Skip to main content

One of many season previews

I for one think last year’s lost season was an aberration. COVID really disrupted everything for these guys. Mertz showed what he can do with practice and instruction- much of which he  only got pre-season- which is when he was successful.

Kicking off against PSU will be a tough early test, as will week 2 against Notre Dame. I never assume Michigan is a W, so that is 3 pretty tough games to start the season.

But with 8 home games, the deck is stacked pretty well in their favor. No Ohio State or Indiana- and really the only tough road game will be the season finale at Minnesota.

If there was a season set up to run the table heading into the BTCG, this is it. Can the secondary hold up? Will a bell cow RB emerge? Can the WRs stay healthy and then while healthy make plays? Can a very talented OL prove it on the field? Can the Badger football program keep the Wisconsin Sports momentum of 2021?

Should be fun…

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@The Heckler posted:

I am always leery when UW is ranked pretty high and there are high expectations. But looking at their schedule I think if they can get out of September in good shape I like their chances.

Historically you’re right. But usually that’s been because they were rated based on a list of false assumptions. And there are lots of them with this team:

1. Mertz will be great
  2. They have a star RB on the roster
  3. The OL is elite
  4. The defense will be great again
  5. The secondary has enough speed

If these are all β€œyes, they are” then 2021 is going to great…

Good article on the Badgers RB room and Gary Brown’s impact:

https://247sports.com/college/...-Guerendo-169556660/

There hasn’t been a lot of talk about how good Chez Mellusi might be. He’s the most experienced guy in the room. Jalen Berger has never run for 100 yards in a game. Hell, he’s never carried the football more than 15 times in a game. But Mellusi’s career highs in carries is 8 and yards and yards is 57 (which he’s done twin with- once on a single carry). Could Braelon Allen end up at the RB1? Where does heralded recruit Julius Davis fit? The RB position is a key to the whole season. Berger and Mellusi have been getting all the RB1 reps.

Also worth noting- if your team suffers a COVID outbreak, you forfeit the game this year.

Last edited by Music City

Berger is more of a change of pace guy than a featured RB.  He’s sort of like Aaron Jones that way.

I like what Mellusi brings to the table but similar to Berger he’s not really a workhorse.

Braelon Allen is a guy to watch.  Physically, he’s a freak of nature.  He sure doesn’t look like a 17 year old kid.  He played like a man amongst boys this past season.  Surely, he needs more experience at RB but athletically and physically he checks all the boxes.

Everything I’ve read about their recent practices/camps is the OL is really good and really deep.  No real surprise there.

The other consistent theme is how disruptive and fast and athletic the DL and LBs have been.  It’s entirely possible the Badgers may have the best front seven in college football.  

In a nutshell, they are national championship level in those areas of the game.

The wild card is Mertz.  If he can play at a decent level they have enough good pieces around him to contend for the Big Ten title and even compete for a playoff spot.   If he’s average, they are probably a 9 win team.

I think they will be fine at RB and WR as long as they don’t get a crap ton of injuries in those areas.

Freshman running back Loyal Crawford was dismissed from the University of Wisconsin football team Tuesday and freshman running back Antwan Roberts was suspended, according to a release from UW.

The moves stem from a physical altercation between the two on Aug. 21 at Frederic Ogg Residence Hall, according to a State Journal source not authorized to speak on the record about the incident. A UW-Madison police statement issued Tuesday night said the department on Aug. 22 investigated the incident and determined that Crawford armed himself with a knife. The altercation resulted in minor injuries, none of which involved the knife, according to UW-Madison Police's statement.

Crawford was cited for disorderly conduct and disorderly conduct with a weapon, according to the police department.    πŸ˜³ 😳 😳

https://madison.com/wsj/sports...source=home-breaking

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.