https://www.nfl.com/prospects/...32-84be-468f30564845

Prospect Info

COLLEGE - Ohio State
HEIGHT - 6' 5"
WEIGHT - 310 lbs
ARMS - 32"
HANDS - 10 3/8"

Prospect Grade

Myers could have followed his father (Brad) and brother (Zach) to play on the offensive line at Kentucky after landing first-team All-Ohio honors as a junior and senior at Miamisburg High School and ranking among the top five guard recruits in the country. He decided to stay in-state, though, redshirting his first year with the Buckeyes and then playing in 10 games as a reserve. Myers started all 14 games at center in 2019, a position he did not play in high school. That experience helped him excel in the pivot as a junior, earning him first-team All-Big Ten and Rimington Trophy finalist honors for his play in seven starts for the national runners-up. -- by Chad Reuter
Overview

Future starting center with proportionally broad frame and good lean mass. Myers is battle-tested and has experience in most run-blocking schemes. He's functional working into lateral positioning but is at his best on double teams and working up to linebackers to free the Buckeyes' interior rushing attack. He's not a natural bender and has trouble with contact balance when allowing defenders to get up under his pads. His size works to his advantage against power rushers but protection will become a little leaky when asked to slide and mirror against athletic edge attacks. Myers is solid but unspectacular with the talent to become an early starter.

Strengths
  • Broad and wide with proportional physique.
  • Mass to match with run-stuffing zero-techniques.
  • Makes the calls up front.
  • Processes moving fronts and adjusts work accordingly.
  • Stays active after contact, looking to improve positioning.
  • Slides feet/hips around defender to seal run lane.
  • Maintains eye contact with climb-up targets on second level.
  • Musters quality pop when throwing punch.
  • Ankle flexion for adequate anchor versus bull rushers.
  • Widens out broad frame to protect A-gaps.
Weaknesses
  • Allows defenders' hands into his frame too often.
  • Plays too straight-legged into block engagement.
  • Feet are more choppy than drive-oriented through contact.
  • Average success rate as outside zone blocker.
  • Inconsistent use of hands to help capture lateral positioning.
  • Needs to maintain better posture in pass sets.
  • Hands got washed away by active, well-schooled opponents.
  • Will need to punch and reset to prevent rush leakage at his edge.
  • Slow reaction time to recover and redirect.
Sources Tell Us
"He's a pretty good player and he's got a great build for a center so I think he's going to end up starting for a long time." -- Personnel director for NFC team
Grading Scale

8.0 The perfect prospect

7.3-7.5 Perennial All-Pro

7.0-7.1 Pro Bowl talent

6.7-6.8 Year 1 quality starter

6.5 Boom or bust prospect

6.3-6.4 Will be starter within first two seasons

6.1-6.2 Good backup who could become starter

6.0 Developmental traits-based prospect

5.8-5.9 Backup/special-teamer

5.5-5.6 Chance to make end of roster or practice squad

5.4 Priority free agent

5.0-5.1 Chance to be in an NFL training camp

NO GRADE Likely needs time in developmental league

Last edited by Boris
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My buddy the Niners fan was pissed because he wanted the Niners to take him.

The last time he said something like that to me was when the Packers drafted Davante Adams.

@ByRyanWood
#Packers director of college scouting Matt Malaspina calls Josh Myers a "typical Ohio State kid." He's tough, comes from a good lineage. He says Myers is capable of playing center or guard. "I don't want to pin him to one exact thing, but I know he can play all three."
@zachkruse2
Having such a versatile talent like Elgton Jenkins allows you to pick a true center in the second round. Now you can play Elgton anywhere, plug Josh Myers in at center, and still have both Lucas Patrick and Jon Runyan Jr. able to play guard

He is a Packer type of guy.. He is a local kid where I live and I have a friend who knows him. By all accounts he a is a god kid and a an absolute weight room monster.  Big, hard working, and is a very physical guy.

Myers' footwork is sound, he gets good initial surge and he flashes a nasty demeanor in the run game. He gets set quickly and has the power in his punch to stall defenders in pass protection. He's not a natural knee bender, though, and doesn't play with great pad level. -- Steve Muench

Pad level problems are back!

The pre-draft write ups on this guy are hard to follow.  Most of what I read leads me to believe he'll step in his first season and hold down the starting center position well.  But most draft "experts" have him being overdrafted in the second round.  Doesn't really match up. 

If the write ups are accurate, we should have our starting center.  He's not a top tier athlete so isn't going to dominate one on one's or pull a whole lot but he's super tough, which to me is the most important thing in an interior OL.  And any limits he has as an athlete should be mitigate next to Jenkins. 

If I'm Rodgers, I have to like that Gute made getting a starting center a priority.  Coupled with trading up for a slot WR and he has to be at least a little happy, right? 

Listening to Andy Herman podcast this morning; said Meyers run-blocking score was significantly higher than Humphrey from Oklahoma, who was ahead of Myers on most boards. Looks like Meyers, Humphrey, & kid from Whitewater were very close, may have come down to scheme or personality preference.

Myers seems very intelligent and bright like Linsley. I imagine being flanked by veterans like Jenkins and Patrick/Runyan will help him, but Linsley stepped in early in his career and succeeded. Maybe he will have some issues with protection calls early in his career, but I think our run blocking just improved a lot.

@Tschmack posted:

Ohio State (other than QB) typically churns out good football players suited for the pros.  

The important thing about OSU non-QBs is that they have high floors. Even AJ Hawk was a competent NFL LB. At worst they will be solid pros for years.

I think that him playing through a nasty foot injury says a lot about his character. He did not want to let the team down even if it hurt his draft stock. Someone said that he is tougher than a two dollar steak. That’s important because the season is a long one and players have to play with injuries. Also I think that I read that he was a science major and team captain so he has intelligence and leadership traits as well.

Last edited by PackerPatrick

Larry McCarren interviewed him and Myers said he was super happy GB picked him, not just because it's the Packers, but because Green Bay is a small town.  Said he's not a city person so he says he feels like he is going to fit right into the culture of GB.  Not something you hear from most players.

@vitaflo posted:

Larry McCarren interviewed him and Myers said he was super happy GB picked him, not just because it's the Packers, but because Green Bay is a small town.  Said he's not a city person so he says he feels like he is going to fit right into the culture of GB.  Not something you hear from most players.

wait, I didn't think anybody came to GB bc it IS a small city...👌

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.