Skip to main content

Pride comes before the fall. This has always been true.  We all make mistakes, but you need to admit to it and move forward.  Ego/Pride destroys the careers of people in all professions (including NFL GMs and Coaches).

What impresses me about Gutey is his willingness to move on from bad decisions and make corrections.

Last edited by Benzene
@Boris posted:

...and that's the point.....even the very best GMs make mistakes. Why? Because they're not dealing with machines. They deal with humans.

The biggest key is recognizing your mistake and correcting it sooner rather than later.

The best example of this was Mike Sherman drafting a fucking Punter (BJ Sander) in the 3rd round then keeping him on the 53 man roster because "someone had to be inactive anyway"

I was never so furious with a draft pick in my life before or since. Sherman should've been terminated on the spot for that shit.

The worst pick in my lifetime was Rich Campbell over Ronnie Lott. The decision is at the top of the list because the Packers ignored their own scouting staff, all of whom were pushing hard for Lott. At least Mandarich (the non-raided up version) was at least a serviceable NFL lineman for a few years. Campbell couldn't throw and the Packers knew that the first time he stepped onto the practice field.

I agree on BJ Sander being an idiotic decision, but that was in the 3rd round. There were dozens of guys just like him or better that they could have gotten as UDFAs, but he didn't lose them games with his performance (he averaged a very weak 39 yards a punt but I don't think he get any blocked or returned for TDs and was a decent directional kicker).

I'd argue that Amari Rodgers was the MLF/Gutey version of BJ Sander. He was also a guy that they traded up to get in the 3rd round. In that case, not only was he not good enough, they kept having him return kicks even though he had no return ability and he fumbled A LOT. He cost them draft capital and games. BJ Sander cost them draft capital but was just a below-average punter. (NEVER DRAFT A PUNTER BEFORE THE 6th round).

Last edited by MichiganPacker

Randall Cobb's wallet got a little lighter on Saturday.

The New York Jets wide receiver has been fined $13,889 for unnecessary roughness stemming from his illegal block on New York Giants defensive back Bobby McCain in the team's preseason finale last weekend, per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

During New York's first drive against the Jets, Cobb was flagged after he leveled McCain with a blindside block as tight end Tyler Conklin tried to advance the ball upfield.

During the following episode of HBO's Hard Knocks, star quarterback Aaron Rodgers was captured on video in the huddle after the play predicting that Cobb was going to be fined for the hit.

Yeah maybe Rodgers should've just shut his fat  mouth and nothing happens.

Hey....I'm all about player safety and yes I know the new rules and the flag was legit as the rules are now. Still sucks. Can't even play the game anymore. Why not just put flags on everyone and play flag football? Wheeeeeee!!!

James Jones getting on a roll here.

Also a really interesting exchange between Shady and JJ at 11:55 pertaining to calling out franchise QBs for mistakes in front of the rest of the team.

Last edited by titmfatied
@titmfatied posted:

James Jones getting on a roll here.

Also a really interesting exchange between Shady and JJ at 11:55 pertaining to calling out franchise QBs for mistakes in front of the rest of the team.

That was actually a pretty interesting exchange.  JJ saying QB's don't get called out in front of the team, and Shady disagreeing saying everywhere he went they did, and gave the Tom Brady example of how he got called out.

Shady ending with "So I dunno what they're doing in Green Bay, guess that's why Aaron acts like that".  lol

Maybe signed by Niners for week 2?🤷‍♂️

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.