Skip to main content

@Henry posted:

I'll say this much.  The current regime sure likes their "potential" picks.  Gorp better nail it or he's going to have a short run.  Just because you use FA more doesn't mean your drafting can suck.  I think we'll find out a lot this year if the season happens.

Thanks Debbie.
Kinda weird to see you joining the pre-shit my diapers crew -

Gute + MLF delivered an NFC CG in their first year together, you should probably be polishing a future - Trophy instead of a future - turd.

@Henry posted:

With established talent and FA pickups.  Teams don't continue to win with failed "potential" picks in the first round.  I hate "potential" picks.  Save that shit for late round flyers.

That's the point Ned Flanders.  Have a diddly do homerific great day.

Gute's 1st round picks:

Jaire Alexander
Rashan Gary
Darnell Savage

Jordan Love

So I see 1 out of 4 of Gute's 1st rounders who is a "potential" pick and its for the most important position in the game. The rest are solid additions to an ascending team. Where's the failures Debra ? 
Which of those dudes above are gonna bring an end to the Gute Era ?

@Satori posted:

Gute's 1st round picks:

Jaire Alexander
Rashan Gary
Darnell Savage

Jordan Love

So I see 1 out of 4 of Gute's 1st rounders who is a "potential" pick and its for the most important position in the game. The rest are solid additions to an ascending team. Where's the failures Debra ? 
Which of those dudes above are gonna bring an end to the Gute Era ?

Er, he spells it Deborah.

@BrainDed posted:

2 of the picks are β€œpotential” type.   Love and Gary.   Add in the fact that Gary was #11 overall, and Henry has a valid point.  

Love either has to end up as an above-average NFL starter or net them a second-round pick in a 2-3 years if Rodgers hangs on (unlikely). The latter would mean that Love was a good backup and Rodgers could play into his 40s. 

Anything less and it was wasted pick. You can get average NFL QBs in free agency or in the 3rd round and the only way Love gets snaps this year is if Rodgers gets hurt. 

Gary is at least a rotation guy. He may not ever be a superstar, but he can definitely play. He's not Jamal Reynolds, but he could end up being an AJ Hawk type. He'll get snaps. 

@Chongo posted:

I think the argument can be made when healthy Bulaga was a top 5 all-time Packer OT...certainly RT. Tausch was a lunchpail guy. Did his job and made up for lesser physical gifts with brains and heart. Bulaga in his prime was physically gifted is an understatement.

Agree. A good way to look at this would be whether you'd to try either guy at LT in an emergency. I would bet that Bulaga would have been at least an average LT. You wouldn't have wanted to line Tauscher up on that side at all. 

The Packers have been lucky that for most of the last 20 years they've lined up a guy at LT that was top 5 or 10 in the league. They had 1.5 years of Marshall Newhouse at LT, but other than that it's been Clifton or Bakh. 

This season will say a lot about Gutekunst's drafts.  2018's Jaire Alexander is a gem....but otherwise--not much....a punter that looks like he is from Alabama when he punts in cold weather and a long snapper. 

Obviously two years worth of evaluation isn't enough, but  a  4th and 5th round from that draft are out of football.

It sounds like 45th overall  Jackson and possibly  88th overall Burks  are having  good camps, which makes me hopeful because they both looked far below average in their first  2 years. and...If MVS plays as well as he has in camp------ just  two of these three living  up to the camp hype,  2018 goes from a one trick pony to a  good draft. 

If Gary and Sternberger contribute--then 2019,  looks like a great draft

But the 2020 trading up for Jordan Love with Rodgers vowing to play in Green Bay for 5 plus years still baffles me---even the best case scenario isn't a great scenario---we'll see. That's a long way down the line--if Dillon, Martin and one of those late round o-linman work out, I won't mind

Last edited by Johnson
@PackerHawk posted:

98% of the population (orange people included) have better hair than Bulaga. Tauscher was Wisconsin Man. I think if you just drew a random picture of what Wisconsin Man looks like he's going to be at least a 1st cousin of Tauscher. 

That's a stereotype of the Wisconsin man. I met a Wisconsin man once who did not look like Tauscher...it was a long time ago.

@PackerHawk posted:

He was definitely more available than Bulaga. No question there. 

But better player, yeah, good luck with that argument. 

I'll make that argument.   From an old ESPN article. 

Mark Tauscher's perfect mark ended on a dubious flag.

The Green Bay Packers' right tackle had never been whistled for holding in his six-year NFL career, which followed an unblemished run at the University of Wisconsin.

He was penalized in the second quarter Sunday for holding New Orleans defensive tackle Brian Young, who he cut-block on the play. The officials apparently misidentified the culprit, because rookie right guard Will Whitticker appeared to be holding on the play.

No matter. Tauscher's perfect run of 75 NFL games, including 73 starts, without a penalty -- not even one that was declined -- is history.

"I don't want to get fined," Tauscher said when asked if he was guilty as charged.

"I've definitely done worse things and not gotten called for it. I was running on borrowed time anyway. Six years, it was the first one. I'm sure I've gotten away with some, too," he said.

Still, Tauscher's streak was a point of pride.

It began with his 12 games as a starter his senior year at Wisconsin and continued unabated until Sunday. Moreover, Tauscher said he couldn't remember getting flagged for holding in high school, either.

@ammo posted:

I'll make that argument.   From an old ESPN article. 

Mark Tauscher's perfect mark ended on a dubious flag.

The Green Bay Packers' right tackle had never been whistled for holding in his six-year NFL career, which followed an unblemished run at the University of Wisconsin.

He was penalized in the second quarter Sunday for holding New Orleans defensive tackle Brian Young, who he cut-block on the play. The officials apparently misidentified the culprit, because rookie right guard Will Whitticker appeared to be holding on the play.

It began with his 12 games as a starter his senior year at Wisconsin and continued unabated until Sunday. Moreover, Tauscher said he couldn't remember getting flagged for holding in high school, either.

So we have established that Tauscher had better luck with injuries, had better hair and was great at not getting holding calls on him.

Bulaga is still a better RT. That's not a slight on Tauscher but it's the truth. 

Fluff aside, it's sounding as if the OL has taken a significant step in the ZBS and outside zone this camp...and as a result our RB are ripping off big runs, as the system is designed to do.

And make no mistake...a consistent running game is a defenses best friend. 

Consider how many great shut down 1Q this defense had, and the offense would 3 and out the shit out of things, and then in the 2Q they'd start breaking down because they were on the field too much.

For me, Dream from Heaven would be rushing the ball 60% of the time and dinking and dunking 38% of the time, with 12 letting it rip 2% of the time 15 yards and beyond.

If that happens, our defense is going to be fresh as daisies in the 4Q, much like the Whiners D last year.

Fair point...Packers were actually just behind the Whiners in an average time of possession by 5 seconds. Packers were actually better in key areas than the Whiners...so if you look at the body of work, the Packers defense has just as good of a season as the Whiners...the problem is, two of their suck performances were head to head.

Until the Packers find a way to solve that puzzle, they won't get to the Superb Owl. They gotta find a way to stop the run consistently.

@Chongo posted:

Fair point...Packers were actually just behind the Whiners in an average time of possession by 5 seconds. Packers were actually better in key areas than the Whiners...so if you look at the body of work, the Packers defense has just as good of a season as the Whiners...the problem is, two of their suck performances were head to head.

Until the Packers find a way to solve that puzzle, they won't get to the Superb Owl. They gotta find a way to stop the run consistently.

Wonder if that's scheme or personnel?

In about a week we will find out which reports were really fluff and which held more substance.  Then a week after that we will find out if the reports on the ones they kept hold any water - so to speak.  I suspect some fluff turns to fact.  I don't know if Henry could handle that.  

I hope ARs accuracy carries over to the games as well.  That would beg the question - was it AR's accuracy?  Or was it the receivers?  Coming into TC I would have thought the receivers.  Maybe both to some extent?  Now I am not sure.  

YATittle - I think it is both scheme and personnel - according to comments made after the draft, what has happened, and what the reports out of camp indicated.  After the draft MLF said that he an Gute talked and decided a scheme change would help.  Then they went out and got new ILBs as PackerHawk indicated.  And finally, there was at least one report that indicated that both Smith brothers and Gary were on the field at the same time.  It was a little hazy as to which one was lined up inside.  But that could be part of it.  Taken all together, both scheme in terms of player usage and personnel in terms of base defense could all play a part.  But Lancaster, Keke, and/or Adams better play better than last year too.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.