Skip to main content

Here's a little fluffery on Tonyan and Davis - who were both college QBs before transitioning to TEs in the NFL

https://www.packers.com/news/t...th-position-switches

"Tight end's an interesting position because they have to understand the entire (offense), almost like they're a quarterback," General Manager Brian Gutekunst said.

"Whenever you take guys (and convert them to tight end from receiver or QB), there's a level of toughness to play physical on the line of scrimmage that takes time, but there's got to be a willingness to do it as well."

Tonyan has also benefited from having Big Dog, Jimmy Graham and Kittle as TE mentors early in his development...and he's passing some of that to Tyler Davis

Go Packers 

Ty Dunne with some notes on Sammy Watkins:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-sammy-watkins-effect

"There is a lane for Watkins to be the player who busts open the passing game.  There’s still pop to the 29-year-old’s game.

Of course, Watkins left a Hall-of-Famer in the dust that 2019 Super Bowl season, fresh off torching Tennessee in the AFC title game. In 2020, he cleanly hurdled a Dolphins safety. In 2021, within a Ravens offense that’s not exactly WR-friendly, he still pulled off the occasional stunt that echoed back to those Clemson days.
A Willie Mays-style, over-the-shoulder catch vs. the Raiders on a deep crosser for 49 yards. An out cut that froze star rookie Patrick Surtain II. A juke that left the richest safety in the NFL, Minkah Fitzpatrick, grasping for air. A willingness to cruise right into the dangerous corners of the field. For a player who has damaged every body part, Watkins isn’t afraid to get drilled.

He’s crafty. He’s tough. He can still run. If he’s healthy β€” granted, a Lake Michigan-sized if β€” Watkins is capable of winning vs. any caliber of DB in the league. He’ll be exactly where Rodgers needs him, and that means something for a team resetting at the position.

All at the bargain price of $1.85 million with a paltry $350,000 guaranteed."

@Satori posted:

Ty Dunne with some notes on Sammy Watkins:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-sammy-watkins-effect

"There is a lane for Watkins to be the player who busts open the passing game.  There’s still pop to the 29-year-old’s game.

Of course, Watkins left a Hall-of-Famer in the dust that 2019 Super Bowl season, fresh off torching Tennessee in the AFC title game. In 2020, he cleanly hurdled a Dolphins safety. In 2021, within a Ravens offense that’s not exactly WR-friendly, he still pulled off the occasional stunt that echoed back to those Clemson days.
A Willie Mays-style, over-the-shoulder catch vs. the Raiders on a deep crosser for 49 yards. An out cut that froze star rookie Patrick Surtain II. A juke that left the richest safety in the NFL, Minkah Fitzpatrick, grasping for air. A willingness to cruise right into the dangerous corners of the field. For a player who has damaged every body part, Watkins isn’t afraid to get drilled.

He’s crafty. He’s tough. He can still run. If he’s healthy β€” granted, a Lake Michigan-sized if β€” Watkins is capable of winning vs. any caliber of DB in the league. He’ll be exactly where Rodgers needs him, and that means something for a team resetting at the position.

All at the bargain price of $1.85 million with a paltry $350,000 guaranteed."

Watkins is a bargain...if he stays healthy. And recent history says that's a big if. Hoping like crazy he does...it's a long season...we need him for as many games as we can...same with Cobb, etc.

@pkr_north posted:

I don't think we are asking watkins to be the top dog, but a piece to the puzzle

Makes sense
There are about 1100 snaps at X receiver for Watkins, Lazard and Watson to share.

Sammy played 740 snaps for KC in their 2019  SB season and put up:
52 catches for 675 yds and 3 TDs. I'd guess GB would be thrilled with about 600 snaps from him in 2022. His trainer says he's kicking- ass in his prep, so fingers are crossed.

One nfl coach said: "Sammy still has the talent to beat most CBs"

Caleb Jones, all 6' 9" of him, dropped from 395 lb as a Junior to 370 at combine to 338 lbs today as he makes a bid for a job in GB   (or a lesser team)

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers...-makes-giant-strides

"With 36-inch arms and an 86 5/8-inch wingspan, getting around Jones to get to the quarterback is like going from Green Bay to Chicago via the Mackinac Bridge. Once he gets his hands on a defender, it’s typically been game over.

β€œThat’s what a lot of people have been telling me,” Jones, who spent the week as the second-team left tackle, said with a laugh this week. β€œTo me, it seems like a battle every single time but, I guess, from the outside looking in, it looks like I just grab and hold on.”

Jones’ size is rare. If he were to play in a regular-season game, he would be the tallest player in franchise history."

@Satori posted:

Caleb Jones, all 6' 9" of him, dropped from 395 lb as a Junior to 370 at combine to 338 lbs today as he makes a bid for a job in GB   (or a lesser team)

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers...-makes-giant-strides

"With 36-inch arms and an 86 5/8-inch wingspan, getting around Jones to get to the quarterback is like going from Green Bay to Chicago via the Mackinac Bridge. Once he gets his hands on a defender, it’s typically been game over.

β€œThat’s what a lot of people have been telling me,” Jones, who spent the week as the second-team left tackle, said with a laugh this week. β€œTo me, it seems like a battle every single time but, I guess, from the outside looking in, it looks like I just grab and hold on.”

Jones’ size is rare. If he were to play in a regular-season game, he would be the tallest player in franchise history."

He looked pretty good last night to me. Maybe he is a keeper. Ford also looked the part on the line.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.