Skip to main content

TJ

Player Bio

Slaton was a U.S. Army All-American after his senior year at American Heritage High School, where he played for former Pro Bowl cornerback Patrick Surtain. He played in all 11 games for the Gators as a true freshman (11 tackles, 1.5 for loss) and then started two of 10 appearances in 2018 (21 tackles, one for loss). Slaton began using his massive frame to make more plays his junior season, posting 29 stops, four for loss, with two sacks in 12 contests as a top reserve. He was a big part of the Gators' defense in 2020, starting all 12 games in the middle (37 tackles, 3.5 for loss, with 1.5 sacks). -- by Chad Reuter

Overview

Massive man with evenly distributed body weight that will have him pegged as a nose in either even or odd fronts. While the traits say run-plugger, the tape does not. He doesn't control the point of attack with power and frequently gave ground to double teams and angle blocks. He has the power to handle single blocks and might be able to strengthen the anchor if his bend and leverage can be improved. He's a try-hard rusher whose athleticism creates more pressure than expected. He has late-round value and might become a developmental prospect on a practice squad.

Strengths

• Outstanding size with adequate athletic talent for a big.
  • Weight is evenly distributed throughout frame.
  • Explosive first step into contact.
  • Power to drive center into the backfield.
  • Keeps moving and tracking toward the ball.
  • Able to work himself free of block sustains.
  • Quick release from block to tacklers near his gap.
  • Shows ability to work a rush plan.
  • Strong club arm and drive power for pocket push.

Weaknesses

• Weight has been an issue in past and needs to be monitored.
  • Has had issues with inconsistent motor.
  • Way too upright against the double team.
  • Stack-and-shed game not very twitchy.
  • Fails to control point of attack.
  • Below-average feel and fight-back against angle blocks.
  • Narrow base slows lateral slides against cutoffs.

Prospect Grade

BACKUP/SPECIAL-TEAMER
Last edited by Boris
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not according to his draft bios.  Looks like a plugger but can only handle single blocks.  Says he's better at rushing than would appear.  I don't care, I'll take it.

Deleted for redundancy.

If the guy has enough of a first step to threaten as a rusher it may not be that important for him to be a typical hogger.  It sounds like it would be enough to spring KC, which is badly needed.  I just hope we don't see a repeat of Skates Adams.

Last edited by Henry
@Henry posted:

Not according to his draft bios.  Looks like a plugger but can only handle single blocks.  Says he's better at rushing than would appear.  I don't care, I'll take it.

Deleted for redundancy.

If the guy has enough of a first step to threaten as a rusher it may not be that important for him to be a typical hogger.  It sounds like it would be enough to spring KC, which is badly needed.  I just hope we don't see a repeat of Skates Adams.

Or Jerel Worthy.

@ammo posted:

So if Kenny Clark  takes up the double team then Slaton should be single teamed which he excells at.  Or it gives Clark more single blockers.

I doubt he's going to be in the rotation any time soon.  Hopefully he goes full Johnny Jolly minus the sizzurp.

TJ>BJ

In his interview he said he wants to get down to 320. He also had remarked that he hopes that he can play more reps. So I see more time in the weight room and salad bar in his future.

Last edited by PackerPatrick

Been waiting for a big ol' ugly DL, and this guy fills the bill.
Big + for having a good 'club' move.
I hope he is motivated enough to stay in shape, work hard, and learn from one of the best. He's got the size and strength to be effective, and opportunity is knocking on his door.

from McGinns annual draft series:

What NFL personnel men told me about Slaton before the draft:

AFC scout: “I like him. Fourth or fifth round. He’s massive and controls things. He doesn’t rush the passer, though. He was a backup first part of the year. They started him the last couple games and he was their best interior lineman. He certainly is draftable. He’s really square and strong.”

AFC scout: “It’s a toss-up between him and (Tyler) Shelvin as the best nose tackle. Massive, but ran under 5.1 (in the 40). You don’t see the pass rush yet, but as far as pushing the pocket on first and second down, yeah.”

NFC scout: “A shot in the dark. Fifth round. He’s tough enough. You got a chance to hit on some upside.”

NFC scout: “At least talent-wise, he’s up there.”

AFC scout: “He’s talented, but not consistent.”

NFC scout: “Was a legit basketball player in high school at 350 pounds. Doesn’t play low, gritty or violent. Questionable alertness, urgency, competitiveness.”

This pick may have the biggest boom-or-bust potential.
A dream scenario would be that he plays well enough to push Lancaster or Lowry for snaps.
A break-even would be that he is effective in the rotation, able to spell KC as needed.
The worst is he becomes another guy that just languishes for 3-4 years.

@Pakrz posted:

350ish pound men that can play football don't grow on trees.  If this guy has the right attitude and work ethic he could turn into a good one.  Well worth the spot he was taken in.

I really see Grady Jackson when I watch him. I don’t feel like Grady was the kind of dynamic athlete that KC is, but he was just so difficult to move and did so much dirty work. If this kid could just be Grady Jackson for us then I think we will be a lot better. Lowry and Lancaster have the right attitude and seem willing to do the dirty work, but just can’t hold their ground.

@YATittle posted:

Kenny Rogers was quoted as saying he had no idea what the song meant.

One of his biggest hits.

Most popular music songs mean nothing to me. I don't listen to lyrics. The large majority of them are really stupid. Musicians are terrible poets.

@Goalline posted:

Most popular music songs mean nothing to me. I don't listen to lyrics. The large majority of them are really stupid. Musicians are terrible poets.

I'll raise you one Guy Clark.  If you can't see that, good luck with the cane.

also, you may not be listening to the right music, just saying

American Pie.

Someone asked Don McLean what it meant. He said, "It means I'll never have to work again in my life."

Todd Rundgren's "Bang on the Drum" is a great song, so perfect at Packer games.

@Tdog posted:

I'll raise you one Guy Clark.  If you can't see that, good luck with the cane.

also, you may not be listening to the right music, just saying

Does it sound good? That’s all I care about. Poetry? I don’t listen to poetry readings. Why do I care if my favorite musicians add poetry to their music? Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, none of those guys needed poetry.

Last edited by Goalline

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.