Skip to main content

1946... the last time a Packers team won 2 games in the same season while scoring 10 or less points.

Thompson, McCarthy, & Capers

Not Lombardi & Bengston (helluva defensive coach) or Wolf, Holmgren & Shurmur.

With the rules geared towards offense, this is a pretty f'n impressive stat. And the two wins were against teams that made the playoffs, not scrubs like Carolina and Buffalo.

Everyone needs a Dom. Fortunately for us there is only ONE!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The 9-0 win over the Jets was amazing. In their place no less.

Defense wins championships. We've been in the playoffs for the last 2 weeks. We need to win 6 in a row to close out the season. We got the first 2! Let's see if the defense can hold up for 4 more games.

Should be an excellent test vs. the well coached Eagles.
Some might say they scored 10 and 9 against two of the better defenses in the league.

Others might argue that the Saints won the SB last year because of their defense (pick-6), even though they were ranked 25th in yards allowed and 20th in points allowed.

I had chicken salad for lunch.
Don't count. The other teams could not have won the game if they had the ball at the end. The best would have been a tie and the other was a 9 point led so they could not have even tied.

Nope, not close games and certainly not nail biting close.

In the 6 losses the defense has given up 10 TDs. They have not given up more than 2 TDs in any loss this season. I am not counting the 3 yard drive by New England thanks to the botched squib kick. In 2 of the losses they only gave up 1 TD (Detroit, Washington). I believe only the Vikings were able to score 3 TDs against the defense all year - again not counting that gift TD drive against New England.
quote:
Originally posted by chickenboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Boris: Defense wins championships.

Three of the last four champions finished in the bottom half of the NFL in points allowed.

Yes with below average running games
quote:
In the 6 losses the defense has given up 10 TDs. They have not given up more than 2 TDs in any loss this season. I am not counting the 3 yard drive by New England thanks to the botched squib kick. In 2 of the losses they only gave up 1 TD (Detroit, Washington). I believe only the Vikings were able to score 3 TDs against the defense all year - again not counting that gift TD drive against New England.

along this line of thought, Bill & Rookie said on the radio this morning that the Eagles only won games this season when they scored at least 27 points. I checked it out and they're right, but they did beat the Colts 26-24 and lost to the Bears 31-26. So given the above, if our defense stays true to course... Smiler
Actually, the interesting thing is, that if you take away Hester's TD return, Flynn's pick-6, and the fat guy's long return, (21 points in all) the defense has only allowed 13.7 points per game for the entire year. (16.0 in losses instead of 19.5)

Let's not forget the Hochuli-Zombo call, the long return by ATL to end the game, and Crosby missing against the Redskins (to allow them to score 3 in OT) - all of which were not the fault of the defense. 6 plays for 34 points in all, that had nothing really to do with the defense. Take those points off the board and the D has allowed 12.9ppg (13.8 in losses).

It's actually a pretty good sign for the defense, it's pretty much been playing lights-out all year, even in the Pats game (as the defense only allowed 17 pts)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.