Skip to main content

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/e...salary-cap-situation

Sorry but I was not able to find the old cap thread. According to this article the Packers are in the 9 best position cap wise in the NFL. They have 26.5 million in cap space. The Bears about 42 million with Raiders having 63.5 million. The saints are about 13 million over the cap.

The 49er's have about 9 million in space but have some hefty free agents.

The Sea hags are about a million over the cap.

Last edited by turnip blood
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The big question will be Raji.  Shields has playd his way to a solid contract but Raji just hasn't.  I'd like to see a 2 yr deal for $12m but i have a feeling that some team desperate for a DT will give him 5 yrs/$45m (or something like that).  He just hasn't been consistently good these last 2 years and when you're talking $45m contracts, you need to be consistently good.  

Seahags are in trouble though.  They're at the cap now but those young players are all up for extensions, right?  Wagner, Sherman, and Thomas have all been in the league for 3 years now and are among the best in the league at their respective positions and are due for huge pay increases.  Same with Wilson in 2015.  49ers too, as they'll have to think about an extension for Kaepernick. 

it was said in another thread and I get the same impression, it seems Raji may want to play in a different system.  he seems to lack a certain passion or maybe he just always does...?

Raji can walk.  He is not worth the money he thinks he is worth.  Spend the money on someone who deserves it (Shields).  Sign Jolly to a contract.  He has more fire in his belly and shows a lot of leadership.

The most disconcerting news in that report is the Bears being $42M under the cap, with room for lots more pending a release of players like Peppers or (God forbid) Cutler.

Packers look to be in decent shape. True, we have a large number of FAs who may be re-signed/extended, but we also have the capability of picking up large chunks of cap space with player releases.

Timmy!

I don't think the Bears are in that advantageous of a position with regard to the cap.  They have a really serious decision to make about Cutler.  He alone would chew up half their cap savings.  And while many don't think he's a great QB, I don't think the team would be thrilled heading into next season without Cutler and McCown as a starter. (by the way, most Bears pundits believe it's a given they resign Cutler AND bring back McCown.)

As far as Peppers, sure they can save $$ by releasing him, but he's a starter too.  Who replaces him??  So far, McClellin hasn't been the answer.  So there's another starter (assuming Cutler and Peppers are gone) that needs replacing.

Here's the Bears UFAs for 2014:

Cutler (starter)

Peppers (starter)

Melton (starter)

Tillman & Jennings (both starting CBs)

Garza (starter)

Wright (starter)

DJ Williams (starter)

Slauson (starter)

Hester (Special Teams Returner)

Gould (Kicker, and a really good one)

Mannelly (long snapper, and really good)

Wootton (starter or significant playing time)

James Anderson (significant playing time)

Nate Collins (significant playing time)

Zack Bowman (significant playing time)

Josh McCown (significant playing time)

Eben Britton

Kelvin Hayden

By my count, 9 of 22 starters and 3/4s of your Special Teams units. Plus a bunch of guys that see plenty of minutes on the field each week.  That's a lot of dough that will need to resign even half those players. Sports radio in Chicago is not that happy with the Bears cap situation going into next year.  They have a lot of tough decisions to make.

Last edited by PackLandVA
Originally Posted by Troy:

Raji can walk.  He is not worth the money he thinks he is worth.  

You just know he's going to turn into Haloti Ngata wherever he goes

How much is TT pocketing this year?

Last edited by Boris
Originally Posted by Boris:
Originally Posted by Troy:

Raji can walk.  He is not worth the money he thinks he is worth.  

You just know he's going to turn into Haloti Ngata wherever he goes

How much is TT pocketing this year?

I doubt it.  He isn't doing it for The Packers so why keep him?  If TT lets him go, I trust his expertise.  I don't recall too many players that have left the Packers under TT that have gone and become superstars.

Raji would, IMHO, play much better at the NT position, which is where he played during his best year. If re-signed I think he plays NT going forward, with Pickett walking or signed cheap to be a NT back-up to Raji.

I thought for sure Jolly would be back at a reasonable deal. But now with his "significant" neck injury not so sure. Read on internet a source said it's a bulging disc on the C5 vertebre, and surgery may or may not be needed. Whats with all the recent Packers neck injuries? We seem snake bit in that regard.

Would really like to see Shields re-signed and hope it happens unless his asking price is astronomical and he wont come down to a realistic contract.

Also hope Jones, Quarles, Neal and EDS can sign reasonable deals.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/e...ts-steelers-lead-way

Here is the 3 teams in the worst cap shape. Dallas, New Orleans , and Pittsburg.

The first story had some new CBA information in it. Teams have to spend at least 89% of the cap in the years between 2013 and 2016, in 2017 the process is reset.

The Packers have more then enought cap space to sign thier own free agents. I am not sure if Finley or Raji are on the Packers list to resign.

I think they will let Raji test the market and resigned him if he agrees to tells price. Finley is all about what the docters  thinks about his neck.

I also think the Packers will sign a mid prive vetern Safty.

Last edited by turnip blood
Originally Posted by YATittle:

I'd give Flynn vet minimum and maybe a $50K bonus for every game he starts.

He's worth at least twice that to the Packers. Don't dick around with him. Pay him like a quality NFL backup QB.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.