Dec. 6 – Big Ten championship game

No Ohio State, no Michigan, no MSU, no Penn State
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In the out of conference schedule in 2014 they have:
Western Illinois at home Sep 6th
Bowling Green at home Sep 20th
South Florida at home Sep 27th

YOu are right that is one cake walk schedule but I think the games @NW, @Purdue, and @Iowa are the kinds of games that UW in the past has peed down their legs. IF they were to run the table is 2014 the year that the "playoff" starts? I would think a schedule like that could bite them even if they manage to run the table.
Wow... It's going to be a few years until the conference balances out. But if all you have to do is get up for the BT Championship Game and your in the playoff hunt, it bodes well. Anderson has to be looking at that year thinking its a big opportunity. I like the defensive guys they signed this year, and next year they'll be ready to contribute. And by then Mel Gordon will be a household name... Smiler
From what I have read so far, I really like how Anderson is reloading this team.

Initially I was shocked by how they restructured the Big 10 conferences but it didn't take long to realize how much of a boon this is for UW. As others have noted, it will probably balance out, but this has to be seen as a HUGE opportunity for Anderson and his staff.

I was fairly impressed by the reports from spring practice on the changes in the defense. I firmly believe we will still be able to recruit well, given Barry's presence and Anderson's track record, and we will be able to continue to reload.

South Florida has been pesky in the past and is just good enough to not get some of the dumdum talent that can't play at the other Florida schools. Beyond that, the non-conference schedule does not look so bad. Obviously the new rule of no FCS opponents doesn't kick in this year, is it going to be 2014?

I think the thing I am most excited about is not having dumbass be the ST coach, make horrible clock decisions, and in general look like a constipated dolt on the sidelines.

Forward Bucky!!

Bielema simply did not carry himself very well so that didn't do him many favors with a lot of fans. I also think his bowl record ended up hurting his legacy somewhat.

Still, Anderson has some big shoes to fill but I am encouraged about the things I've read and heard about the guy. He really seems to be a detail oriented, players focused type coach. It also doesn't seem like he has to be the center of attention (unlike Barry and to a lesser extent Brent).

The part I am really looking forward to seeing is the changes on defense.
2014 proably got a little tougher

Interesting about UW non conference going forward, really seem to want to upgrade

The Badgers have several non-conference games set for 2016 and beyond.

In 2016, UW is set to play Sept. 10 at Virginia Tech.

In 2017, UW is set to play Sept. 2 at BYU, host Virginia Tech on Sept. 9 and play at South Florida on Sept. 16.

In 2018, UW is set to play Sept. 1 at Washington and host BYU with the date to be determined.
I think it's good they are trying to improve their non-conference schedule. I'm so sick and tired of hearing that the Badgers schedule cupcakes but it's tough to say that when they are scheduling teams like Alabama and LSU and Va Tech. As we saw last year, a game at Oregon State was no joke either.

Yeah, cupcake is right.   But is that good?  Especially with non-conference games.

Our Boise State team is constantly knocked for poor competition, but what can they 

do about it?  The past few years they have gone on the road for the opening game

to play nationally ranked teams like Oregon, Virginia Tech, Michigan State, etc.

They won almost all of them except MSU last year (which I expected, as we were 

rebuilding with a new qb.)   As far as conference teams, you play them, and have no

say in that schedule.  BSU tries to schedule more tough non-conf. teams, but they don't

want to play BSU.  They say, "it's a no-win situation.  If we lose we get crucified;  if we win, everyone says, 'hey it's just little bsu, you should have won by more.'"

As a UW alum, I'd really like to see games against better teams than Tenn. Tech and Mass.  Besides, I think playing better teams makes us tougher, don't you?

Their schedule this year is a cakewalk if you ask me.  Sure, they get two tough road tests at Ohio State and Arizona State but Michigan State and Nebraska are off the schedule this year and they get Penn State at home. 

Don't know about the road game at Iowa but realistically this team should not have more than 2 losses if they can get consistent play out of the QB position 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.