Skip to main content

By Mike Spofford

The sting of the Packers’ early exit from the postseason may still be too fresh for some to appreciate what the team accomplished in the regular season, but the 2011 Packers left their stamp all over the team record book, featuring both team and individual achievements.

Here’s a rundown of the most significant records and statistics that will sit atop the franchise’s all-time lists, at least until next year. Unless noted, all records are for regular-season games only.

Victories

The Packers set franchise records for most wins in a regular season (15), most wins to start a season (13), longest single-season winning streak (13), longest winning streak including playoffs (19, dating back to Week 16 of 2010), most road wins in one regular season (seven) and longest road winning streak including playoffs (10, dating back to 2010 wild-card game).

The 19-game winning streak was the second-longest in NFL history, behind only New England’s 21-game streak in 2003-04.

Green Bay also swept all division games for the first time in team history since the NFL went to the current divisional format in 1967, and became the first team to sweep the NFC North/Central since the 1987 Chicago Bears.

http://www.packers.com/news-an...78-8760-2434e6726ca5

I do feel a little better after reading this article. Still sick about the loss, but thankful for this team. Guess I didn't appreciate them as much as I should have during the year.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by CAPackfan:
quote:
Originally posted by PDXPackFan:
****q those records... they mean nothing and make the first round exit even worse

Technically, it was the 2nd round. Does that help a little?

Well if the only way they could win a "first" round playoff game after goin 15-1, is if the other team was nonexistant.. then NO
Maybe the most shocking record is most yards allowed in Packer history. I've seen some pretty awful defenses like the '83 defense, the '04, and the '08 defense and it's shocking to believe a defense with as much talent as this one had surpassed those other 3 horrendously bad defenses.

The coaches need to take a good hard look at who was responsible for that abomination and either get rid of guys, or provide lots and lots of competition for the current defensive guys and force them to either step up their game or get beaten out by some new blood.
quote:
Originally posted by Pistol GB:
The Kansas Sh*tty game wasn't enough.

A mid-season, 4 game losing streak would have been wonderful.

I think a lot of it had to do with their not playing any "adversity games" since wk13 vs. NYG. Maybe vs. KC but that game may have been more of an indicator of where they were mentally than a cause. So it was more than just the 2wks or 3wks off, it was actually almost 6 wks since the whole starting team had been in any kind of "do or die" situation where they had to play clean precise football. I'm also starting to think that win over DET did more harm than good. When you can beat a playoff team with half your starters on the bench and your backup QB, I can see how overconfidence could start to creep in.

So as a lesson learned, how does one prevent that from happening in the future? Don't know. Somehow the coaching staff and the players need to find a way to keep focused and maintain a fighting edge when they are no longer challenged. I remember MM at the beginning of the season talking about their biggest challenge being "how they handle success". They did it well through the regular season but got fat and happy by playoff time. I hope they figure out how to fix that next year because they could very well end up in the exact same situation.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.