Skip to main content

I'm glad they banned the hip-drop. Man, when the tacklers landed on the backs of the legs of a ballcarrier, it almost always ended badly. I don't mind it if they don't land on or cut the legs out from under a guy sideways with a hip-drop (and I've seen where they can do that), but it's really dangerous to hip-drop a guy from behind. And I agree  it's getting really hard to play D in the NFL. 

@Timmy! posted:

Thumbs down to this new rule/penalty, not you personally.

It's hard to not acknowledge the 'intent', player safety, blah, blah, blah.
I just see it as something that will be called wildly inconsistent as are RTP, PI, or other calls that are subject to a refs interpretation.

In any case, we all ("me") had better learn to recognize these tackles, and how  they are called. The coaches better get a handle on this ASAP. Ditto the players.

Giving the zebras another excuse to fuck things up.

@Fandame posted:

I'm glad they banned the hip-drop. Man, when the tacklers landed on the backs of the legs of a ballcarrier, it almost always ended badly. I don't mind it if they don't land on or cut the legs out from under a guy sideways with a hip-drop (and I've seen where they can do that), but it's really dangerous to hip-drop a guy from behind. And I agree  it's getting really hard to play D in the NFL.

I agree. They did a good thing cutting that off before it went wild. It's a highly effective technique. It was a matter of time before it was adopted league wide by DBs. In the spirit of balance though I think they should police the playclock on the offense stricter. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but there was a time when 0 was 0 and the flag was thrown. There seems to be a lot of leeway with intentional grounding as well.

@titmfatied posted:

I agree. They did a good thing cutting that off before it went wild. It's a highly effective technique. It was a matter of time before it was adopted league wide by DBs. In the spirit of balance though I think they should police the playclock on the offense stricter. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but there was a time when 0 was 0 and the flag was thrown. There seems to be a lot of leeway with intentional grounding as well.

Put a vibrator in the umpires pocket.

I see the #12 topic thread is closed so thought I could post this here:

New York Jets star quarterback Aaron Rodgers unfortunately only played four snaps last season before rupturing his Achilles tendon. This led to Rodgers taking a laughably low amount of performance-based pay last season which he likely wishes he never even received.

Every player who steps onto the field earns a certain amount of performance-based pay from the NFL. The system itself is in place to reward players who may be on a lower salary, but played quite frequently for their respective team.

Naturally, you would expect that Rodgers’ performance-based pay would have been very low considering he only play four snaps on the year.

But the figures are actually quite laughable, as nearly every American working a 9-5 job likely received more money in a single day of work than Rodgers did in the entire season off of his performance-based pay alone.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Rodgers received $81.14 through the league’s performance-based pay system, which is the lowest of any NFL player last season.    

Packers can’t possibly go into training camp relying on only the draft to fill Inside Linebacker and Safety, right? They have virtually no depth there other than a few unproven youngsters. I think Gute has to get a low costing vet or two, right.

i don’t think he goes for another splash signing. I’m thinking more of a1-year “prove it” deal for a vet or two. Couple of available guys who might be cheap:

Shaq Leonard, Kwon Alexander, Zach Cunningham, Troy Reader all might go for one year deals.

Any other?  What about Safety?

Last edited by PackLandVA

Packers announce they have signed offensive tackle Andre Dillard, a former first round selection for the Eagles.

@TomSilverstein:  The #Packers announced they have signed T Andre Dillard, a former 1st round pick of the #Eagles in '19. After 4 years there, he played with the #Titans in '23. He's a potential replacement for Yosh Nijman, who they let go in free agency, and depth if they don't draft a T early.

@SharpFootball:

Andre Dillard was a massive liability for the Titans O-Line last year

he ranked dead last of 38 left tackles in pressure rate allowed and gave up the NFL's most sacks

collectively, the Titans ranked #30 in pressure rate allowed

and the OL allowed contact at/behind the line on 49% of RB carries, ranking #26

Last edited by ilcuqui

Dillard had a RAS of 9.79

NextGen Stats ranked him 2nd among Tackles in "Production Score" and 1st in "Athleticism" and "Total Score" from the 2019 Combine, He was labeled as a Year 1 Starter.

No pick in the First Round (or any round for that matter) is a guarantee.

"he ranked dead last of 38 left tackles in pressure rate allowed and gave up the NFL's most sacks"

Yikes.   Must have seen something they liked or is he a camp body in case a T can't be found in the draft?

@H5 posted:

IIRC GB was interested in him in '19.

Here's some cut-ups showing plus and minus plays from Dillard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tl4-xc-lQA

One thing I'll note is that a lot of his ( many)  whiffs in pass pro come when he shoots his hands first and misses. That's not uncommon. The Packers OL coaches teach their guys to hold their water -  and let the DL shoot their hands first. There's pro's and cons to each tactic, but if you watch the GB OL, they are mostly " catching" in pass pro vs jabbing the DL's chest right away.

Catching leads to fewer whiffs, but you pay the price in a slightly more chaotic pocket. If the OL shoots first, he establishes the battlefield  farther away from the QB. If he catches, the pocket's a wee bit tighter.

Which is a long-winded way of saying there's a chance Dillard won't totally and completely suck under Butkus' tutelage.

Last edited by Satori

Most shocking thing about Dillard was the contract the Titans gave him after his stint with the Eagles. No issue at all with the team kicking the tires of a guy they liked coming out (I'm assuming the contract is very favorable).

Absolutely no downside to the move.

@Floridarob posted:

Its taking forever to load times four. Is it me? Anybody else having an issue. Been happening the past few hours. Only site that is doing it.

Same problem here. All other sites loading normally

Probably chinese hackers from Bejing.  They are probably doing their preliminary practice run now and going to completely hack us tonight when the draft is going on. Now that is defintely a shot across the bow. Nuke em!

I was just going to PM you Boss when I saw this.  I use Opera mostly, it takes 15 - 20 seconds for a thread to load.  When I go back and click on unread post it takes longer.  Been running slower and slower for a couple of days for me.  I thought it was my provider, guess not.   I also tried Firefox and it was even slower. Took over a minute for a page to load.

If Enagbare did not tear an ACL, that helps explain why Gute ignored edge during the draft. My guess is he will pick up either a veteran at cutdowns or sign a UDFA or two as insurance. They said Enagbare is trying to rehab it and they hope he doesn't need surgery, but when was the last time that has worked? It always seems like just doing the rehab leaves a guy open to re-injury or he never sees the field as they have to do surgery anyway and now it's late.

Last edited by Fandame

^^^^ but if it's not a full tear, I don't know that surgery is really to route to go.  Given the history of being very (overly) cautious, I'd imagine the medical staff/surgeon recommended no surgery (obviously).

I would imagine it's not a terrible tear or even 50%. But when you hear Gute say they're trying rehab and "hopefully" they won't have to do surgery, I see little red flags. The picture of him doing drills looked pretty good at least.

@mattschneidman:   Packers rookie minicamp will be this Friday and Saturday. Open locker room, practice viewing and LaFluer at the podium on Friday.

@AndyHermanNFL: Packers rookie minicamp will be 3:15pm this Friday and Saturday. Coach will talk after practice on Friday.

Last edited by ilcuqui

@AaronNagler:   In addition to rookie minicamp this weekend, the Packers OTA Offseason Workouts are scheduled for May 20-21, May 23, May 28-29, May 31, June 3-4, and June 6th. Mandatory Minicamp is June 11-13th. 

Yeah but they're starting him at LT according to MLF and Gutey.

It'll be awesome if he plays great but Rasheed plays even better and hangs onto the starting LT.

Just don't ruin Rasheed. I hope they both can make the transition to IOL if necessary.

@Chongo posted:

So the question is do they move AJ Dillon to FB, or keep him at RB and cut Emmanuel Wilson?

I think they hope he fills Dequra role.  Whatever position you want to call that.   Half TE and half FB.     

Wouldn't be surprised if they have all 3 of Jacobs, Lloyd, and Dillon active on game days.   Especially if AJ embraces special teams and everything we know about him points to him embracing it.

Jersey numbers for the Packers’ rookie draft class:

Jordan Morgan: 77
Edgerrin Cooper: 56
Javon Bullard: 20
Marshawn Lloyd: 32
Ty’Ron Hopper: 59
Evan Williams: 33
Jacob Monk: 62
Kitan Oladapo: 27
Travis Glover: 79
Michael Pratt: 17
Kalen King: 34

@ilcuqui posted:

Jordan Morgan: 77 - Don't be a Mandarich!
Edgerrin Cooper: 56 - Lets hope he's as good as Nick Barnett!
Javon Bullard: 20 - Forever Kevin King!
Marshawn Lloyd: 32 - Because 0 wasn't available.
Ty’Ron Hopper: 59 - Campbell's number!
Evan Williams: 33 - William Henderson of the Defense!

I was going to post something about Nick Barnett too. I hope he's better than Barnett. I'm hoping like Roquan (or Fred Warner) good at a minimum.

I have higher hopes for EdgeCoop than I do for Quay

Last edited by Boris
@ilcuqui posted:

Jordan Morgan: 77 - Don't be a Mandarich!
Edgerrin Cooper: 56 - Lets hope he's as good as Nick Barnett!
Javon Bullard: 20 - Forever Kevin King!
Marshawn Lloyd: 32 - Because 0 wasn't available. Reggie Cobb thinks you're a dick.
Ty’Ron Hopper: 59 - Campbell's number!
Evan Williams: 33 - William Henderson of the Defense!

Has it already been mentioned that LaFleur tore a pec while weightlifting just before the draft? I guess he recently had surgery to repair it. Cant use his left arm for awhile until it heals up a bit.

@Timmy! posted:

If the Packers were at 90 players a day or two ago, and these last 2-3 guys have signed a contract since, shouldn't there e a corresponding release

There should be. Assuming these players did sign, Packers don’t need to announce the + / - transactions until 4:00 PM EST Monday (league offices closed over the weekend).

@ilcuqui posted:

There should be. Assuming these players did sign, Packers don’t need to announce the + / - transactions until 4:00 PM EST Monday (league offices closed over the weekend).

They have a foreign player that doesn't count against the ninety and Campbell doesn't count as he comes off on June 1st.

Best 5 play boys & girls....Best 5 play.

The backup spot for Ryan could be Rasheed Walker...or Rasheed might play RG better than Rhyan and Rhyan is the backup.

Lots to unpack during Training Camp.

@Boris posted:

Best 5 play boys & girls....Best 5 play.

The backup spot for Ryan could be Rasheed Walker...or Rasheed might play RG better than Rhyan and Rhyan is the backup.

Lots to unpack during Training Camp.

I would say, with regard to the O-line, the 6-7 play. At least based on last season. Rotation, rotation, rotation to keep 'em fresh.

@Timmy! posted:

If the Packers were at 90 players a day or two ago, and these last 2-3 guys have signed a contract since, shouldn't there be a corresponding release

As predicted, announced COB today:

Packers announced these moves:

Signed: WR Julian Hicks, WR Dimitri Stanley, OL Lecitus Smith

Released: CB Anthony Johnson, DL Deandre Johnson

Waived/injured: WR Thyrick Pitts

Nope....Anthony Johnson. Who bounced from the Saints PS to the Packers and never got in any NFL games but still got some money.

I would really like this job 😃

@Boris posted:

Nope....Anthony Johnson. Who bounced from the Saints PS to the Packers and never got in any NFL games but still got some money.

And all the food he could eat.

@Boris posted:

So who did you steal that history from?   

Coaches + players for the 2024 season are pretty much set after FA and the draft are completed.

Who/What is this team missing ?
Which position would you invest in a veteran to fill out the room ?

Mine ?  J.J. Watt

He can still bring it as a rotational DL, but even more for what he offers to a young team going on a run. I feel like this defense has plenty of talent and the coaching to get the most out of them...but they need another leader and Watt fits that role.

JJ recently told HC DeMeco Ryans he's ready to join the Texans if needed...maybe he'd consider a dream scenario in Titletown to close out his HOF career in style ?

What's your call for the missing piece ? Lots of vets available

LB or Safety seems to be a need. Of the two, seems like MLB is the most pressing. The have Quay, a 2nd Rounder, McDuffie (smallish), Wilson (STer), Welch, and a couple of other rookies. Thin availability in FA, but it would be good to get another veteran presence in there, even if just for camp.

Lol...a couple of other rookies at LB?  Very good chance Edge is starting day 1...Gute also did not use pick 91 on Hopper to see him ride pine.  While LB may be the most inexperienced group, lots of vets in the DL and the best FA safety is patrolling the back end.  Pretty sure the LBs will be ok - especially since the base defense will only be playing 3 LBs (and often will be only 2).

Lol...a couple of other rookies at LB?  Very good chance Edge is starting day 1...Gute also did not use pick 91 on Hopper to see him ride pine.  While LB may be the most inexperienced group, lots of vets in the DL and the best FA safety is patrolling the back end.  Pretty sure the LBs will be ok - especially since the base defense will only be playing 3 LBs (and often will be only 2).

The question I was answering was from Satori: Which position would you invest in a veteran to fill out the room ?

I'm not suggesting they need a starter.  I specifically mentioned Quay and a "2nd Rounder" (read - Cooper), then McDuffie, Wilson, Welch, "and a couple of other rookies".

My suggestion was a veteran to fill out the room, not necessarily start. I love the pick of Cooper. But I don't think it's a given he will step in and be a starter, let alone an impact player from day 1. Quay was a 1st Round pick and had growing pains. Heck, Jordan Morgan is a 1st Rounder and there's talk that he may start out as a Guard or first rotational swing player to start the season.

Anyway, I think it would be great if the team could get another veteran in the LB room, "even if just for camp", as a safety net. Make those rookies all earn their positions as opposed to default.

PLVA - didn't mean for my comment to come across as attacking - just would hate to see a veteran player come in and take away snaps from the youngsters.  Listened to an interview today with the voice of Packers radio, Wayne Larrivee, and he believes the Packers defense will be 4-2-5 like 70-80% of the time - he even said he wouldn't be surprised if the "green dot" is a safety (presumably McKinney).

BTW, I'm firmly in the Watt camp with Satori. 

PLVA - didn't mean for my comment to come across as attacking - just would hate to see a veteran player come in and take away snaps from the youngsters.  Listened to an interview today with the voice of Packers radio, Wayne Larrivee, and he believes the Packers defense will be 4-2-5 like 70-80% of the time - he even said he wouldn't be surprised if the "green dot" is a safety (presumably McKinney).

BTW, I'm firmly in the Watt camp with Satori.

Celebrity gf. Wearing red boxing gloves, musician Mr. Paradise puts up his fists and bobs, raising his chin as he says, “Let’s Go.”

@Satori posted:

Sir Charles is 48...not gonna be much help on the field.

Anybody in the sub-37 yrs category you'd like to add ?

I guess I should have added the  . I didn't think it would be necessary. But I sure would like someone with the leadership, drive, and moxie of Sir Charles.

WTF?!? Landing Zone. ST coaches are gonna hate this stuff, dealing with so many barely literate ST players. Some of whom finally figured out what a football is, now have to figure out landing zone stuff.

So you are familiar with many NFL ST players reading test scores? Seems like pretty specific information for someone to have access to. Or are you making a general assumption based on some experience you've had?

Sam Robinson at ProFootballRumors put together a pretty detailed summary and review of the Packers 2024 offseason to date. Haven't read it all, but they get bonus points for being thorough

A lot transpired over these last few months in Titletown...

https://www.profootballrumors....-green-bay-packers-5

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.