Skip to main content

@The Grinder posted:

All that said again, we all are happy how Adams turned out and just hope and pray that Watson can make us just as proud.  Wearing my Green and Gold glasses today !

Agreed. I don’t think Watson will ever be the type of WR that will catch 90 balls in a season.  But I do think he could be a guy that catches 65-70 balls for 1000+ yards and gets another 50-100 yards on reverse handoffs.

Watson needs some work to be sure, his hands and ability to catch contested balls were below average as a rookie, needs to get both those traits closer to average to take the next step.

@DH13 posted:

Look a little harder.   Straight line speed won't be getting him open as often as it did in that streak.  Are you seriously saying Watson showed more skill as a rookie than Adams?  Chuckle.  And saying Watson was their best WR by years end doesn't really mean much considering that group. What happened to him in the last 2 weeks?

Watson is going to be a killer in this league. You are discrediting him for not being Devante Adam’s, but Watson does some things that Adam couldn’t dream of doing. They are different types of receivers.

I think Romeo Doubs is making a case to be WR1. Watson is really good but will be used in different situations, such as sweeps, more than Doubs would be. I do not think there will be a 1000 yard receiver in this group, right now, just because there are a lot of WRs and ball catchers on the squad. Once the team is down to its 53 man squad, we will see who might get 1000 yards, this season, if anyone does. Watson would be my pick for that, just for his ability to stretch the field and get behind the defenders. Doubs and Reed will get their shots as will some of the rookies, like Wicks and Dubose and also with the UDFAs in Heath and Watts. All will be competing for being the target of Love with Musgrave and Kraft and Jones and Dillon, not to mention Cotton and Melton. Training camp position battles should be very interesting. Just catch the ball, move the chains and score when you can. Nothing to it!

Last edited by mrtundra
@FLPACKER posted:

Last game vs. Lions, with Jets loss second. Losing to teams that you have more talent than, especially at home, when you can go to the playoffs, is a real strike vs. MLF.

MLF seems to have the team unprepared when it matters most. A little bit of Marty Shottenheimer so far with the impressive regular season record but not coming through in the playoffs when it matters most. I realize the Detroit game last year wasn't a playoff game but it was still a do or die type of game.

I'm not willing to put that on MLF.  That game felt more on Rodgers than on MLF.  I remember getting the same feeling from Rodgers that game as I got from Favre against the Giants - just a lack of emotion in playing in the game, like they just didn't want to be there.  That it ended on an awful pick by Rodgers kind of validates it - he just wanted the season to end. 

I don't believe we've actually seen the MLF offense.  I think he put his offense in place, and adjusted for what Rodgers likes.  Then Rodgers played like he wanted on the field.  I think we'll see Love do exactly what MLF wants him to do and it's going to look like what Shanahan does in San Fran. 

@CUPackFan posted:

I'm not willing to put that on MLF.  That game felt more on Rodgers than on MLF.  I remember getting the same feeling from Rodgers that game as I got from Favre against the Giants - just a lack of emotion in playing in the game, like they just didn't want to be there.  That it ended on an awful pick by Rodgers kind of validates it - he just wanted the season to end.

I don't believe we've actually seen the MLF offense.  I think he put his offense in place, and adjusted for what Rodgers likes.  Then Rodgers played like he wanted on the field.  I think we'll see Love do exactly what MLF wants him to do and it's going to look like what Shanahan does in San Fran.

THIS! That's why I believe Love is gonna have a great season, because he's not gonna play hero ball. He's gonna work MLF's offense and what Shanahan does in SF shows when he can take a Mr. Irrelevant and make it all work.

@CUPackFan posted:

I mostly agree with this, except I have to say that the defense didn't play as well as it had before. The penalty on Walker didn't help either. But to look at Rodgers' games from last year, when he played his best was when he was invested and enthusiastic; I really noticed it in the Dallas game. Revenge can be a great motivator, but Rodgers was running down the field, talking it up, etc. He played and led the team like an MVP.

Against Detroit, it was cold, he didn't want to be there, and he had no enthusiasm. His attitude was "I am so done with this Frozen Tundra s***." Most of the time last year he was going through the motions, but against Detroit he didn't even bother to do that. He could have played a lot better, but it was clear that he didn't really want to.

MLF will run more shotgun than Shanny Jr runs...just a gut feeling I have.

Until the rookie TE can do what they are supposed to consistently, we won't have anything resembling a fully formed George Kittle...which is a big reason Jr's offenses are so effective. But we've also got #33 who I would take any day over McCaffrey. No, we don't have a Deebo, but they don't have a Watson either.

Great coaches figure out how to get the most out of what they have. Having a HOF QB isn't a prerequisite to win football games.

As long as the defense doesn't shit the bed, and the OL doesn't get 10 beat to hell, this team is perfectly capable of getting to the playoffs with the QB and weapons and play calling we have. #HotTake

@Chongo posted:

MLF will run more shotgun than Shanny Jr runs...just a gut feeling I have.

Until the rookie TE can do what they are supposed to consistently, we won't have anything resembling a fully formed George Kittle...which is a big reason Jr's offenses are so effective. But we've also got #33 who I would take any day over McCaffrey. No, we don't have a Deebo, but they don't have a Watson either.

Great coaches figure out how to get the most out of what they have. Having a HOF QB isn't a prerequisite to win football games.

As long as the defense doesn't shit the bed, and the OL doesn't get 10 beat to hell, this team is perfectly capable of getting to the playoffs with the QB and weapons and play calling we have. #HotTake

I hope we run more plays from under Center than from the Shotgun. Just so we can help our RBs to get some momentum going, when they hit the LOS.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.