Skip to main content

I heard an interview today on NFL Radio with a safety for the Giants. They talked about stopping tight ends and Pass D in general saying the key was their 4 D-Linemen, 2 Linebackers, 2 Corners and 3 Safety alignment. After the interview the NFL announcer said he expects to see a lot of this D and one that has 3 D-Linemen, 2 Linebackers, 3 Corners and 3 Safeties. He said this will allow the 3rd Safety or 2nd and 3rd Safeties to cheat to the line on run plays while still having the correct manpower to cover all the tight ends and backs in pass coverage. He said the big mismatch the past couple years have been Linebackers trying to cover faster guys in pass protection or slot corners trying to cover big tight ends.
Got me thinking that D-Backs might be big in Packer draft plans along with linemen.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well Lee could not beat out Bush for the dime slot, so I rather have Bush then Lee on the team. I am ok with Bush as long as he is the fifth option at corner.
I am ok with Peprah at safety as long as he is the 4 option. At some point teams have to except an average or below average guy at the last slots in the depth charts.
I suspect that Lee is gone, Bush may leave as a Free Agent.
How many of these guys can Ted replace in one season?
quote:
Originally posted by FarmDog:
The Giant way isn't the only way. We need a pass rush.

Correct. This is not that complicated to figure out. Fix the pass rush, you fix a lot of the problem on D.

As for scheme, few teams are strictly 3-4 or 4-3 or__________. Many teams mix it up all through the season. That certainly includes Capers.
quote:
Originally posted by Packdog:
quote:
the key was their 4 D-Linemenn

Yeah, 4 really good d- linemen.

How simple, all the giants did was put a average group of linebackers, crap secondary, and 4 fire breathing muthufukkas on their defense.

These days I think that's what it takes. The passing systems now are so good that if you don't get to the QB, almost any of them will pick you apart, doesn't matter how good the secondary is.
yep, and just like the GBP 4-3 in 1996 you GOTTA have at least FOUR pretty top notch guys on the DLine to do the 4-3 in the NFL. If you have a weak link at any of them, you're chasing. SF and NYG both had 4 up front that could do it. If GB went 4-3 right now they'd have 2 of 4 - the two DTs in Raji and Pickett - and be in dire straits otherwise.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.