Skip to main content

@Goalline posted:

Does it sound good? That’s all I care about. Poetry? I don’t listen to poetry readings. Why do I care if my favorite musicians add poetry to their music? Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, none of those guys needed poetry.

Beethoven's Ninth Symphony was set to the poetry of Friedrich Schiller.

Here's a poetry reading for you:

Really? Listen to Allentown compared to Springsteen's "Youngstown" ...similar themes but Joel's lyrics are JV compared to Springsteen's varsity. I mean "we're living here in Allentown, where they've taken all the coal from the ground" is not exactly "deep". Compare that to "From the Monongahela valley to the Mesabi iron range; To the coal mines of Appalachia, the story's always the same
Seven hundred tons of metal a day, now sir you tell me the world's changed
Once I made you rich enough, rich enough to forget my name"

Wow... A Wrecking Crew reference on X4! Mad props for that one BK. Carol Kaye with some memorable bass lines, the legendary Hal Blaine and a whole list of masters. So damn many hit songs in the 60's that they actually recorded. Frank & Nancy Sinatra, The Monkees, The Beach Boys, The Association, The Mama's & Papa's, etc., etc. The list is mind blowing. Poor Hal made millions and ended up broke. He wasn't good with money or his choice in women.

There's a Wrecking Crew documentary on YouTube that's well worth the watch. It's fascinating and Hal Blaine is a hell of a story teller. They showed up to record some music for a movie score at one of the Hollywood studios and the Orchestra musicians were shocked at how proficient The Crew was at reading the charts and laying down the tracks in one or two takes. Blaine told them, "We practice a little bit during the day." 😁

@Goalline posted:

Most popular music songs mean nothing to me. I don't listen to lyrics. The large majority of them are really stupid. Musicians are terrible poets.

Jackson Browne, James Taylor and Dan Fogelberg say "fuck off".

Okay, maybe they didn't actually, but I do.

Regarding Slaton....maybe.  We'll see.  The Packers didn't get much out of Montravious, and he was a 3rd. Keke, another 5th, looks promising but is already going into his third season. Khyri Thornton, another 3rd, was, yep, another bust.  So I'll hold my breath on a 5th rounder.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's a non-factor this upcoming season.

Last edited by PackLandVA
@Maxi54 posted:

There's a Wrecking Crew documentary on YouTube that's well worth the watch. It's fascinating and Hal Blaine is a hell of a story teller. They showed up to record some music for a movie score at one of the Hollywood studios and the Orchestra musicians were shocked at how proficient The Crew was at reading the charts and laying down the tracks in one or two takes. Blaine told them, "We practice a little bit during the day." 😁

Link?  I can't find the full movie for some reason.

@PackLandVA posted:

Jackson Browne, James Taylor and Dan Fogelberg say "fuck off".

Okay, maybe they didn't actually, but I do.

Regarding Slaton....maybe.  We'll see.  The Packers didn't get much out of Montravious, and he was a 3rd. Keke, another 5th, looks promising but is already going into his third season. Khyri Thornton, another 3rd, was, yep, another bust.  So I'll hold my breath on a 5th rounder.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's a non-factor this upcoming season.

Just read that Keke had his bell rung and it affected him all season.  So hopefully he gets back in the rotation so we don't have to see Lancaster and Lowry as much.

Last edited by Henry

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.