devin Funchess, MVS, Malik Taylor and CFL signee Reggie Begelton among others as “guys pushing for playing time and production

That is a completely false statement. He could have gone to #23(he went to #26 for Love) where NE was, they always trade out..and they did again this year. He said before the draft they had enough ammo to move around. He flat out lied with that statement(that they couldn't get high enough). You want to do something badly enough, you can do it. Period.

2nd part...Really?? No one that could make an impact Brian?? No one that would be better than what you already have?? Absolute BS.

Rob Demovsky

@RobDemovsky
·

Gutekunst said he doesn't necessarily agree this was the strongest WR draft class top to bottom. He loved the top but sounds like he didn't evaluated the class as highly as others.

I don't think he valued anything like other teams. 

Last edited by Henry

Yeah it’s a big time “wait and see” draft. If we end up with Patrick Mahomes, Derek Henry, and George Kittle then we’re set for a decade basically. It’s hard to get behind this draft because of how much it differs from “expert” analysis we as fans rely on, but it’s been a really unusual pre-draft process and it’s just as possible Gute fucking nailed this draft. Won’t know for a while though.

This...

@Maxi54 posted:

This doesn't alleviate the need to have a competent stable of receivers. You need the threat of a passing game to open up the run just as much as you need to run to open up the passing game. The idea is to keep the D off-balance so they can't overload against either facet. Not having receivers who are threats completely neutralizes any running game because the D can stack the box and cheat DB's up on the LOS. Only having 1 proven threat and a couple of so-so compliments at WR doesn't cut it in any offensive philosophy. 

This is why the AJ Dillon = Eddie Lacy theory doesn't work.  In 2014 defenses often let Lacy run wild without stacking the box because they knew AR still had Jordy and Cobb and an emerging Adams.  What will stop them from stacking the box in 2020? I guess it's "but MLF's offense works differently" is supposed to be the hand of God or something.

Vince Biegel had more TFL in 10 starts last year playing RILB for Miami than Blake Martinez had in 16 games in Green Bay. And they let him go for nothing.

Maybe they should  have just moved Biegel inside... 

This sums up how putrid the current Packer WRs are:  

"The Green Bay Packers ended the 2019 season with two homegrown wide receivers seeing action in a 37-20 loss to San Francisco in the NFC championship game – and Marquez Valdes-Scantling played just one snap.

Undrafted free agent Allen Lazard was the team’s second-leading pass catcher at the position with 35 receptions and he didn’t make the team out of training camp and didn’t play until Week 5. With the departure of Geronimo Allison in free agency, the remaining group of Lazard, Valdes-Scantling, Jake Kumerow and Darrius Shepherd combined for 74 catches.

Davante Adams missed four games and caught 83."

https://www.jsonline.com/story...receiver/3026329001/

But Gute would have you believe after the second round there wasn't a single WR better than that crew (sans Adams).

@Blair Kiel posted:

Maybe it's my age, maybe it's the Coronavirus...but quite honestly, I couldn't care less who the Packers draft. ...I'll be in front of the TV in September hoping for a win, and if they lose.....my life is not terribly diminished.

Who knows? Maybe Gute knows more about football than I do.

In the end this is the reality.  I'm really not that warped about this draft but I find it bizarre.  Plus, debating (use that term loosely) is a legitimate way to pass the time.

Honest question: Should the Packers make draft choices based on how they rank players or based on how they think other teams rank players to determine how long they will last?  In other words, if they judge a player as being a second round talent but believe the rest of the league rates them lower, should they wait until those later rounds before drafting them?

Isn’t that what all the experts said about taking James Jones in the third? He was rated fifth to sixth round by all the draft guides and everyone bitched that TT took him way too early. Let’s hope this years crop mimics that.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.