Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The Packers took the field again today in a practice that was originally to be open to the public, but was moved indoors due to weather conditions. However, the media was present and kept us apprised of the big news of the day. Included we have news on the players who sat out, the offensive line competitions, and the Mike Neal linebacker experiment, among other things.

In attendance but not participating in practice: Kevin Dorsey, Charles Johnson, DuJuan Harris, Sean Richardson, Davon House, Dezman Moses, Desmond Bishop, J.C. Tretter, Derek Sherrod, and Jerel Worthy (WH). As we noted earlier, Johnny Jolly and Sam Shields were not in the building.

Marshall Newhouse again lined up at right tackle with the first string offensive line (MV). David Bakhtiari was working with the second string at left tackle (RD).

Mike Neal took snaps at both defensive end and outside linebacker, and worked in position drills with players from both units (TD, WH). Wes has a quick video of him working on a fumble drill with the linebackers.

Alex Green fumbled on the first snap of team drills (TD). Great start.

Wes noted that Andrew Quarless looks explosive and confident on the field, which is a great sign after his knee injury.

Randall Cobb, Jeremy Ross, Johnathan Franklin, Jordy Nelson, and Tramon Williams all returned punts today, in that order (PD, RD).

The secondary started with Williams and Casey Hayward on the outside and Jarrett Bush in the slot. However, House and Shields were not in attendance, so those were the only veteran corners available (PD).
In the dime package, rookie Micah Hyde and safety Jerron McMillian manned the slot positions (PD).

Don Barclay took a few reps at center today, though it was with the third team (JW). This was the first time he had played there as a Packer, after taking reps at the other four offensive line spots last year (WH). He also got some reps at right tackle with the starters, however (WH).

The final play of practice was a deep bomb from Aaron Rodgers to James Jones for a 35-yard touchdown (JW).

http://www.acmepackingcompany....k-news-from-practice
quote:
McCarthy: Johnny Jolly is still not with team
jsonline.com

By Lori Nickel 05-28-13

β€’ McCarthy said there was an emphasis on causing fumbles today in practice. "We need to be able to create more fumbles."

β€’ TE Andrew Quarless looks the best shape he's been in here. Want to see the player that was coming on before the injury.

β€’ DB Casey Hayward is a natural football player. He jumped some routes today. "He makes it look like it comes very natural to him."

β€’ McCarthy doesn't really evaluate during OTAs. He's looking for the ability to cross train and create as much competition as he can. "The heightened learning phase is my focus." Pushing an up-tempo practice is also a key. "You have to teach your team how to practice."
continue
quote:
McCarthy on practice: Quarless is in great shape
Green Bay Press Gazette

by Weston Hodkiewicz on 05-28-13

♦ Energy has been great. This is the installation phase. You’ll have some mental errors but there’s successes. Identifying things you need to work on.

♦ Statistically we have not done very well in the error of creating fumbles. Sacks in the 50 and the fumbles not. 48 percent of fumbles caused are from sacks. We need to create more fumbles. That starts with the awareness footwork balance. Our defensive players are doing a good job of it. It’s something we’re working through.

♦ I felt the 2010 linebacker group was the deepest group I’ve ever been around. This group, I think definitely has a chance to champion that.

♦ I really felt (linebacker Terrell) Manning came on at the end of last season. I felt he could’ve made an impact earlier if it wasn’t for his injuries. He’s a good young player who we’re counting on to make an impact.

♦ (Tight end) Andrew Quarless clearly the best shape he’s been in since he’s been a Green Bay Packer. Sometimes it takes a full year and a half to do that. He spent a lot of extra time here. He’s done an excellent job in strength and conditioning. He’s one guy that has shown ability to play on and off the line. We’re challenging the other tight ends to do so.

♦ I"m excited about (linebacker Nick) Perry and how he's come back. I say it every year, I think second year players is where you make the biggest improvement. continue
quote:
Packers OTA Notes: Mike Neal at OLB
jerseyal.com

by Jason Perone on 05-28-13

Jarrett Boykin appears to have the inside track on one of the wide receiver spots vacated by the departures of Greg Jennings and Donald Driver. Last season, Boykin impressed late during the pre season and was the team’s choice as their fifth wide receiver. He did leave today’s practice early after he appeared to sustain an leg injury. He hobbled off the field and was being tended to by the team trainers . continue
Summary of all the tweets from the various reporters in attendance. Most of the same stuff in Goldie's post past the click.
quote:
Quarless made a play in OTA's today that showed such speed JSO reporters did a double take to make sure that was really Quarless. It was.
If he could make Finley expendable after this year it would make me exceedingly happy. Finley is good for about two drama storms a season. Anyone know when Quarless's contract is up? I'm thinking it might be this year.
quote:
Packers spirited in pursuit of creating more fumbles
packers.com

by Vic Ketchman on 05-28-13

If there’s one noticeable emphasis in this year’s OTA practices, it’s that the Packers defense is intent on creating more fumbles.

Every running play ended with a convergence of defensive players ripping at the ball tucked under the running back’s arm. On one occasion, the effort was successful at ripping the ball from Alex Green’s grasp.

β€œThe first three years, we were No. 1 in takeaways. Last year, we fell off. You get what you emphasize,” Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers said.

Even incomplete passes were pursued by defenders as though they were fumbles rolling along the ground. Practice was noticeably more spirited and the emphasis was on stripping the football.

"The tempo of practice is where it needs to be. You have to teach your team how to practice. No one is going to win a job this week. I can promise you that,” McCarthy said. continue
quote:
Don't blame Packers for fumble emphasis
espn/nfcnorthblog.com

by Kevin Seifert on 05-28-13

As the chart shows, in the two years since they won the Super Bowl, the Packers have recovered just 12 fumbles -- tied for the third-fewest in the NFL. In fact, the trend extends throughout McCarthy's tenure with the Packers.

Since his arrival in 2006, according to ESPN Stats & Information, the Packers have recovered 55 fumbles. That total is tied with the Jacksonville Jaguars for the fewest in the NFL over that stretch.

For context, consider that total is almost half of what the Chicago Bears (107) have recovered during the same time period, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Worth noting is that the top three teams in opponent fumble recoveries since 2006 are the Bears, Detroit Lions (106) and Minnesota Vikings (95). continue
Just hope the tackling doesn't fall off. There's a balance between the two, imo. Over emphasizing either can alter the other it seems.
quote:
Andrew Quarless stands out at Packers' OTA Tuesday
jsonline.com

by Tyler Dunne on 05-28-13

Waiting a full season to rehab and recover required a lot of patience. But even though he was activated off the physically unable to perform list in November, the Packers remained cautious and held him out.

Quarless believes he could have played. But the Packers thought long term instead.

β€œIt just makes you stronger as a player and as a person," Quarless said. "It was one of the toughest things just to watch and not be able to contribute last year. So to get back out there and compete this year, I’m just thankful.”

There's a clear change in Quarless' physical appearance. Last off-season, his focus was upper body. A block-first tight end through Green Bay's record-setting 2011 season, he continued to add mass up top. This off-season, however, he redirected his attention to the lower body.

Aside from a couple trips, Quarless has been spending most of his time in Green Bay training.

His knee repaired, he was able to strengthen his legs and gain quickness.

β€œBefore the injury, I was pumping the arms a lot," Quarless said. "But this past off-season, I kind of slacked off on arms. I’m trying to get them back, though. I feel like they’re a little smaller than they used to be. I’ve been strictly, strictly lower body. Just getting my hips, hamstrings, quads, everything, just getting that back. That was my biggest focus.” continue
quote:
Andrew Quarless like new in Packers OTAs
packers.com

by Mike Spofford on 05-28-13

During an OTA practice inside the Don Hutson Center on Tuesday, Quarless took a short, tight end screen pass from quarterback Aaron Rodgers, turned upfield and began to accelerate with the defense in pursuit.

He looked smooth, athletic and most importantly, nothing like the player last fall who was struggling to come back from reconstructive knee surgery.

He began 2012 on the reserve/physically unable to perform (PUP) list and was activated after nine weeks. He didn’t play in either of the next two games, though, and was placed on injured reserve after Thanksgiving.

He stayed involved by writing the weekly game-plan test for his position group, but in all reality, his third NFL season was a total washout. He called it one of the hardest things he’s had to deal with in his life.

β€œTo be away from football, just to be able to watch, to not make a contribution to help my team – I’m a big team player – it was just really tough,” he said. β€œIt was really tough for me.”

When he finally began practicing around midseason last year, Quarless had high hopes for returning to the field, and he gave it everything he had. But he knew the knee β€œjust wasn’t ready,” as difficult as it was for the competitor in Quarless to admit. It would swell up after strenuous workouts and send him other distress signals. The move to IR was disappointing but not totally surprising.

The competition will have to sort itself out. Quarless plans to use his rugged, physical style to do some of the sorting come training camp, when everyone is wearing more than just shorts, jerseys and helmets. He says the whole injury ordeal and extended layoff has put a chip on his shoulder.

β€œGrowing up, I always enjoyed the contact,” he said. β€œThat’s one of the reasons I played football.

β€œI’m really anxious to put those pads back on. I’m anxious to show the younger guys what I can do.”
continue
quote:
With emphasis on forcing fumbles, Packers face balancing act
jsonline.com

by Tyler Dunne on 05-28-13

During last week's first OTA open to the media, defensive coaches screamed at players for a nanosecond of hesitation in pouncing on an incomplete pass to John Kuhn. Everyone, they're preaching, must swarm to any football on the turf. On this early 11-on-11 play, even defensive coordinator Dom Capers was red in the face.

Now, they're hoping for the best of both worlds. Securing the tackle first is most important, Capers said.

"We still want to continue to work on our tackling," Capers said. "We made big strides last year in tackling than we did the year before. We weren't a very good tackling team two years ago. We improved a lot and I think that's just an example, you watch practice every day and you can see how much emphasis we put on it. You have to be creative nowadays. You can't hit each other every day out there. So you see us trying to do a lot of different things. Guys bend their knees, get into the position, finish with their feet, club their arms and all those things.

"You have to be smart. The first thing is you have to secure the tackle and then get the ball out."

"We're trying to work more drills, we're trying to put more emphasis on it," Capers said later. "You see us going to the ball with a little more intensity out there. You see everybody poking at the football, trying to get the ball out. We're just trying to get them all conditioned mentally. Every time the ball's on the ground, you see somebody scoop it. ...Just to condition everybody to get to that ball, scoop the ball and try to get the mentality of taking the ball away.

"In four years, we're No. 1 in interceptions but we're not close in causing fumbles."
continue
doh! -swear I didn't read this before my comments above
quote:
Trgovac is rooting for Jolly to succeed
Green Bay Press Gazette

by Mike Vandermause on 05-28-13

Packers defensive line coach Mike Trgovac has a soft spot in his heart for Johnny Jolly and would love nothing more than to see the defensive lineman make a successful comeback.

β€œJohnny was just a good solid hard-nosed football player, so we’ll see if he still has it,” said Trgovac. β€œI’m rooting for him, I’m very proud of what he’s done, even if he wasn’t back here. My intention was to just stay in touch with him because he’s a good person that I care about.”

β€œI am eagerly anticipating (his return) just because I like Johnny so much,” said Trgovac
on Tuesday following the Packers’ OTA practice. β€œI’ve stayed in contact with him within the rules and so I’m just happy for him with what he’s able to do and able to bounce back like he did. Now from there, we’ll have to see what happens. I don’t have a clue on what’s going to happen. But I’m excited to see him because I like him personally so much. I’ll be the one rooting for him. I don’t know what he’s going to be able to do. I’ve never had an experience of a guy laid off this long.”

β€œIf anybody can do it, Johnny can do it because Johnny loves the game,” said Trgovac. continue
More quotes from Trgovac past the click. This should be real interesting to see if Jolly can get back up to speed enough to make the team. He's one of the guys who was also able to get the defense fired up.
quote:
Packers' Quarless seeking to become impact player
foxsportswisconsin.com

by Paul Imig on 05-28-13

On Quarless' notable play in Tuesday's practice, he took a few passing hits from teammates. There wasn't any tackling involved, but a spirited workout that placed an emphasis on the defense to force fumbles gave Quarless a chance to see that his knee could hold up.

"I fell on it a few times," Quarless said. "That was kind of a big test for me, too. I haven't really fallen on it since the injury so falling and getting back up – that's one of the biggest things."

Quarless noted that he hadn't run a passing route until the beginning of OTAs last week. Being able to cut aggressively on those plays was just as crucial to his recovery, especially with overcoming the mental side of the injury continue
quote:
Originally posted by titmfatied:
Anyone know when Quarless's contract is up? I'm thinking it might be this year.

You are correct:
from JSO:
He signed in 2010 and its up after this year

Andrew Quarless, TE (fifth round), 4 years, $1.9724 million - Signing bonus: $182,425. Base salaries: Yearly minimums with escalator in 2013 by meeting minimum playing-time or team qualifier. Cap number: $365,606. Rookie pool: 9.46%

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/138820739.html
quote:
Redemption song?
espnwisconsin.com

by Jason Wilde on 05-28-13

The bigger question, though, is what the 6-foot 3-inch, 310-pound Jolly has left as a player. He appeared to be a perfect fit for defensive coordinator Dom Capers’ 3-4 defense in the lone year he got to play in the system, starting all 16 games in 2009 and finishing with 24 tackles, one sack and 10 passes defended.

β€œIt’s hard to say until you see a guy out there working with the other guys.” Capers said. β€œWe’ve got a group of guys that have been working awful hard. It’s hard to get yourself ready to play this game unless you’re out there on the field going through the drill work and all that. I don’t care how much you work on your own, it’s different. We’ll just have to wait and see with Johnny.”

Trgovac said he has seen Jolly in person several times since his reinstatement but isn’t sure what kind of shape he’s in.

β€œHe was here a few times, but I have not seen him move around or on the field or anything like that. So I don’t know anything in that regard,” Trgovac said. β€œIt doesn't look like he blew up, if that's what you're asking. But other than that, I don't know. I haven't seen him work out yet."

As for Jolly’s skill level and how much rust could build up during such a long layoff, Trgovac suggested that it may not be as big of an issue as one might think.

β€œDefensive line is not the hardest position to learn. I don't want to say we're dummies, but it's not like playing (defensive back) where the coverages will change,” Trgovac said. β€œ(The hardest thing) is probably just your timing. Whether the guy can maintain his quickness and stuff like that. But with him being laid off, I really don't have any idea. I'm kind of excited for him to be here." continue
Past the click quotes from Raji about Jolly and Trgovac talks about the lengths he went to to stay in contact with Johnny.
quote:
Packers line shuffle aimed at protecting QB
jsonline.com

by Rob Reischel on 05-28-13

While Green Bay has always boasted about the versatility of its linemen and their ability to play multiple positions, all agree this major overhaul will be tough.

"It's like a lefty switching to a right-handed batter and not being ambidextrous," Bulaga said. "You're flipping sides, you're flipping footwork.

"I think it's a little bit more physical than mental, just because all we're doing mentally is flipping calls and flipping plays in our head. That's really all it is. From a physical standpoint of getting footwork, hand placement, everything is turned around a little bit, so it takes a little time."

Sitton and Lang both acknowledge their moves will take time, as well. Sitton insists it could take most of the summer for the guards to get comfortable in their new homes.

"It's not easy. It's really not," Sitton said. "It's difficult on your feet, your hands, your mind. Everything's flip-flopped and that's tough.

"It's not going to be an easy transition. But I think we have enough time to get used to it. It's definitely not easy right now, I'll tell you that. Really, just getting in and out of your stance is still hard."

When the Packers opened the 2012 season against San Francisco, their offensive line (from left) went Newhouse-Lang-Jeff Saturday-Sitton-Bulaga. When Green Bay opens with the 49ers on Sept. 8, it will likely have a new starter at all five spots.

But McCarthy & Co. have gone all in.

"We better not switch back now," Sitton said. "(Expletive). I hope not. If I get used to this, then we switch back, that will really suck." continue
quote:
Packers players say toughness isn't a problem
jsonline.com

By Rob Reischel

Some defenders expected to elevate level of physical play
Jarrett Bush carries his iPad with him much of the day. And from time to time, Green Bay's special teams ace and part-time defensive back finds moments that inspire him.

"I'm watching how certain guys play, like Atari Bigby, Nick Collins, Aaron Kampman, Johnny Jolly," Bush said. "It's like, 'OK. This is how we need to play.' Those guys were tough. We need to play that way again."

Toughness.

It's been a major theme surrounding Green Bay's defense this off-season.

"I don't think we need to get tougher; we just need to get more guys to buy in," Bush said. "Have guys see how it's done and be more committed and a little more selfless and just sell out more than we have.

"Don't worry about the next day and don't worry if I feel hurt the next day. That's just the way guys need to play. We need to play with that passion this year."
continue
I guess it's easier to say all that when you're not on the field for the the defense. Smiler Past the click, Clay shares his usual confidence that everything will be all right, Nick Perry thinks there's no problem with the toughness, and LeRoy Butler reminisces about the toughness of one of his former team mates.
quote:
Do the math: Nick Perry needs to produce
jsonline.com

by Rob Reischel on 05-28-13

when the Green Bay Packer outside linebacker tries explaining where he was mentally 12 months ago, he dials up a math analogy.

"I was in calculus 1 last year and I was drowning," Perry said. "I'm above water now. I'm ready to move to calculus 2."

Now it's a new season, and Perry is downright giddy to get his shot.

The highly-decorated Perry arrived in Green Bay with eye-popping workout numbers.

He bench-pressed 225 pounds 35 times at the 2012 NFL combine. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.58 seconds, a terrific time for a man his size.

Perry recorded 10-yard splits of 1.51 seconds, which was faster than several cornerbacks. And his score on the 50-question Wonderlic was a stellar 29.

Perry said he's thought many times this off-season about Green Bay's season-ending loss to San Francisco β€” and how he could have made a difference.

As Perry trained and rehabbed at Athletes' Performance in Arizona this off-season, he often reflected on that playoff loss. He's also thought about facing the 49ers in the season opener Sept. 8.

And he fully expects to be a game-changer.

"Those guys have it going on, and we need to catch them right now," Perry said of the 49ers. "I figure we'll face them twice this year. I'll be ready." continue
quote:
"I don't think we need to get tougher; we just need to get more guys to buy in," Bush said. "Have guys see how it's done and be more committed and a little more selfless and just sell out more than we have.

"Don't worry about the next day and don't worry if I feel hurt the next day. That's just the way guys need to play. We need to play with that passion this year." continue

....why didn't he just call Tramon by his name?
Sounds like Bush was throwing guys under the bus, backhandedly saying they were more worried about how they felt on Monday rather than being as physical as they could on Sunday even if they get hurt or risk getting hurt. To play pro ball with the type of physicality demanded by top teams you have to be able to ignore the pain and the damage you're doing to yourself. Bush seems to be pointing out that we have guys who don't want to sacrifice themselves. Only it's presented as "passion."
quote:
Originally posted by Pakrz:
quote:
Derek Sherrod

Still not suiting up. Did they amputate this dudes leg or something?

As you know, GB is exceedingly cautious with their guys coming back from injury
I think they are really hoping he makes it back at RT and are not risking that comeback during OTAs- especially after watching Tretter go down in a fumble drill
quote:
Originally posted by Troy:

I know a lot of people complain about Bush, but I like the effort he gives. He definitely isn't a starting cornerback in this league, but he is a hell of a special teams player. He does whatever is asked of him and doesn't complain. I think it's a good thing that he is on this team.

I completely agree. I just don't want to see him starting in the backfield. His attitude and style of play is most likely why he's still in the NFL. He just doesn't have the skills to be a full time DB in the NFL.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.