New Season
New Offensive Coordinator
New QB coach

New Center
New RB

New WR coach
New RB coach
New TE coach

That's a whole lotta new to assimilate before you can have a finely tuned offense ready to light up the scoreboard. Communication from the HC to the OC to the QB to the Center - everything has changed

They'll keep getting better as the season rolls along

2011 saw Grant & Starks sharing the load at RB, 2012 has Benson & Kuhn so far

Less Jennings, more Cobb
Less Driver, more Jones

Patience Packer fans....they'll be peaking in December/January
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Conversely:
Everyone essentially came from in-house except Saturday and he's been around long enough that it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Philbin was a good coach, but the offense is supposedly McCarthy's baby anyway. I don't feel there's been enough change to use that as an excuse to warrant the lesser outcome so far.

I'd be more inclined after last week to buy the replacement officials and how they were(n't) calling things would have had a greater impact.
Last edited by Herschel
quote:
Originally posted by Herschel the contrarian:
blah blah blah I have to disagree with everything blah blah blah

Read what Jeff Saturday himself said:

"Saturday played in a completely different offensive system in Indianapolis. It had different terminology and different ways of adjusting to defensive looks. It featured a different quarterback using a different system of communication.

"Football-wise, it's taken some getting used to," Saturday said as the Packers prepared to play the Colts Sunday. "I'm still learning. Each and every week you're still piecing the thing together "

But good ole herschel says "it shouldn't make much of a difference"

Dude, stick to cliche's - original thought is clearly not your forte
It's not being a contrarian, I just think the drop-off has been more than what the changes warrant. As I said, I think the replacement refs seemed to have a pretty big effect on it also with the way they were (and weren't) calling things.

We saw the offense against New Orleans get in gear more that previously also. It obviously doesn't hurt that New Orleans' defense is nowhere near as good as Seattle's or San Fran's also but the d-backs weren't able to bang the receivers downfield like they had previously either.

McCarthy: "Can’t really concern myself with the performance of the officials. We had conversations about approaching the game differently, but we chose not to. We felt it was important to playing the game the right way with approach to rules. We’ll really focus on improving ourselves. I can’t really be concerned whee the officials are coming out of their training camp. We do have history with the referee crews, we’ll look at that but won’t change our approach to the game.”

In other words, it was more of a combination of things rather than just the changes. The drop-off seemed too much for that kind of drop considering the amount of continuity they have.
Last edited by Herschel
I don't think he's washed up, he just needs time to come together with his line mates and QB. Too much thinking/uncertainty slows down the reaction time

"Despite experience playing a fast-tempo, no-huddle offense like the Packers', Saturday just doesn't have the same time in with Rodgers and the offense. So when he identifies certain looks before the snap, his take on how to adjust the protection might not be the same as Rodgers'."

Silverstein has more in his recent article on Jeff Saturday's acclimation in GB

http://www.jsonline.com/sports...73lbf-172586561.html
Well it would explain why MM has been reluctant to abandon the vertical passing game that worked so well last year. He thinks it's just a matter of execution.

Not to risk being blah-blahed, but the deep Cover 2 started causing problems for that last year, even. I don't think it's a coincidence that reverting to a more balanced attack with the running game and short passing game has made the offense start to function better. "Newness" didn't stop those from working.
Last edited by Pistol GB
Yep, they'll definitely continue to gel as things move along. This has always been MM's offense, but Philbin's role cannot be overlooked.

I know we all also hoped that maybe we were just seeing some really tough defenses early, and so far that appears to be the case. The first three games came against D's that all currently reside in the Top 5 of points surrendered.

They would have at least cracked 30 against NO without Harrell's debut performance last week, and I expect them to hit that mark on Sunday.
quote:
Originally posted by Pistol GB:

Not to risk being blah-blahed, but the deep Cover 2 started causing problems for that last year, even.

The blah blah quote on my part was an over-reaction, post whatever you like on X4

I just think sometimes we forget the incredible complexity and coordination needed to run a record setting offense at Max Q.

And with all of the changes, it just takes a little time to get everybody back in sync. There are many reasons for the sluggish offensive start and the offseason prep by our opponents, the changes in coaches and personnel, the fake refs and others all contributed to it

They'll keep getting better, of that I am certain
quote:
Originally posted by Satori:
They'll keep getting better, of that I am certain

Our WR's got physical last week and it showed. Jordy Nelson in particular played with attitude and that has helped.

Now that the real ref's are back couple things:

1.) It's no coincidence with their return, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc all have big days. Ref's were spotting the ball much quicker and these no-huddle type offenses were humming in week 4. It was nothing like that in weeks 1-3.

2.) With the replacement goofs, mass mugging was going on with WR's having contact WAAAAY past 5 yards. None of it was being called and the DB's knew it. Now this is being called. This should help with guys being able to run their routes like they have previously.
Yes the replacement referees let the DB get away with a lot of stuff. For a precision offence like the Packer throwing of pass plays timing really hurt. The NFL reverted to the way it was played before all the new pass friendly rules were adopted. It will be interesting to see how the games changes as the regular ref get back into the swing of things.
I'm with Herschel on the continuity thing. The Patriots switched offensive coordinators too, and integrated a new #1 receiver, yet somehow have the top offense. Yeah, part of it is that we have played relatively tough defenses, but even taking that into consideration the offense has underperformed, so I won't give them a free pass. They need to get better and I'm confident they will.

The quote from McCarthy about the approach to replacement refs is a bit weird. I know in the past I've heard Packers discuss using different approaches with different officiating crews based on their reputations, so why wouldn't they go through the process of figuring out how much they could get away with?
quote:
so why wouldn't they go through the process of figuring out how much they could get away with?

lots of rookies in the 2ndary and bad habits - not a good way to start them out
from Packer Update:

"Clements was a QB guru. McAdoo is a bright young guy, but he had little experience working with QBs prior to getting the job."
"You have to wonder if 12 is getting the kind of coaching during the week that he needs. He doesn't look as prepared this season."'
With a couple of offseasons, D's are more prepared for pass heavy attacks now. NE, NO, GB offenses all seem down a bit or off at times. NE has adjusted and they are running the ball more and have sped up their attack. NO continues to live with Brees and they are 1-4. McCarthy is predictable / relies too much on Rodgers and they are 2-3. Time to adjust...

2009, 2010, 2012 are the norms... 2011 is the anomaly.
They also drove down the field in 30 seconds to set up a makeable field goal, which CROSBYMadMadMad promptly shanked. It would have been nice if they could have gotten that last play off on made it a little shorter kick, but CROSBYMadMadMad has more than enough leg for that kick and he shanked it so hard it would have missed from 30.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/173026821.html

quote:

"We're up 21-3 at halftime and we sort of changed our game plan in the second half and we couldn't do (expletive)," an obviously angry guard T.J. Lang said. "They knew all we were doing was throwing the ball so they were coming with everything they had."
Changing the gameplan up 21-3 is not that unusual. Plus with Benson out it made it hard for the Colts to respect the running game. So I understand Lang's frustration because it didn't work, but I also see the logic behind doing it.
Wait a minute.

quote:

"We're up 21-3 at halftime and we sort of changed our game plan in the second half and we couldn't do (expletive)," an obviously angry guard T.J. Lang said. "They knew all we were doing was throwing the ball so they were coming with everything they had."

Holy crap!
Green looks OK to me running the same type of runs as Benson. I don't buy the theory that we had to abandon run because of Benson injury. Hell put Cobb at QB & run the wildcat as a change of pace....SF sure looks good doing it.
quote:
Originally posted by PackingSense:
Up until the time that he broke the big run in the 4th, Green didn't look OK to me at all. Reminded me alot of Ryan Grant as he constantly was getting tripped up in the backfield.

...if that's the case, inexcusable to then not have Starks activated. You've got to expect RB's to get hurt....happens all the time. You can't limit yourself from a whole chapter in your offensive scheme because of an injury that you know has a chance of happening, given the pounding RB's take.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.