Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I really didn't get too upset at the loss. I had to get up early the next day and being in the eastern time zone I turned the game off at the Jones fumble and recorded the rest. After seeing the bonehead plays by Douglas, Reed and Walker, I am more pissed and embarrassed as a Packer fan than am upset at the loss. And Matty Schottenheimer has got one more chance with me and then he's done

Last edited by Packiderm

I didn't take me long to get over this loss. Why? because sadly over the last decade this team has figured out the ways to rip our hearts out in big spots and I have just gotten used to it.   Am I mad at first sure but at the same time I just kind of shake my head and say here we go again.   I was more upset with myself that I kept drinking until the end and had to get up at 5 am.

As they say you can take the boy out of Wisconsin but you can't take Wisconsin out of the boy.

Last edited by The Heckler

I thought they would lose to the Queens the week before and that they would beat the Lions in a close one and then get blown out by SF. I'm thrilled that they beat the Queens but wasn't expecting them to do anything in the playoffs so the loss isn't too hard to get past. I'm more concerned with a potential dismal future with MLF and Barry than I am about the loss keeping us out of the playoffs this year.

Last edited by 13X
@Blair Kiel posted:

Honest question.

How long did it take for you to be over the loss?

I was fine upon waking the next day.

I was fine during the 4th quarter. After Quay Walker's idiocy, I told my kids that rooting for this team this year was often embarrassing. And the Niners were going to absolutely beat the crap out of them anyway.

On the scale of the Packers' disappointments, I'd list the following. The top 4 are things I still get upset about (at least on the level of a meaningless thing like sports relative to real life). The Packers were the better team in all 4 of those and dominated games they lost because of mistakes, not because the other team was superior.

1. 10/10 on the scale. The NFC title game loss at Seattle. Dominate for 55 minutes and still lose.

2 (tie). 9.9/10. The Favre OT interception in the NFC title game vs. the Giants. The better team lost.

3 (tie). 9.9/10. 4th and 26. Dominate the entire game, but still lose.

4. 9.8/10. The Jerry Rice fumble game against the Niners in 1998 postseason - that was more about the officiating though.

5. 7/10. The loss to the Niners last year because of special teams ineptitude. It was infuriating, but I felt they got what they deserved.

6. 6.5/10. The loss to the Broncos in the 1998 Super Bowl. Disappointing, but the Broncos deserved to win.

7. 6/10. The 15-1 team losing to the Giants. Huge disappointment to end a 15-1 season, but the game was never close in the second half.

8. 5/10. The Kaepernick game. Just total idiocy in terms of defensive scheme and lack of adjustments.

9. 4/10. The OT losses to Arizona in 2009 and 2015. Packers were lucky to be in those games, but it would have been nice to steal one.

Last edited by MichiganPacker
@ammo posted:

It is being reported Mason Crosby wants to return.  Except for kick-off depth he is as money as they come.   If they keep O'Donnell maybe he can do kick-offs.  Or get a punter who can.

He’s not money past about the 48 yard line. Nor when temps start to dive. Love Mason and all he’s done as a Packer. But they need new, young blood with a stronger leg and a much cheaper cap hit.

One that really hurts for for me is the 2020 NFC championship in GB against TP.

They finally get that game at home, intercept Brady three times in a row, were up 28-23 and choked it away.

A lot went wrong that day but I lay a lot of the blame on this one on Kevin King .  He gives up the first TD, that long TD right before the half and then the crushing penalty at the end.

Dang I need to stay away from this thread freaking heart wrenching.

@packerboi posted:

He’s not money past about the 48 yard line. Nor when temps start to dive. Love Mason and all he’s done as a Packer. But they need new, young blood with a stronger leg and a much cheaper cap hit.

I'm willing to let  Rich Bisaccia  decide what he wants to do with the kicker position.  If Mason will sign a team friendly 1 year deal  why not bring him back.  They could always cut him before the season starts so no money is guaranteed and yet bring him back if a new guy sucks. 

@ByRyanWood:  GM Brian Gutekunst thinks Aaron Rodgers still played at "very high level" this season, despite lack of production. He says team "made a very big commitment" to him last offseason and indicates Rodgers gives team better chance to win next season than Jordan Love.

Brian Gutekunst says he expects Aaron Rodgers to "take some time" to decide if he wants to return in 2023. He understands it will take Rodgers some time to decide. "I really respect the process he goes through after the season."

Brian Gutekunst says he can see Aaron Rodgers and Jordan Love both on roster next year, even if it would be Love's 4th year as backup: "I definitely think he's ready to play, he's chomping at the bit, but at the same time we're going to do what's best for the Green Bay #Packers."

Brian Gutekunst asked if he could look Aaron Rodgers in the eye and tell him #Packers are ready to move on: "If we get to that point, it's just we're not at that point."

Asked Brian Gutekunst if David Bakhtiari will be #Packers left tackle next season: "I would hope so. We're hopeful he's kind of cleared some of those injury hurdles." He says Bakhtiari got into a "good rhythm" late in season with how to practice to be ready for games.

Brian Gutekunst says #Packers coaching staff decisions are Matt LaFleur's to make. He'll support whatever he decides. Gutekunst believes coaching staff deserves "a lot of credit" for 4-game winning streak that gave team a shot at making playoffs.

Brian Gutekunst says he expects Aaron Jones to return next season: "He's a dynamic player."

@TomSilverstein:  GM Brian Gutekunst said he wants everybody back. When asked if he wants Rodgers back, he said they will work with him to see what he wants to do. "He's going to take his time and the communication will be constant," Gutekunst said.

Gutekunst, asked if the #Packers would have to shed cap or re-do deals if Rodgers decides to come back, said they would probably have to do that no matter what.

Last edited by ilcuqui
@ilcuqui posted:

Brian Gutekunst says #Packers coaching staff decisions are Matt LaFleur's to make. He'll support whatever he decides. Gutekunst believes coaching staff deserves "a lot of credit" for 4-game winning streak that gave team a shot at making playoffs.

@TomSilverstein:  GM Brian Gutekunst said he wants everybody back. When asked if he wants Rodgers back, he said they will work with him to see what he wants to do. "He's going to take his time and the communication will be constant," Gutekunst said.

Who could have seen this coming . . .

@NumberThree posted:

We can win out and are still sub-35% to make the playoffs. The amount of help needed to get in makes it effectively impossible--especially now that the Seahawks won today.

This means that the Packers will win out, screw up their draft position, not fire any coaches, keep most of the same personnel, and come back with the same system next year minus a 1 or 2 high salary cap players because: "We saw a lot of promise at the end of the season with what this group can do, and we're going to go in strong this (2023) year with those same guys."

Last edited by NumberThree

Regardless of the streak, it is clear there are significant scheme issues with the defense with players either not understanding their role or incapable of making plays. This falls on the DC and he needs to be done. If they are serious about making a significant leap next year on a seemingly "easy" schedule, they need to prolific FA WR, a new DC, some help on the OL, and a fast ILB to help the secondary.

There's no reason not to have at least 10 wins next year and be a legitimate contender for the 1-3 seed in the Playoffs.

@NumberThree posted:

Regardless of the streak, it is clear there are significant scheme issues with the defense with players either not understanding their role or incapable of making plays. This falls on the DC and he needs to be done. If they are serious about making a significant leap next year on a seemingly "easy" schedule, they need to prolific FA WR, a new DC, some help on the OL, and a fast ILB to help the secondary.

There's no reason not to have at least 10 wins next year and be a legitimate contender for the 1-3 seed in the Playoffs.

I think the future at WR in GB, regardless of the QB, is going to be Watson and Doubs.  My guess is they'll draft another young guy and maybe bring in a mid-tier FA there.  

A new DC isn't happening.

Its relatively easy to find OL help in the draft in the mid to late rounds if need be.

Upgrade at ILB?  Over Campbell and Walker?

@Pakrz posted:

I think the future at WR in GB, regardless of the QB, is going to be Watson and Doubs.  My guess is they'll draft another young guy and maybe bring in a mid-tier FA there.  

A new DC isn't happening.

Its relatively easy to find OL help in the draft in the mid to late rounds if need be.

Keeping Barry is such a buzzkill and it feels like we are already very limited going into next season due to our DC.

In theory I agree with you on finding OL later in the draft but Gute has spent a ton of picks on OL and only a couple have really worked out. Tom looks to be a steal and so was Bak way back when. Jenkins is a stud but was drafted in round 2. Myers (R2) is below average. Newman (R4) is terrible and Runyan (R6) had a really rough year. There have been quite a few others that didn't work out (Hanson, Cole Madison, Sean Ryhan so far, Van Lanen, Stepaniak, etc.). It seems like we are drafting 2-3 OL every year and yet the position group was an issue much of the year.  Granted Bak and Jenkins coming off of major injuries was a big part of that early in the year but as a group they still struggled much of the season.

@ilcuqui posted:

@ByRyanWood:

Brian Gutekunst says he can see Aaron Rodgers and Jordan Love both on roster next year, even if it would be Love's 4th year as backup: "I definitely think he's ready to play, he's chomping at the bit, but at the same time we're going to do what's best for the Green Bay #Packers."

If AR is back next season, I wouldn’t blame Love one bit if he decided to ask for a trade and become a distraction if Gute said no.

@YATittle posted:

Gute is no fool. Of course he's going to say these things, doesn't mean it's all what he really believes.

I hope not.

I agree that Gute is no fool and he learned from the best on keeping a poker face and not saying much.  As for the pressers I kind of think of GM and HC pressers as political speak.  They aren't going to tip their hand right now for what their plans may be and they aren't going to say much at this point and honestly if I am in their shoes I wouldn't say shit.

Right now they are probably still in the initial phase for evaluating the coaches, conducting exit interviews, deciding what to do with the roster.

@The Heckler posted:

I agree that Gute is no fool and he learned from the best on keeping a poker face and not saying much.  As for the pressers I kind of think of GM and HC pressers as political speak.

MLF says the right things, but he also at times lets his emotion or facial expressions do some of the talking, something Gute doesn't do.

For example when MLF was told that Rodgers didn't like the playcalls of the final series he said the right thing in that "it comes back to communication throughout the game and telling him exactly what I'm thinking in those situations".  Which sounds good, but you could tell he was pretty miffed to hear that Rodgers didn't like the playcalls and that AR complained to the media about it.  MLF isn't able to hide his feelings as well as Gute if you pay close attention.

@Pakrz posted:

I think the future at WR in GB, regardless of the QB, is going to be Watson and Doubs.

Then they're fucked, regardless of who the QB is.

Yeah, the line was iffy this year, but you know what else caused issues in close and short yardage? Not having a receiver with a lick of talent who can fight in traffic and reliably beat his man for a short reception.

Think Rodgers shouldn't be playing "Hero Ball"? Gutekunst drafted "Hero Ball" receivers: deep threats, and trouble in heavy traffic. Highlight films and fantasy players will be happy, I guess, but they don't have a "dirty work" receiver. 

@R MaN posted:

1. Do they work a deal with Amos?

2. What are the organizations thoughts on Gary given the acl?

I think they'd like to move on from Amos, but I'm not sure they have the resources to. That was part of the price to move up for Watson rather than staying put and taking Pierce or Pickens.

Bryan Cook (Chiefs), JT Woods (Chargers) as well as starting OTs Nicholas Petit-Frere (Titans)  and Abraham Lucas (Seahawks) went shortly after pick #59.

And the Packers still needed offensive line help, so Fredokunst took Sean Rhyan in the third, just ahead of Nick Cross (Colts) and some kid named Kerby Joseph (Lions).

Last edited by Herschel

I hate to say this, but I think Myers regressed noticeably this year (and Runyan didn't seem to progress either, tbf).  Was it a "Sophomore slump", a coaching issue or is there just a hole in his game?

On the plus side, in two of the three it's fixable, but on the down side, with the way they hold possibly crappy coaches, in two of the three it has a good chance not to.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.