Skip to main content

Jan. 1, 1967 @ the Cotton Bowl

JSO story

Great game.

Starr

Starr is viewed by many today as a “game manager,” an extension of Lombardi on the field who handed off to Hall of Fame running backs, rarely made mistakes and was a poised leader.

Those things are true, but they do a disservice to him as a passer of the ball. Never was that more evident than in the 1966 NFL Championship Game. Against a great Landry-coached defense, he completed 19 of 28 passes for 304 yards and four touchdowns, with no interceptions. His quarterback rating was 143.5.

Last edited by H5
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That game is one of my earliest memories of the Packers.  My sister, who got me interested in Packer football, and I were watching the game and when Jim Grabowski picked up the fumble on the kick-off to Dallas and returned it for a TD we went crazy. 

I pulled the JSO story, seems Sheb Press did as well.

One of my earliest memories as well ammo. I know I watched the games with my dad from about '64 on, so my mother tells me, I just don't recall them clearly. This one though is very clear.

Have there ever been two greater back-to-back NFL Championship games?

Let alone back-to back title games featuring the same two teams?

In each, Lombardi's Packers showed their greatness.

And Bryan Bartlett Starr showed why he is one of sports' all-time great leaders and champions.

" Packers-Cowboys I " -- 50 years ago this week. I still remember jumping up and down and rolling around on the floor with my little brother in our cramped Northwoods living room on a cold December afternoon/evening when Dave Robinson rushed Don Meredith into throwing the game-sealing interception.

I love this team.

Last edited by ilcuqui

That Robinson play may have been the the original "It is time" type Packers moment. Then we had the Reggie sacks late in the SB to beat the Patriots. And then Matthews and Pickett spilling it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.