Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Music City posted:

My introduction to Bucks Basketball was with Jim Irwin in the 80s. The early 80s teams were of course cursed by the Philly/Boston machine- they could always get by one but never both. Sir Sid was my guy, and #4 was my number (and Paul Molitor). 

I don't remember the 70's Bucks teams and like Music said my introduction to Bucks basketball where those 80's teams.  It seemed like every year they were playing a game 7 against Philly or Boston and just couldnt quite get over the hump.  They sure were fun teams to watch though.

The Heckler posted:
Music City posted:

My introduction to Bucks Basketball was with Jim Irwin in the 80s. The early 80s teams were of course cursed by the Philly/Boston machine- they could always get by one but never both. Sir Sid was my guy, and #4 was my number (and Paul Molitor). 

I don't remember the 70's Bucks teams and like Music said my introduction to Bucks basketball where those 80's teams.  It seemed like every year they were playing a game 7 against Philly or Boston and just couldnt quite get over the hump.  They sure were fun teams to watch though.

I remember the year (1982) the Bucks SWEPT the Larry Bird Celtics.  That was incredible.  But, then they had to play the Malone 76'ers.  Fo fo fo changed to fo fi fo with Bucks winning one game though the first game in Philly was only a 2 point OT loss.

How could any team have to beat Celtics, 6'ers, and Lakers in back to back to back 7 game series?

And yeah, I sure remember the 71 team.

I was about to turn 2 years old when the Bucks won in '70-'71 so my memories of it are zilch.  I did begin to follow the Bucks I believe in 1977-78.  Guys like Dave Meyers, Brian Winters, Marques Johnson... I think I even remember Alex English as a Buck very briefly.   For the first 20 years of their existence, the Bucks really did have quite a bit of success.  Since then though... they've mostly wallowed in mediocrity. 

DH13 posted:

Those late 70's teams were my first recollection of the Bucks.  

Don't forget Sidney Moncreif!

The 1980-81 team  was loaded. They won 60 games and had 7 guys average double figures. They had 3 legit all-stars on that team (Marques, Moncrief, and Lanier) and Bridgeman and Winters (both still around from the Kareem trade) were both great shooters. Mickey Johnson was a good player and Quinn Buckner was a defensive stopper (2nd team All-Defense 4 times).

They got stuck playing on the road for a Game 7 in the conference semi-finals (as a 60 win team!) to peak Julius Erving 76ers. They lost 99-98 on a disputed ending.

https://www.si.com/vault/1981/...to-put-philly-on-top

Now it was Marques' turn. He scored five points as the Bucks drew to within a basket at 93-91. With 2:30 to play, Moncrief tried a layup, and Dawkins was called for goaltending when he pinned the ball between the rim and the glass. The score: 93-93. That set the stage for Jones' late-game heroics and the semi-protest by the Bucks.

After a Hollins jumper, Jones' first two free throws put Philly up 97-93. Marques quickly cut the margin to two at 1:06. Then, with 45 seconds to play, Jones rebounded a shot missed by Erving. Eighteen seconds later, after a Cheeks field-goal attempt was blocked by Lanier, Caldwell picked up the loose ball and put up a shot from the top of the key. It missed, barely ticking the rim, but it beat the 24-second shot clock. Dawkins tapped the offensive rebound back to Hollins, who passed the ball on to Jones, who was fouled with 14 seconds to play and made both free throws. That made the score 99-95. The Sixers had held on to the ball for an incredible—and later disputed—52 seconds. A three-point goal by Bridgeman was too little, too late.

But even an hour after the final buzzer there was still a chance that the game hadn't truly ended. An error on the official play-by-play summary indicated that Jones' shot from the top of the key had come more than 24 seconds after the Sixers' previous shot. That prompted a trip by Nelson, Buck Vice-President Wayne Embry and the two game officials to WCAU, CBS' Philadelphia affiliate, to review tapes of those final seconds and determine whether the 24-second clock should have expired before Jones was awarded the free throws that produced the game's winning points. After watching and timing a replay, a dejected Nelson accepted the loss as nobly as he possibly could. "I just had to see if there were any discrepancies," he said.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.