Skip to main content

Eric Stokes
Player Bio
Then-Georgia defensive coordinator Mel Tucker saw Stokes at a track meet and thought his speed would fit the Bulldogs' secondary quite nicely. He ran a 10.39-second 100-meter dash in a state meet and also won the 200 meters that year. Stokes was also an excellent all-purpose offensive weapon and defender who was named honorable mention Class AAAA in football as a senior. As a redshirt freshman, he was named Georgia's Co-Most Improved Defensive Player after starting three of the final four games and appearing in 13 contests overall (20 tackles, one for loss, nine pass breakups). Stokes started 13 of 14 games his sophomore season, recording 38 tackles, one sack and a team-high nine pass breakups. He was a second-team All-SEC selection in 2020 after leading his squad with four interceptions, returning two for scores. Stokes also broke up four passes and made 20 tackles in nine starts. He opted out of the team's bowl game to begin preparing for the NFL draft. He is nicknamed "Dirty Red" because of his reddish hair and freckles. -- by Chad Reuter
Overview
Depending upon scheme, need or preference, Stokes offers teams the potential to play him outside or from the slot. Speed and quickness should allow him to stay with route runners or within close-out distance when he gets behind. Stokes played with better press technique in 2020 and he's willing to get physical near the goal line, but his play strength is below average. While there have been mild flashes of playmaking potential, he's more likely to play the receiver rather than attacking the football and looking for takeaways. He's twitchy in tight quarters with the potential to become more disruptive in zone. His size, speed and athleticism could make him a Day 2 pick as a future CB3, but his weakness as a run defender will be challenged quickly by NFL offenses
Strengths
  • Combination of speed/quickness to play inside or outside.
  • Occasional flashes of playmaking instincts.
  • Had two interception returns for touchdowns in 2020.
  • Poised through press release.
  • Stands his ground against physical targets.
  • Fights back against push-offs at the top of the route.
  • Celebrated high school sprint champ.
  • Can run with mismatch-caliber speedsters on crossing routes.
  • Hyper-twitchy with downhill drive to his target.
  • Plays into receiver when phasing downfield.
  • Potential for gunner duties on punt team.
Weaknesses
  • Slim lower body with lack of play strength.
  • Thinks "hands" before "feet" when matching release and breaks.
  • Doesn't fully trust what he sees yet.
  • Mostly "right place, right time" interceptions.
  • Takes extra steps on lateral transition from shuffle/pedal.
  • Tardy gaining playmaking positioning in coverage.
  • Below-average poise and balance downfield.
  • Opponents run through solo tackle tries.
  • Likely to be isolated and targeted by run games.

Prospect Grade

WILL BE STARTER WITHIN FIRST TWO SEASONS
Last edited by packerboi
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think what I like is that he plays confident. Kevin Kings biggest problem is that he won’t play up to his 4.4 speed because he’s so timid and a step behind mentally. Jaire goes all out, I see some of that with Stokes.

King seems perpetually dinged up with hammys.

He can go make a play, but then brain farts for a TD with 10 seconds left. 

It's a crapshoot, but I'm good with the 'you can't teach speed'.  Need a few good non BS videos for this guy.

@PackLandVA posted:

Would not be surprised if this pick is less about replacing KK and more about hedging against losing Jaire to FA, especially if AR and his contract stay in GB.

I think it’s probably more a message to Josh Jackson and other backup DBs that they will need to step up their games to keep a roster spot.  He is going to push all of them down a slot in the pecking order.

I hated the re-signing of King, think CB was the #1 roster need, am fine with the pick, and will cheer on Stokes hoping he plays up to his 1st round selection status.

That said, I can understand fans being weary after yet another CB/secondary/ defensive selection at the top of draft given that the defense has continued to be anything but Super Bowl caliber despite ...

6 of the Packers last 14 1st & 2nd round picks being CBs - Randall & Rollins 2015. King 2017. Alexander & J. Jackson 2018. Stokes 2021.

8 of the last 14 round 1 & 2 round picks being secondary selections - J. Jones 2017 and Savage 2019.

10 of the last 14 round 1 & 2 picks being on defense -- Clark 2016 & Gary 2019.

Considering that 3 of the 4 big-time free agent signees (Z and P Smith and Amos) are also on the defensive side of the ball It is way, way, way past time for the Packers D to finally step up and become an asset rather than a liability come playoff time.

Last edited by SteveLuke
@SteveLuke posted:

I hated the re-signing of King, think CB was the #1 roster need, am fine with the pick, and will cheer on Stokes hoping he plays up to his 1st round selection status.

That said, I can understand fans being weary after yet another CB/secondary/ defensive selection at the top of draft given that the defense has continued to be anything but Super Bowl caliber despite ...

6 of the Packers last 14 1st & 2nd round picks being CBs - Randall & Rollins 2015. King 2017. Alexander & J. Jackson 2018. Stokes 2021.

8 of the last 14 round 1 & 2 round picks being secondary selections - J. Jones 2017 and Savage 2019.

10 of the last 14 round 1 & 2 picks being on defense -- Clark 2016 & Gary 2019.

Considering that 3 of the 4 big-time free agent signees (Z and P Smith and Amos) are also on the defensive side of the ball It is way, way, way past time for the Packers D to finally step up and become an asset rather than a liability come playoff time.

They have plenty of question marks on the front 7. Talent, but question marks, or at the very least issues of depth. Stokes makes the secondary better simply by shoving a guy to the waiver wire. If there's a doubt on the back end it's at the Kevin King position, so this makes sense. The cb position, like qbs, need to be coached up regardless, so this gives Jerry Gray better tools to work with. We've seen King's ceiling and so has GB. At best, King is competing vs his own replacement. I'd expect wr and ol on day 2.

@artis posted:

They have plenty of question marks on the front 7. Talent, but question marks, or at the very least issues of depth. Stokes makes the secondary better simply by shoving a guy to the waiver wire. If there's a doubt on the back end it's at the Kevin King position, so this makes sense. The cb position, like qbs, need to be coached up regardless, so this gives Jerry Gray better tools to work with. We've seen King's ceiling and so has GB. At best, King is competing vs his own replacement. I'd expect wr and ol on day 2.

Agree that there was a need at CB and Stokes hopefully helps fill it and sends King to the bench.

Also agree on the front 7 having issues.

Edge is fine. Clark is good. Maybe Keke gets more snaps and becomes a more significant player in 2021 under a new DC? Maybe.

But the 2 inside linebackers are young, inexperienced, and not all that good. Barnes has a low ceiling but might become a solid player. Martin was brutal in 2020 but maybe improves? Burks and Summers are not really even JAGs.

But how good can any D be that features Lowry & Lancaster getting significant snaps?

Having 1 of these stiffs might be passable but not both.

Don't think any help is coming from the (poor for defensive tackles) draft so I guess WR & OT are right up there when it comes to needs, but damn it would be nice to have some hope that we might see a lot less of #s 94 and 95 next season.

Don’t get me wrong-I like interceptions. Turnovers go a big way towards deciding who wins a game, and having more turnovers forced than the other guy is a good thing.

Jaire, thus far, doesn’t get a lot of picks, and I’d take him over just about any other corner in the league, His aggressive, but smart play, his instincts and speed. Jaire has developed into a shutdown corner. If we got another, one with elite closing speed, our defense is going to be all that much better.

I’ll trust Jerry to coach him up.

No issues at all with the pick. Fills a glaring need. Some people lost their shit when we drafted Jaire and Savage...yet both are easily Gurt's two of his best 3 picks.

A lot of "experts" said Barmore was a fringe 1st round talent...the best DL in one of the historically worse DT classes in a long time. There are several projects that will be available at that position over the next two days.

CB checked off the list...now our biggest needs are jet sweep guy, and RT of the future.

Gives me some serious Sam Shields vibes here. Note how there is no separation between him and the WR on many of these plays.

That he started football so late in life is probably the reason he fell to the bottom of the 1st...but there is zero question about his athleticism...he is a top 10 pick in terms of speed, size, hips and agility.

Last edited by Chongo

Do you think any QB is going to want to test Jaire or this guy downfield?   Both guys have elite top and end closing speed.  Quick twitch guys as well.  

Jaire wasn’t known as much of a run defender either but he developed and is well above average in that regard.  No reason why this kid can’t get there.

I’ve watched some of the highlights and he’s NFL ready having played and defended some of the best in college.  I didn’t see many play where he got flat out beaten.

@SteveLuke posted:

Honestly how long have we been saying that about the defense?  you are right it is time.  We have pretty good OLBs, a great NT, and speed in the secondary so there can't be any excuses.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.