Skip to main content

I don't mean to be dramatic but a lot of you old timers remember this board 10 years ago.
I remember most of you worried about us new Yorkers during the attack. I remember checking times four the next day and seeing the outpouring of concern. Looking back 10 years later
I so thankful of the kindness and concern.
I remember standing outside 3 blocks away and watching them burn
I remember watching debree fall and thinking it was scrap only to realize it was humans. I remember
Running from the falling towers thinking the world was ending
Please google Melissa Vincent
Ralph mercurio
Tony Gallagher
People I knew
They were not lost
They were murdered
Never forget people
I have married since 911
I have twin 3 year old girls
The 3500 people have none of this
Worst day of my life
Make every new day your beat
Those bastards will never
Never
Never
Win
Peace
Go pack
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The next most important thing is to remember the thousands of brave young americans who have lost their lives protecting the way we live. Think about all those men and women who would hAve been looking forward to opening day cheering and talking football sitting in a bar stool next to you who are now just a ghost and a memory. Raise a glass to them
We are so lucky And fortunate it brings me to tears.
Kworst, I do remember those days and the concern on this board for your safety on that terrible day. I was happy to see you post for once. Smiler

I would like to also remember those on the planes and those at the pentagon. I also agree with those that remind us to thank those who have fought for our freedom not to diminish the sacrifice of those that have died for it. This will be a tough weekend.
I certainly do remember 9/11 ten years ago even though I am a long way from NY. We watched the TV all day long and could not believe it was actually happening. Even took our food down to the computer (and TV) room so we would not miss this evil event. Thankfully Bin Laden is gone!! Thanks to our brave young men in the Special Forces (Seal Team 6)!!
quote:
Originally posted by kworst:
The next most important thing is to remember the thousands of brave young americans who have lost their lives protecting the way we live. Think about all those men and women who would hAve been looking forward to opening day cheering and talking football sitting in a bar stool next to you who are now just a ghost and a memory. Raise a glass to them

I remember how many people were worried about you kworst. to my "evil twin".
I arrived at Trinity Lutheran Christian School to teach DARE to a group of 5th graders.

Was so glad to be with them...and glad not to be in a public school....because we were able to say prayers openly and have some real talk about what was happening.

Within the next couple days I seriously considered re-enlisting. If not for young kids pretty sure I would have done it. Looked hard at being an Air Marshall

Never bought into the kool aid
Yep - remember it well - though it was some time before I was able to read the thread. We were on a plane bound for Milwaukee (on the first leg of Salt Lake to Phoenix to Milwaukee) for my grandfather's funeral and got diverted to Vegas. We missed the funeral and spent the next 4 days trying to find a way home. Checked in at x4 and read the thread like a novel I couldn't put down.
quote:
Originally posted by kworst:

First of all K, your initial post was deeply touching. It left a lump in my throat there for a minute or two.

I have not often agreed with most of what Kworst has post and after 11 years around here I certainly can't recall any one specific post. But I think it is safe to say his posts here have been his best.

Not only to I think of those men and women everyday, but I get to see them by the dozens, daily. They are special people, good people, and oh so young..., don't just think of them everyday, say a pray for them and their familes.

Scott C---I honestly believe that getting all flights in the air all on the ground within 4-5 hours of the attacks might be the single greatest feat this country has accomplished since the moon landings.
I was working in downtown DC that day and it was a surreal experience to say the least. To ride past the Pentagon on the metro on the way home and see some of what was going on was mind numbing to say the least. I then spent 18 months activated out of the reserves in the DC area doing security.

I just can't believe it has been 10 years ago already wow.
I remember everyone asking about kworst too. I was on a train (subway) that stopped at wtc between the two planes hitting. I had no idea what was going on. My office was on 42nd street and 5th ave and on my way from my train to the office I could always see the top of wtc. That morning I saw the smoke billowing out and thought there was a terrible fire and my heart sank into my stomach. It wasnt until I got up to the office that I found out what happened. Me and my boss went down to the corner and saw the first tower come down then went back up to the office. It was all hard to process. The next thought in everyone's mind was "what's next? is this all or just the beginning?". The office was a couple blocks from times square so we decided to get out and go somewhere "safer". I went to a coworkers place and watched news coverage the rest of the day then walked home 5 miles.

We had a job with the PANYNJ whos offices were in wtc and had a meeting scheduled with them that morning. Half our office would have been there, including me. The meeting was canceled the day before.

The 11th obviously had an unspeakable impact. But the days, weeks and months that followed were as heavy in different ways. The homemade "looking for" posters people put up at subway stations and other public places shook me most. Taking the train home in the following days and picking up volunteers who had been sifting through remains at ground zero all day also kept the impact fresh in my mind. The city really was a different place during that time. People during rush hour were a lot more courteous, holding doors open, avoiding the usual mosh pit like behavior. It took quite a while for things to really feel normal again. I've never been a jumpy person but to this day I still flinch at loud unexpected sounds. It's a very minor thing but a sure reminder.
Last edited by DH13

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.