Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Read the article. Started wondering what it would take to go up and get Q Nelson again. 

All the mock headโ€™s seem to be coming around to the fact heโ€™s probably the best player in this draft and heโ€™d be going top 3 if he wasnโ€™t a guard. He still may go #2 to NY. 

I like McCray and Murphy. I just like them a lot more as depth guys. GB has to do better than that on the right side. 

Bulaga would likely be gone if Spriggs became the lock at RT he should have become by now. But heโ€™s not close to that. Making him one of Tedโ€™s worst draft mistakes behind Khyri Thornton. 

If GB goes OL in round 1 Iโ€™m fine with it. IMO itโ€™s the biggest area they need to improve on in the draft. 

Agree that GB has a few areas they need to improve on. But you always, always build inside out. If you have really good lines on offense and defense you are able to cover weaknesses at the skill positions. If you're really good at the skill positions but have ineffective lines everything else is kind of pointless. 

The OL has been a rotating patchwork the last two years. They haven't adequately replaced Lang or Sitton yet. Evans was a life saver last year at 34 but he's probably not coming back. Even if he does it isn't likely he'll make it through another full season. 

Just my opinion that GB needs to upgrade the OL before anything else. 

Nelson is great, but he's a luxury the team can't afford. Besides...there are other linemen in this draft who are also very good prospects. I do like Hernandez in the 2nd, and I'm sure the team would consider taking him there, and maybe even move up a couple of spots, if necessary...all that stuff is hard to project.

Isaiah Wynn is well-regarded, too, and so are Braden Smith, and Colby Gossett....all in the guard category.

As far as tackles go, I don't see them taking McGlinchey, unless he's there in the 2nd. Same goes for Connor Williams. I've heard Austin Corbett's name mentioned in the same paragraph as the Packers, so I wouldn't be surprised if they take him in the 3rd or 4th round. He fits the mold of a tackle-turned-guard.

I don't see an O-Lineman being drafted by the Packers before the 3rd or 4th round.

Grave Digger posted:

If Will Hernandez is there in R2 (unlikely) that would be a good scenario. He looks like a plug and play starter immediately. 

I've seen mocks with GB taking him at 14. That's a serious reach but he's getting attention after his work at the senior bowling and the combine. Everyone knew about his strength but his 40 time is what turned some heads. 

Rd1 14 is too early for him. He won't be there at 14th pick in round 2. But he's got "prototypical NFL G" written all over him. 

Unless someone unexpectedly falls to them that they're in love with I don't see them going OL early either. Interesting to see what they do at RT. Given his age, injury history and cap number it's the perfect time to move on from Bulaga but the failure of Spriggs to develop as expected complicates matters.  A bit premature to call him a miss, but he's not trending in a positive direction. 

WTH has happened to Orlando Brown?
I've read where he performed terribly at the combine, but was that the real deal? Is he that poor a prospect?

Spriggs' problem is in his head, IMHO. He wasn't necessarily good, but his rookie year was night/day better than last year. I've always thought that bad players don't get worse, they just plateau early and never get better, so I think he got a bug in his head over last offseason.
Since he was injured later in the year, he may start out this year even further behind the 8 ball if he's not ready to go by TC.

Timmy! posted:

WTH has happened to Orlando Brown?
I've read where he performed terribly at the combine, but was that the real deal? Is he that poor a prospect?

Spriggs' problem is in his head, IMHO. He wasn't necessarily good, but his rookie year was night/day better than last year. I've always thought that bad players don't get worse, they just plateau early and never get better, so I think he got a bug in his head over last offseason.
Since he was injured later in the year, he may start out this year even further behind the 8 ball if he's not ready to go by TC.

I do know that Brown had a terrible combine and only did something like 13 or 14 reps on the weights.  Which for a guy who is something like 6 foot 7 and 350+ pounds is not good.  I think the RB Barkely might have doubled the weight Brown did. 

I didnt hear how he did at the Oklahoma pro day though he was talking about working harder on the weights for the scouts.

michiganjoe posted:
Johnson posted:

Ted made some extraordinary picks, but this trade up was really bad. 

Very similar to the move to get Jerel Worthy. Misses are the nature of the business and they're going to happen. My issue is when you look at the totality of the recent drafts they're not nearly good enough, especially if you're not willing to utilize free agency much. 

Just for ****'s n giggles. I looked up Packer draft numbers since 2012. 

Green Bay has selected 54 players since 2012. 27 Offensive players selected. 27 defensive players selected. Exactly what you'd expect from TT.

But then things get interesting. 

If you look at the players selected in the first 5 rounds (where you'd expect some impact):

44% of the players selected by GB since 2012 in the first 5 rounds were defensive selections. Only 29% were offensive players. Which looks worse because only 24% of the defensive players selected since 2012 are still on the team compared to 29% of the offensive players that are still on the team. 

When you look at the 16 offensive players taken in the first 5 rounds since 2012 there are only three players that jump out as obvious misses. Hundley, Spriggs, and Lacy. 

When you look at the 24 defensive players taken in the first 5 rounds since 2012 that were misses or viewed as misses and allowed to leave it's too much to try and post so I won't even try. 

Which again begs the question. Has the defensive coaching in GB sucked that bad since 2012? I mean, the numbers don't say "bad drafting".

By the way. GB has selected a defensive player first for six consecutive years. Nick Perry, Datone Jones, Clinton-Dix, Randall, Kenny Clark, King. 

And no, I'm not going to be at all surprised when Damarious Randall makes the top 10 PFF CB list this time next year. 

EDIT: Ted selected 23 defensive players in the first 5 rounds since 2012 not 24. So it's 43% defense in rounds 1-5 since 2012. The defensive players he selected were Palmer, Barrington, Goodson, and Ringo. At least Goodson is still on the team Henry. But this does kind of open up the question of Ted possibly leaving defensive help on the board while he evened up O and D picks for guys like Datko, Dorsey, Coleman, Backman, Johnson, and Janis (sorry, had to)

Last edited by ChilliJon
ChilliJon posted:
michiganjoe posted:
Johnson posted:

Ted made some extraordinary picks, but this trade up was really bad. 

Very similar to the move to get Jerel Worthy. Misses are the nature of the business and they're going to happen. My issue is when you look at the totality of the recent drafts they're not nearly good enough, especially if you're not willing to utilize free agency much. 

And no, I'm not going to be at all surprised when Damarious Randall makes the top 10 PFF CB list this time next year. 

If he does, it will be as a safety....nice post!

MM knows it's put up or shut up time. 

I hope he gives a lot of thought about how Doug Pedersen managed the Eagles down the stretch. That sort of aggressiveness permeates the team. 

With 12 back and Pettine lighting fires and having unscouted looks a lot of the pieces are there. Gute needs to plug some holes, for sure. 

Now Mike just needs to get more balance and unscouted looks in the offensive playbook, and someone in the box to assist with game management. And 12 has to make it through the schedule.

What the Rams and Eagles are doing is worrisome on paper, but Dream Teams have this way of cratering because of chemistry and dudes wanting to get paid.

I like our chances.

Last edited by ilcuqui

I'm not a huge fan of Philbin but working with GOC seemed to get results.  It's pretty clear GOC is probably a worse judge of coaching staff than talent he puts on the field.  MacAdoo and Philbin didn't do squat when they got HC jobs.  MacAdoo completely unraveled in all of 28 games.  Philbin was in a tougher situation with the Dolphins so I won't bash him too hard.  

If Rodgers saves GOC again, fine.  Just don't meddle with Pettine and the defense.  Let's see what kind of GM they have now.  

I don't know how anyone calls drafting Eddie Lacy an "obvious miss".  Average career for a RB in the NFL is what, 3.6 years or something?  Lacy was every bit the blue chipper until the potato chips and injury bug got him after his first 3.5 years.  With a hobbled AR, we were riding him to Feb until the TE that shall not be named decided to play hero.

Otherwise that was a good breakdown.

michiganjoe posted:

Simply not good enough for a team that primarily relies on the draft.

Please show me a list of the other 31 teams from those same years.

Bakhtiari is arguably the best player in that entire draft. Adams is probably top 10 in a re-draft.

There are also players drafted by the Packers currently playing & playing well on other teams. It's a business with a salary cap.

It's not an exact science. 

Seemingly forgotten in all the post-TT forensics is the fact that he was picking at the end of every round since 2008.  Hard to get top level talent that way without taking some risks on guys you see with more potential instead of lower risk guys with lower ceilings.  A few too many of those didn't work out the last 5 years even though some did.  When you're a heavily D&D team, 10 years of late in the round drafting is going to catch up eventually.  

DH13 posted:

TT had 1 shot at drafting high and he knocked it out of the park.

Agree that the Raji-Matthews picks were, as a combo, a home run.

But while I try to forget Hawk as much as any Packer fan out there, there can be no denying AJ was the 5th overall pick in the NFL draft and TT is the man who drafted him. And AJ was nothing more than a weak single that barely makes the outfield.

As for TT's drafting overall, other than the great Matthews and beyond awesome Rodgers pick, he was really not that great in round 1 (where to be fair he was often picking at the bottom of the round).

Where he did excel, at least before 2011, was in rounds 2-4 (especially round 2 with Collins, Jennings, and Nelson - three wow picks).

That said, TT's mediocre drafting record since the Super Bowl win in 2010 coupled with the facts he made less use of free agency than any other NFL General Manager and did not make a single trade involving a player worth mentioning in over a decade left Murphy with little choice but to move on if the franchise was serious about getting back to the Super Bowl.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.