Skip to main content

@ilcuqui posted:

Just throwing this out there:

If Bakhtiari and Jenkins both come back strong, what O-line combo would you like to see? I have a hankering for this:

LT Bakh LG Jenkins C Myers RG Runyan RT Nijman

Why not Jenkins at RT? He certainly would excel there. But for me it’s how great he is in the run game. IMO the Packers’ interior last season wasn’t strong in the run game and had some glaring weaknesses in pass blocking too (I’m looking at you Royce Newman). Getting Elgton on the interior could cure many ills plus I’d enjoy watching him bitch-slap Aaron Donald once again. I’m bullish on Nijman and think he could do well at RT. Don’t know enough to understand whether moving JRJ to RG is challenging but I’d take him there over Newman in a flash.

Any others’ thoughts?

This is a great post/question and I wanted to add a couple of comments

You're are correct on the Packers interior being suspect last year -  if you look at the snap counts, there might be some insight.

https://www.pro-football-refer...2021-snap-counts.htm

Starting OC Myers got hurt, he missed 75 % of the season. Lucas Patrick took his spot and while he's a scrapper, he's not good enough to start in GB. With back-ups at OT, Packers can't help everybody and so Patricks' limitations are on display.

Royce Newman struggled as you noted - so the question is can he overcome those struggles in 2022 ?  Think back to how he got beat:  he played like an undersized rookie.

After a year in the S/C program he won't be so under powered. Rodgers even commented on his improved 2022 physique. The other challenge for Newman
( college OT converted to OG) is that everything happens a tick faster inside and another tick faster in the pros.

Out wide at OT, there's more space in general and more space between the OT and the DE. Making the shift to guard just takes a little time - but the rookies' head is swimming while Rodgers is doing the maestro thing at the LOS.
Hopefully the game slows down for Newman

So 2/3 of your interior was either a back-up or a rookie; that probably won't be the case in 2022.

In general OGs are easier to find and the Packers have more depth there
If Elgton can play RT - positional value nudges him out there.

On the Nijman front, he's a colossal man - but he's all length - which is great for an LT vs DEs and speed rushers. But did you notice how Nick Bosa and others bullrushed Nijman ? He gets walked back because he's tall and not girthy.

For an RT, having girth & power in the run game is more important than at LT. Offenses are right-handed and having powerful run blocker there seems important across the league.

I have immense faith in Stenovich, so it'll be interesting to see how he deploys his charges come September. You made some excellent points above, I just think there are a few nuances that push Elgton toward RT.

Go Packers   

Last edited by Satori
@Chongo posted:

I can't find the Jaire gif, but him trotting around behind the big WR with his hands behind his back... seems like he's the perfect mentor for Stokes.

@Goalline posted:

They forgot they quit on 12 too when he was backing up Favre.

The screamed about Favre too.
Bob Harlan was Team Prez for 29 years and said the most vitriol he got from Packer Nation was trading for Favre and drafting Rodgers. By a huge margin.

Packer fans are idots, but at least they are consistent across decades 

@Satori posted:

The screamed about Favre too.
Bob Harlan was Team Prez for 29 years and said the most vitriol he got from Packer Nation was trading for Favre and drafting Rodgers. By a huge margin.

Packer fans are idots, but at least they are consistent across decades 

Viking and Bear fans are consistently idots across the millennium!

Last edited by Packiderm

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.