Skip to main content

I swear to God, I cannot believe the zero outrage for Gulati in this whole mess. This morning it's all about Arena failed, USA pay for play youth system is broken, players have no passion, blah blah blah.

First off, Arena is being scapegoated...he inherited this $hit show that Klinsy was the architect of...he did the best with what he had in the amount of time he had.

US Soccer has a budget of $1 Billion...in no way, shape or form, in a match of this magnitude should T&T have even been in it for more than a half, much less lead.

US Soccer needs to take a long hard look at itself over the next 12 months because what they do in that time frame will set up whether or not they are able to qualify for 2022. The last 12 months have eviscerated what it took 25 years to build. 1990 USMNT success set up the dream run in 1994, which set up the creation of MLS, which lead to some pretty decent success in 1998-2010.

You cannot model what Germany did starting in 2000 with a total revamp because the infrastructure is not there. In Germany, it was about getting everyone on the same page, running the same system. And it paid off. You are not going to swap out the pay-for-play youth model here...MLS isn't suddenly going to get better athletes. We heard people b*tch about Klinsy ignoring MLS players in favor of internationals...and though he bears a huge responsibility for this mess, he wasn't completely wrong in his approach...you need guys like Mix Diskerud, Aron Johanssen, Jermaine Jones, John Brooks, Timmy Chandler, etc. But you also need guys from MLS. You need the best 11 you can get, no matter where that is from.

A dark, dark day for American soccer.

Fukk it, I'm supporting Ghana in the WC.

This country is never going to become a world soccer power until you stop obsessing about coaching perfect players at a young age. Want to get good at soccer?

1. Get kids to watch the game so they can steal skills from the pros.

2. Encourage kids to go outside and kick the freaking ball so they can work on those moves, and so that they can develop their own moves.

3. Keep adults as far away from kids games as you can. As soon as the adults get there they start fukking things up by being overly structured.

This American obsession with coaching young kids has to stop at all levels. Kids just want to play.

Goalline posted:

This American obsession with coaching young kids has to stop at all levels. Kids just want to play.

Soccer in this country, especially at the youth level, is such a fukking process. Have to have uniforms. Have to have great boots. Have to have nets. Have to have a manicured pitch. Have to have 11 a side. Have to have orange slices and juice boxes.

Jesus fukk, you just need an even number of players and some sort of ball. Most of the kids in the world play with a duct tape wrapped wad of rags on a dirt lot in bare feet with nails and broken glass abound.

Then again, if you look at all youth sports in this country, parents are flat out nutters.

Then again, if you look at all youth sports in this country, parents are flat out nutters.

And many of the organizations. My youngest played soccer and loved to swim when he was younger/elementary age. 5 years ago his coach (Sean was with the same team since he was 5)  came to me and asked if Sean could stop the swimming practices. In the spring and summer the practices conflicted and he liked to swim since he didn't see those friends as often. We said no. Now 15, Sean swims year round and loves it. Has a great coach too. Saturday practices are always some fun activity. Water polo is a favorite, sometimes they go to a water park, I think they even played pick-up soccer 1 time.   

PackFoo posted:
Goalline posted:

Soccer in this country, especially at the youth level, is such a fukking process. Have to have uniforms. Have to have great boots. Have to have nets. Have to have a manicured pitch. Have to have 11 a side. Have to have orange slices and juice boxes.

Jesus fukk, you just need an even number of players and some sort of ball. Most of the kids in the world play with a duct tape wrapped wad of rags on a dirt lot in bare feet with nails and broken glass abound.

Yup! That's the biggest issue with sport in this country. PARENTS! Parents with delusions of grandeur living vicariously through their kids. Add in copious amounts of helicoptering and the kids have no chance.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.