Skip to main content

It's not the scheme complexity that is the issue, it's the buy-in by the players and really the coach's ability to sell the scheme to the players. If they players had bought in to what Rex was selling then there would be no "complexity issues". Dareus is making excuses for poor defensive play, Rex would probably tell you the players were the problem. In reality the failure is by both player and coach. For all his bluster, Rex is a schemer more than he is a rah rah guy. 

I'd wager the 'truth' is closer to the middle of the coach/player extremes.
Players knowing their responsibilities, what reads to look for, and using correct technique should be a given. After all, football is their only job, and likely has been for several years.
Not to mention they have been attending an institution of higher education, so one would think they have learned to ...well, learn. 
And I can see where a coach 'over-thinks' a scheme where a player has to make many decisions based on reads/reactions, and it becomes too much 'read' and not enough 'reaction'.

My personal belief is that the coaches should always tailor the defense to the players, not the other way around. Of course, teams want to acquire players that are (or should be) capable of executing a plan, but, sometimes, a guy is just too slow or too dumb. But, they will likely have him for 3-4 years at the least, so there needs to be a way to take advantage of whatever it is he does well.

on Dan Patrick show yesterday he talked about asking John McEnroe about thinking while playing.  McEnroe said he tried to never think while playing, just react. 

I believe therein is the magic - you have to teach/coach them well enough that they don't think and just react.  tricky thing to achieve with a lot of players I would imagine, and certainly more difficult with rookie/young players.

but none of that is anything new.  probably the delineating line between being good and great?

Hungry5 posted:

Similarly, this is what many have said about Dom in the past. While it's players and not plays, they need to understand what's being asked of them.

If they want to understand what is being asked, they will. If they're too dumb to understand the basics of a scheme then they aren't going to last long regardless of the scheme. The old story around here is that Phil Fulmer had to dumb all the running plays for Travis Henry down to things like "Wide Run Right" "Middle Run" "Run Left". That crap works in college, but in the NFL you better figure out pretty fast because all the schemes require some level of understanding. 

FLPACKER posted:

I continually tell my players (basketball) to "anticipate" rather than "react"

How about reactipate?  You're welcome.  Remember me when you're hucking chairs across the court.

Last edited by Henry
Henry posted:
FLPACKER posted:

I continually tell my players (basketball) to "anticipate" rather than "react"

How about reactipate?  You're welcome.  Remember me when you're hucking chairs across the court.

Funny thing, schools actually frown on that now

http://profootballtalk.nbcspor...g-rex-ryans-defense/

Bart Scott: Are you serous? First of all, I’ve been in this system my entire career. Eleven years, I’ve been in this system. As a defensive lineman, you only have like four [or five] fronts. Man, if you can’t remember five fronts, I don’t know what to tell you, bro. We can’t put the playbook in crayon.

Not to defend Rex Ryan, but it sounds like exactly what I figured. Dareus is lazy and wouldn't buy in/learn the system. 

Now the players are coming out with the "he wasn't hard enough on us" line. When a guy who runs a loose ship loses, the players want a hard-ass, when he loses they then want a "players-coach". I always maintained that after watching Rex on Hard Knocks with the Jets, I could see why his players loved him....he was on the same maturity level as they were! He was like the lovable uncle, everyone liked him, but he was hard to take seriously. 

Chip Kelly would be an interesting guy to bring on as a consultant, depending on whether his personality would fit in GB. I think Chip is an innovator and a guy with big ideas, but he tried to hard to reinvent the wheel at both stops. He has some interesting ideas though and actually he could benefit from learning the NFL ropes from a quality staff. 

Not sure I would want Chip around.  Like Digger said he is an innovator but also seems to be a big power hungry and that doesn't seem to fit the Packers way of doing business.  That and the fact that he thinks he can just outscore teams and don't even give defense much of a thought doesn't work in  the NFL.  The guy really needs to suck it up and go back to college. 

The part about Kelly is at the end of this MMQB article (which has other Packer stuff). These points stuck out to me:

• Sports science. To dispel this rumor, no, Kelly didn’t invent smoothies. But he did force teams in a competitive league to look hard at every aspect of their respective operations, and the focus on developing the total athlete seems to be more intense.

“I believe he knew what he wanted and had vision in Philly, but the execution and communication were questionable,” said another AFC exec. “But the league now looks different at all aspects of sports science and practice routines as a result of his stop in Philly—bigger staffs, more emphasis on little parts of programs, more open-mindedness.”

An NFC GM added, “He did a lot of different training, pre-hab (that everyone looked at), and working on different schedules for practices. He was innovative.”

There was the music at practice. The idea that the day before the game shouldn’t be a walkthrough. Monday as a recovery day, rather than a review day. And so on.

In the end, if this is it, history will show the Kelly experiment didn’t work. But the truth is, we all learned a lot in the process.

Chip has something to offer to football. He's never going to reshape a team to his vision, it takes too long and no organization will be patient enough. I don't know if his personality would ever fit with a guy like McCarthy, but Chip seems like a guy who thinks outside the box (too far sometimes). Teams always need an edge to stay successful, you need to either be doing something that no one else is doing and you need do what everyone else is doing except be doing it better. Chip does the former, McCarthy does the latter. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

Rinse, repeat.

Danny Snyder is a moron beyond words.

He can have all the money on the world, he'll always be the little prick that gets picked on...because he's a prick.

If Snyder is a prick, what does that make Jed York?

Did Snyder make that call to fire the DC? or was it McCloughan?

I'm assuming Gruden doesn't really have a whole lotta say in the matter.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.