Skip to main content

@Satori posted:

A big part of Campbell's ascension was reportedly how Joe Barry deployed him and took advantage of his skillset. There were articles along those lines last fall, noting that ILB was kinda Barry's specialty

IF that's the case, then we can move beyond superstition and plan for another excellent season from him.

Nothing to do with superstition, Stevie.  I was implying more than Campbell's type of year (after a history of being average) happened in part because of things he was doing in our D that nobody had any tape on (both Barry's D and the way Campbell was used in it).  And with a seasons' worth of film, will he have the same success?

I like the way Quay Walker played as a rookie inside linebacker for the Packers.

A lot.

But I cannot fathom his "thinking" in pushing an out of uniform spindly trainer trying to assist a fallen player ... even if the trainer did nudge him out of the way.

That it happened just 6 days after the Damar Hamlin tragedy in a nationally televised game is going to mark him for a while.

He has a LOT of growing up to do before the 2023 season.

I wondered that same thing about Douglas, but someone was explaining that the center moved the ball so if he touched it that brought a penalty. Can any rules experts help on that? I've never seen anything like it. Someone else said him touching the ball didn't draw the flag, but him pushing back a Lion who touched him after he did that was why he was penalized.

@YATittle posted:

I wondered that same thing about Douglas, but someone was explaining that the center moved the ball so if he touched it that brought a penalty. Can any rules experts help on that? I've never seen anything like it. Someone else said him touching the ball didn't draw the flag, but him pushing back a Lion who touched him after he did that was why he was penalized.

The Packers called a T O before he hit the ball. An OL gave him a shove and Rasul hit him in the face mask. Flag.

Quay selected to PFWA All-Rookie team.

Regardless of experience, 42 linebackers had at least 100 tackles in 2022. According to Sports Info Solutions and its judgment of coverage responsibilities, Walker’s 50.0 percent catch rate allowed was the second-best behind only perennial 49ers Pro Bowler Fred Warner. He was fifth in that group with six passes defensed and 10th in missed-tackle percentage (14 misses; 10.4 percent).

Jets hold Offense AND Defensive rookies of the year; Wilson and Gardener.

Last edited by DH13
@PackLandVA posted:

Will be interesting to compare Quay to Devin Lloyd over the next couple of seasons.  Just about everyone had Lloyd in or very near the top 32 picks.  Quay was a late riser since the combine.  With both available at #22, hopefully Gute & co. got it right.

So I posted the above the day after the draft.  Here are their stats:

Walker - 17 Games, 73 Solo, 46 Assist, 119 Total, 5 TFL, 1.5 Sacks, 0 INT, 3 FF, 7 PD

Lloyd - 17 Games, 59 Solo, 56 Assist, 115 Total, 0 TFL, 0 Sacks, 3 INT, 0 FF, 8 PD

Those numbers are pretty damn close to being identical.  The 3 FF versus 3 INTs offset.  The big difference is snap count where Lloyd had 926 defensive and 85 STs. Quay had 846 defensive and 78 STs.  So the stats could skew towards Lloyd.  But they played similar percentages of snaps (80% & 20% Lloyd, 82% & 18% Walker). Of course, Lloyd hadn't been thrown out of any games, whereas Quay....well, we know what happened.

So I'd say after year 1, it's a push for both teams.  They both got really solid rookie seasons from their picks.

Really difficult to really compare / assess based on stats for ILBers, especially tackles, since they don't distinguish from a tackle in the hole for a 1 yard gain, and a tackle 5 yards beyond the LOS (insert AJ Hawk reference). I looked at PFF scores, and Walker & Lloyd were equally poor, both finishing in the bottom 10 of all ILBers. Quay has a ton of potential but was really poor defending runs between the tackles. He is much more comfortable running down plays to the hashes. Inside he is slow to trigger, which allows o-lineman to get out on him, and when they do he has a difficult time getting off blocks. Hoping that this will improve. I see that Patrick Queen, who I thought the Packers were going to take instead of Jordan Love, had a significantly better season this year, which gives me hope for Quay.

Quay Walker's rookie year reminded me of Devin White's in Tampa.  Both super athletic players who had rough rookie years due to lack of experience in diagnosing plays.  But the athletic talent is obvious, so hopefully he dedicates himself to film study this offseason and improves on the mental aspect of the game.  He sheds blocks and moves in space in a way that I don't remember seeing from a LB in Green Bay in my time as a fan (since 1992). If he does that and controls his emotions on the field, I don't see why he can't be an all-pro. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.