Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Murphy screwed the pooch yesterday IMHO.
By worrying that TOO many people would attend and not letting shareholders bring at least one guest, only 12,000 or so stockholders attended. I didn't think of this prior (but I'm not paid big bucks to do so) but what individual stockholder that isn't buddies with a few stockholders is going to attend the event by him/herself? Not many. So instead of having 30,000 or so people to sell concessions and merchandise to you only had 12,0000. That was an easy chunk of revenue that just passed in the nite. DOH!

I did appreciate his comments about the 16 game season tho.
quote:
Originally posted by Tdog:

They'll do better next year - but they purposely choose a Tuesday slot to dissuade many from coming....

The other part that I thought they could improve is this:

They inducted Holmgren and others into the Packer Hall of Fame just a few days ago

Why couldn't they combine the timing so the shareholders get a chance to salute and cheer the new inductees ?
Seems like they could coordinate the timing a bit better and make it into a heck of an event for their most loyal fans
quote:
Originally posted by Satori:
quote:
Originally posted by Tdog:

...but they purposely choose a Tuesday slot to dissuade many from coming....
Past Shareholder meetings have been on Thursdays. I doubt many chose not to attend because it was a Tuesday and not a Thursday.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough - what I meant was that they always choose a weekday instead of a weekend -

That makes it hard for working folks and people who might come from out of the area to attend the meeting .
Has anyone seen a good summary of the shareholder meeting anywhere? I know there have been little tidbits here and there in various news articles, but I'm looking for a good consolidated summary to send to my nephew who I bought a share of stock for this year.

Thanks.

Brian

They are expecting the lowest attendance (12k-ish) since moving it to Lambeau.

Would be awesome if Larry Weyers walked to the podium first and announced that Murphy is out as Pres and CEO and that Harlan was stepping back in as an interim Pres/CEO while they search for a replacement.

Then Harlan steps up and announces the #4 retirement thing will happen at the Thursday night game, Oct. 2 vs the Vikes.

I got the sarcasm.  But I don't think you got why I had said the Jets.   I think doing it for the Vikings game would be more of a benefit to Favre.  He had success there.  For the Jets, it would remind him of the first team he was traded to...and...his last play for them was a pick that kept them out of the playoffs.

That's EXACTLY why I thought the Jets game would be a better choice.

Murphy says he's often asked what the key is to the Packers success. "One factor: Ted Thompson."

Thompson singles out Russ Ball, team's chief contract negotiator. Says he's "probably negotiating a contract somewhere."

Thompson about to read off draft picks' names. Before he does, he says, "This is the longest I've been up here."

Huge cheers from crowd when Thompson lists Abbrecadabra, "I've been waiting to announce him in front of somebody. He's doing great."

Thompson: "We do expect to win. And we expect to win this year. ... "

Thompson's final line before standing O: "We've had times where I didn't maybe feel so loved, but I do now."

Highlights from today's Packers shareholders meeting ...
-- There were 14,759 at Lambeau Field and another 10,000 watching online. (Streaming video was for shareholders only.)
-- Ted Thompson gave a loose, entertaining speech, but said nothing of substance about this year's team (as usual).
-- Players report at 6 a.m. Friday for physicals and testing.
-- The Packers are studying variable ticket pricing and probably will go to it in 2015.
-- The Packers likely will play in London sooner than later, but it'll be a road game. They won't give up a home game.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.