Skip to main content

Paul Bretil from Packers wire. “Unfortunately, for the Packers, there are limitations in free agency because of their salary cap situation, as Brian Gutekunst said on Monday. Although the Packers have cap space on paper – over $22 million – they lack spending power, with that figure set to be cut almost in half due to the dead cap from trading Aaron Rodgers, not to mention needing space for other expenses, such as the draft class and final two roster spots, hitting the 2023 books.”

it seems to me that many of the lower cost players that have been brought in over the last two seasons have been impactful. Douglas, Campbell and the bunch that Rich B. brought over have made a difference and not been too high of a cost. That may be the bridge on which the Packers build until things settle down.

Gute says they want a vet with experience at QB2.

“I think it would be nice to have someone who has some experience,” Gutekunst said at the NFL owners meetings on Monday. "

The QB market has been picked over, but one old dog that might make sense
is Joe Flacco. He played the previous 2 seasons in Mike La Fleur's offense, which isn't too far off from MLF.

If you're going to hire an old dog, don't bother teaching him new tricks

https://overthecap.com/player/joe-flacco/1383

Cheeep and available

TBLS is also available, but I think he comes up short in the mentor dept

Season has been over for 3 months and there have been a few changes

But I did want to share the Sagarin Ratings from season-end.
Shows the Packers at #8 in the league and that's fairly consistent across all 3 betting methods on the site - Predictor, Golden Mean and Recent.

I like the feature where they show a teams' performance vs Top 10 in the league and Top 16 too. SB teams KC and Eagles both had winning records vs the top 10 teams but KC had more games

They also rank divisions, NFC North came in at # 6 of 8

http://sagarin.com/sports/nflsend.htm

MLF with some comments on Devante Wyatt coming into 2023

https://packerswire.usatoday.c...from-devonte-wyatt/?

“It’s going to be a big year in terms of just the understanding of the game and reading keys. That helps you play the position a lot better,” LaFleur said.

La Fleur pointed to a better understanding of “tips and tells” from the opposing offensive line as a vital part of Wyatt’s development in Year 2. An interior defender can play faster and be more disruptive when the player quickly and accurately processes what they are seeing pre-snap and immediately post-snap. It’s on Wyatt to prove he’s up to the task, especially as a first-rounder who is playing such an important position along the line of scrimmage."

Many of these Big Guys won in college by being the biggest, bad ass on the field. When they get to the Pro's then its all about technique and becoming a master of your art. Good luck to Wyatt, he's shown flashes.

@Satori posted:

MLF with some comments on Devante Wyatt coming into 2023

https://packerswire.usatoday.c...from-devonte-wyatt/?

“It’s going to be a big year in terms of just the understanding of the game and reading keys. That helps you play the position a lot better,” LaFleur said.

La Fleur pointed to a better understanding of “tips and tells” from the opposing offensive line as a vital part of Wyatt’s development in Year 2. An interior defender can play faster and be more disruptive when the player quickly and accurately processes what they are seeing pre-snap and immediately post-snap. It’s on Wyatt to prove he’s up to the task, especially as a first-rounder who is playing such an important position along the line of scrimmage."

Many of these Big Guys won in college by being the biggest, bad ass on the field. When they get to the Pro's then its all about technique and becoming a master of your art. Good luck to Wyatt, he's shown flashes.

One of the most athletic interior DL ever at the combineâ€Ķthe foundation is there.

@DocBenni posted:

My insider info is telling me that Mason Crosby will not be back the team this year.  His house is, or will be, up for sale.  My understanding is that the Packers are not willing meet his salary demands.  Not that this is earth shattering news, but it is only one person removed from the source.

It's time to move on from Mason. I appreciate everything he has done for the Packers but he has trouble kicking the ball through the end zone, on kick offs. While our kick return STs weren't great, an opponent's returner could almost always get good field position for his team on a return of a Mason Crosby kick off. He sure was solid for us on FGs, though. Many issues, on FGs, came from the LS or the Linemen not blocking the opponent coming in to disrupt the FG attempt.

@El-Ka-Bong posted:

I wonder what the market for Mason is that money is an issue.  I’m fine bringing him back, but I can’t see it being a big contract or there being a lot of competition to drive the price up.

Agreed. A large part of his value is his experience kicking in cold weather in Lambeau Field. Perhaps kicking in Soldier Field would be a benefit relative to others as well. Outside of the Packers and maybe the Bears, I can't see anyone else that would be interested in meeting a larger salary demand.

Crosby was making over $4m/year, around what a top 10 kicker makes.  If you are chasing a Super Bowl or every win in meaningful to keeping your job as GM then he is worth it. It didn't hurt that he was one of Aaron's "guys".  They can easily save over $3m going with a rookie and possibly find their next kicker for 15 years.

IMO, Gute is only going to put any money or draft picks into personnel that can help Love succeed (or make him look better).

@Iowacheese posted:

Bring in Robbie Goldieya

With Gould on the market and a very similar PK I don't think teams will be lining up to sign Crosby. Plus the Packers will have more patience if he gets off to a bad start. Once he signs with someone else he is just like any other PK, a couple bad weeks and you could be on the street. He should take whatever he can get from the Packers to stay in GB.

Crosby was making over $4m/year, around what a top 10 kicker makes.  They can easily save over $3m going with a rookie and possibly find their next kicker for 15 years.

Its the right move, but its not easy finding the next 15 yr kicker.
Just look at the lesser teams like bears/vikes and they've cycled through a handful of crappy kickers - some costing them critical games.

But the huge reason to do it now - is Bisaccia. That's who you want working with the new guy and its a fair guess Rich is gonna be an HC some day. So make the transition now, save the $$ as you noted -  and put the best ST coach around on the case.

@mrtundra posted:

It's time to move on from Mason. I appreciate everything he has done for the Packers but he has trouble kicking the ball through the end zone, on kick offs. While our kick return STs weren't great, an opponent's returner could almost always get good field position for his team on a return of a Mason Crosby kick off.

Agreed, It. Is. Time.

However, the rest is an oft-repeated misnomer. Crosby did have strength issues post- injury, Gute talked about it recently. However, many of the "short" kickoffs were by design. Teams don't want to just hand the ball over at the 25 yd line.
And the analytics back this up in terms of value.

So why kick  short ?

Returner can be tackled short of the 25
Return team fumble
Return team penalty-  happens with great frequency
Longer drives have lower success rate, even 5 yds matters

ST coaches need the short kick in their quiver. Same with blasting it out of the EZ - there's a time and place for it, but its not the best call every single time.

Some of the best kickoffs are the ones that land from the 2 yd line to 3 yds deep in the EZ.  The returner has to wait and make a tough decision at the very last moment -  that hesitation can limit his return efforts.

When we watch the game, we see the kickoff landing short and some say the kicker sucks. In reality - he was doing exactly what his coach told him.

Onward we go

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.